IGNORED

Best Golf Instruction Book Out There?

Premo
Note: This thread is 2019 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've spent a good chunk of $ on lessons (mostly via Golftec), and found that I'm not that satisfied with the progress I've made. Recently I came across "Play Better Golf" written by Jack Nicklaus published in 1988. I read about a quarter of it so far and took it to the range to work on techniques in the book. I found this method to actually be pretty productive at a significantly better price than Golftec ($1000 for pack of 10 lessons at 30 min each) vs $15 for a book.

I'm wondering what people would consider some of the best golf books they've read that you could take to the range and use to significantly better your swing. Some that I've come across include:

• Ben Hogan's Five Lessons
  • The Impact Zone (Bobby Clampett)
  • Stack and Tilt Swing (Michael Bennett)
  • The Anatomy of Greatness: Lessons form the Best Golf Swings in History (Brandel Chamblee)
  • The Practice Manual: The Ultimate Guide for Golfers (Adam Young)

These were all highly rates on Amazon but obviously don't have time to buy/read all of them. Wondering the top 2 books people might suggest.

Edited by Premo

https://lowestscorewins.com

That book is at the top of my list.

I know Golftec is expensive, but books are not a substitute for live lessons. Books don't teach you what your swing priorities are.

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, billchao said:

https://lowestscorewins.com

That book is at the top of my list.

That book isn't sold on Amazon, btw.

But that's been the choice of their authors.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Don't have many instruction books on the bookshelf, but Lowest Score Wins is one of them.

I think there's good instructional content out there, but most of it is in video format now, and generally not on YouTube.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 hour ago, Premo said:

I've spent a good chunk of $ on lessons (mostly via Golftec), and found that I'm not that satisfied with the progress I've made. Recently I came across "Play Better Golf" written by Jack Nicklaus published in 1988. I read about a quarter of it so far and took it to the range to work on techniques in the book. I found this method to actually be pretty productive at a significantly better price than Golftec ($1000 for pack of 10 lessons at 30 min each) vs $15 for a book.

I'm wondering what people would consider some of the best golf books they've read that you could take to the range and use to significantly better your swing. Some that I've come across include:

• Ben Hogan's Five Lessons
  • The Impact Zone (Bobby Clampett)
  • Stack and Tilt Swing (Michael Bennett)
  • The Anatomy of Greatness: Lessons form the Best Golf Swings in History (Brandel Chamblee)
  • The Practice Manual: The Ultimate Guide for Golfers (Adam Young)

These were all highly rates on Amazon but obviously don't have time to buy/read all of them. Wondering the top 2 books people might suggest.

I’ve read a ton of books on golf instruction including all on your list except Chamblee’s. Honestly I’ve found nothing that compares to the information on this site. And I’m not saying that because I’m a supporter here...I’m a supporter because of that. With books you may get pics, no video. With books you can’t ask questions and get answered. LSW is the only book I use anymore. Otherwise I come here or take a live lesson.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I have not read all the books on the golf swing, but of the ones I have read, Earnest Jones's "Swing The Club Head" is my favorite. Easy to read, and understand for the beginner, and journeyman golfers. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I've read 4 or the 5 on the OP list. Lowest Score Wins tops them, as do Stan Utley's The Art of Putting and Dave Stockton's Unconscious Putting.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

LSW_Hogan, 5 Lessons_Gof Digest, How to Break 100, 90, 80_Shoemaker, Extraordinary Golf. And, of course, Golf in the Kingdom. Yours, -ShivasIrons

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

thanks for feedback - I'll have to check out LSW. Does the book provide specific instruction on building a swing or is more of a strategy, getting around the course type of book? I'm really looking to build and perfect a consistent sound swing as my primary interest. 

I liked Tyler Ferrell's The Stock Tour Swing.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Premo said:

thanks for feedback - I'll have to check out LSW. Does the book provide specific instruction on building a swing or is more of a strategy, getting around the course type of book? I'm really looking to build and perfect a consistent sound swing as my primary interest. 

