IGNORED

Hole in 1 on a par 3 course

Tommy_Boy14
Note: This thread is 1993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Possibly a stupid question here... would you count a hole in 1 on a par 3 course the same as you would on a regular 18 hole course?  I've never had one on either but just curious on everyone's take on this

• Upvote 1

Thomas

Driver: :tmade: M3 10*  3 Wood: :nike: Vapor Fly 12*  Hybrid: :tmade: P790 UDI 2 Iron  Irons: :titleist: 716 AP2 (4-PW)  Wedges: :vokey:  52*, 56*, 60* Putter: :tmade: TP Juno  Shoes: :nike: Lunar Command,  :adidas: 360 Traxion, :adidas: Tour Boost 360  Bag: :titleist: 2016 Lightweight Stand Bag

Let's put it another way - you go to a Par 4 that's 320 yards long.  Drive it 260, then dunk the 60 yard approach shot.  I don't see anyone arguing that just because the hole out is 60 yards, that it's still not an eagle......

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Take em anyway you can get em. Besides, just because a course is a par-3 doesn't make it easy. 

Our local has eight holes longer than 200 yards. One of them is a stupid 256. I don't like that hole very much.

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

Let's put it another way - you go to a Par 4 that's 320 yards long.  Drive it 260, then dunk the 60 yard approach shot.  I don't see anyone arguing that just because the hole out is 60 yards, that it's still not an eagle......

That's not the same thing though. You had to hit two good shots there, not just hole out from a perfect lie from 60-130 yards given 18 chances to do so.

I mean, I don't think I would count it as a hole in one. Maybe if it was an upscale type of par three course.

Let's just put it this way: I nearly holed out my first tee shot at The Cradle with @mvmac and @cipher. I would not have counted that as a hole-in-one, and I'm currently sitting on a big fat zero.

But if someone else wants to, I couldn't care less. Good for them.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yes, but depending on the length I'd probably qualify the claim. 

Most part 3 courses have a few shots that require a short or mid irons, and while they are generally a bit softer overall, an ace I think is just as valid. If it's an 80 yarder, then I'd still count it , but it would have an asterisk. Sort of counting the hero challenge as a PGA tour win , or the PGA championship as a major. 

A hole in one, is a hole in one. You holed out in one stroke. The fact that its a shorter/longer par 3 makes no difference.  A "1" on the score card is still a "1". 

Besides, how many amateurs make hios on a par 4? Maybe a few, but I would guess the over whelming majority are made on par 3s. 

All of mine were on par threes. Some were much shorter than others, but they all counted the same on the score card 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

The USGA confirms there are no "rules" related to what is or is not a valid hole-in-one.  They say:

Rule Misc.

Validity of Hole in One

Q. What constitutes the validity of a hole in one?

A. The Rules of Golf do not address the issue of the validity of a hole-in-one. It is up to the Committee to determine whether a hole-in-one is valid. The USGA recommends that a hole-in-one be considered valid:

1. If made during a round of at least nine holes, except that a hole-in-one made during a match should be acceptable even if the match ends before the stipulated round is completed.
  2. If the player is playing one ball; a hole-in-one made in a practice round in which the player is playing two or more balls should not be acceptable.
  3. If attested by someone acceptable to the Committee.
  4. If made at a hole with a temporary tee and/or putting green in use, even if the Committee did not specifically define the teeing ground with tee-markers; the length of the hole at the time should be stated on any certificate.
  5. If made in a "scramble" competition, which is played as follows: A side comprises four players. Each member of a side plays from the teeing ground, the best drive is selected, each member plays a second shot from where the best drive is located, and so on.

For me personally, I agree with the USGA except the minimum of 9-holes.  If you play 6 and have to leave, so what.  I also do not think one needs to have a witness.  It is certainly cooler to have others enjoy the feat but if you are playing alone, why should I not believe you? (unless one is going to win something or "set a record" and get publicity)

• Thumbs Up 1

Brian Kuehn

I think I would count it, at least at my local courses, mainly because of the lengths of the holes. My executive course has two par-4 holes, one of which is only 250 yards, so I’d count that if I holed it. The par-3  holes are 155, 147, 175, 154, 134 and 100. All of those —except the 100– are within the range of the par-3 hole lengths (126 to 178) at my muni (white tees). 

Or am I missing something here?

I’ve come within a foot or two at least 3 times on the 126 yarder at the muni, but never at the executive course. 

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

20 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

For me personally, I agree with the USGA except the minimum of 9-holes.  If you play 6 and have to leave, so what. 

I can live with this requirement - If I ever get an ace, the rest of the day is cancelled and I'll finish out whatever! 

Personally, I think for me to count it, the hole would have to be 100+ yards. Basically, I would need to make a full swing.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

On 11/16/2018 at 5:21 PM, Patch said:

A hole in one, is a hole in one. You holed out in one stroke. The fact that its a shorter/longer par 3 makes no difference.  A "1" on the score card is still a "1". 

Besides, how many amateurs make hios on a par 4? Maybe a few, but I would guess the over whelming majority are made on par 3s. 

All of mine were on par threes. Some were much shorter than others, but they all counted the same on the score card 

I agree! You don't see a whole lot of holes in one done on par 4's, they are done on par 3's! I don't care if the course is filled with them. You make a swing from the tee and it goes in the hole! Hole in one! Congratulations!

Depends on the Par-3 course; if it was a pitch & putt type course with holes under 100 yards then probably not. But if I got one on the par 31 course around here that I sometime play I would certainly count it, as they are "real" par 3 holes (blue - 174, 201, 208,168,191, white 139, 160, 165, 145, 158) I typically mix the tees I play when I'm there to hit shots from distances I'm working on & because I hate playing the same yardage/club twice in a round on 3 pars so I would likely play those 5 holes from 174, 160, 208, 145, & 191) - it's a fun way to spend $12 bucks (and there is no club house, so no worry about buying that round)

Disclosure - 0 career aces

Players play, tough players win!

On 11/16/2018 at 3:28 PM, iacas said:

That's not the same thing though. You had to hit two good shots there, not just hole out from a perfect lie from 60-130 yards given 18 chances to do so.

I mean, I don't think I would count it as a hole in one. Maybe if it was an upscale type of par three course.

Let's just put it this way: I nearly holed out my first tee shot at The Cradle with @mvmac and @cipher. I would not have counted that as a hole-in-one, and I'm currently sitting on a big fat zero.

But if someone else wants to, I couldn't care less. Good for them.

I'm at zero also. 

Aanalogies are always a little "not the same though"  but that's as close as I can get (eagle on a par 4).

Personally?  I wouldn't be as thrilled at a little short ace vs one I'd consider more 'typical' of a good course.  Though lots of super cool courses also have a very short 3 in there....  But I have a hard time picking a differentiating criteria. 

I think a "Par 3 course" is not a good way to discuss it.  Maybe, instead, what yardage is 'too short' to feel like claiming the hole in one, makes one pause a beat and think about it.

If a gun was held to my head to draw a line?  I put the split on whether it's a wedge or a longer club

• Wedge ace?  Yeah, it's a hole in one (frown.....smile a little bit)  PW goes 125 or so (I think my line is somewhere between 100 and 120)
  • Iron or longer in?  YEAH!!!!  (Smile)

It's so arbitrary......

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 1993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!