A bit of both.

As @Vinsk said… you're probably better off just reading stuff here on TST and some other specific places. Hogan's book, while "good," often creates slicers who misinterpret a lot of stuff. Hogan's book has a lot of "feels" in it that worked for Hogan, but may or may not work for most golfers.

I'd recommend reading up on the 5 Simple Keys®, because regardless of the swing you build for yourself, if you do those five things well, you'll be a great golfer.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

As do many avid golfers I have read a lot of golf swing instruction books (including 3 from OPs list) and couple not on the list.  

In my opinion reading books on swing instruction is ok but it is akin to trying to get a medical degree on-line. You will learn something, but hard to apply sufficiently to benefit reasonably. Far from what you need to perform an actual surgery. I would say golf is harder since it is much more individualistic than most method swing books can consider. It's hard to know what will apply to you and what will not. 

My experience with learning 5SK and in-person instruction from the authors was/is pivotal in breaking through to the next level (I was a high HCPer few years ago with a physical compensation for an old injury). It allowed me to work with my individualistic absolutes while changing what was fluid significantly change my game.   

Vishal S.

I've enjoyed the 5SK and think they make sense but haven't found a lot of content online beyond a link to some drills and the basic overall description (referenced below). If there something I'm missing to get more content? I've been using Golftec for almost 3 years and looking for a change because I'm not seeing significant improvement. There seems to be so much conflicting info out there. My instructor advised a VERY strong grip and some other tips that seem to contradict what I've ready in the Jack Nicklaus book and other sources. 

http://purestrike5sk.com/videos.php#

http://5sk.com/index.php/site/about

• Administrator

5SK® is a system, not a single swing, @Premo.

Thus, you're best advised to look at any flaws in your swing against the 5SK®, and then find the means to improve that key. There are a lot of videos here, on 5SK®, even if they're not just named "Key #3 - blah blah blah" or whatever.

10 minutes ago, Premo said:

I've enjoyed the 5SK and think they make sense but haven't found a lot of content online beyond a link to some drills and the basic overall description (referenced below). If there something I'm missing to get more content? I've been using Golftec for almost 3 years and looking for a change because I'm not seeing significant improvement. There seems to be so much conflicting info out there. My instructor advised a VERY strong grip and some other tips that seem to contradict what I've ready in the Jack Nicklaus book and other sources. 

http://purestrike5sk.com/videos.php#

http://5sk.com/index.php/site/about

There is a wealth of instructional content linked here:

including a number of videos specially geared to the 5SK.  All of the instructional content on this site fits within the 5SK "umbrella".  For instance, 5SK doesn't define a specific grip to use, but the advice in this thread:

is consistent with the 5SK principles.  For more personalized instruction, I'd recommend you get some video of your swing and post it in the Member Swing forum.  Be sure to find the hidden contents button to learn how to get the best possible video (slo-mo, and form the proper angles).

• Informative 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:02 PM, Premo said:

Wondering the top 2 books people might suggest.

I got a lot out of "Be A Player" by Pia Nilsson and "Bulletproof Putting" by Michael McTeigue

I especially like the beginning of Bulletproof Putting. It talks about turning your putting into a bulletproof vest. Sure, you may take some hits now and then but at least it will keep you from getting killed. 

Edited by ChetlovesMer

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• 2 weeks later...

Vivien Saunders is a legendary teacher and a brilliant writer. Her book, Advanced Golf, is a never-ending source of information other golf books never bring up, and which can make big differences in your technique. I find something new almost every time I dip into it.

Cary Middlecoff's book, The Golf Swing, analyzes swings of golfing greats from Vardon to Palmer, Player, and Nicklaus. His comments on learning and practice are invaluable. As well, he is an outstanding writer with a style all his own.

Note: This thread is 2019 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!