IGNORED

Why Do You Play Golf? A Two Option Poll

iacas
Note: This thread is 1939 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Why You Play  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which matters more to you when playing golf?

• Shooting lower scores.
    • Having fun.

• Administrator

Just answer the poll, and you must choose one or the other.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

Just answer the poll, and you must choose one or the other.

Just my opinion, but I think unless you are getting paid or have aspirations of earning a living from this game, then its pretty pointless playing unless your main aim is to enjoy it. After all, it is a hobby for most. 

• Like 1

I play to have fun, and for the exercise. 

Shooting lower/good/consistent scores is just a byproduct of the having fun part

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Dean Walker said:

Just my opinion, but I think unless you are getting paid or have aspirations of earning a living from this game, then its pretty pointless playing unless your main aim is to enjoy it. After all, it is a hobby for most. 

I tend to agree, but someone on Twitter is asserting otherwise.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I play the game to have fun. Having said that, the game is A LOT more fun if you can shoot a lower score. I'm been improving a lot of late and therefore, it's been more fun this year than most. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

1 minute ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I play the game to have fun. Having said that, the game is A LOT more fun if you can shoot a lower score. I'm been improving a lot of late and therefore, it's been more fun this year than most. 

This ^^

It amazes me how many golfers walk off 18 without a smile. My worst round on the golf course is still a nice morning walk in a pleasant environment, with usually good company and a beer or a coffee after. 

• Like 1

Stevie T

Maybe it is a cynical-sounding kind of an answer, but I really can't think of what else I would do.

This gets driven home very hard in the winter. I was walking around my front yard last weekend trying to see if the ground showed signs of thawing. Ended up watching TV and doing house chores. Some weekend.

I'm always trying to shoot scores, but to an extent that's out of my control.  I can work all I want, try to improve my game, but I'm going to have bad days.  Most important is that I have fun, not just when I DO shoot good scores, but when I play poorly too.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I play to have fun. When I inevitably sometimes play poorly (for me), I laugh at myself, enjoy my friends, and try my best to find a swing that'll work for the round. We have a sometimes member of our foursome who gets angry and frustrated, throws clubs, etc. Needless to say, not as much fun to play with as the others.

57 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Fun for me is shooting lower scores.

I agree with this to an extent.

I wouldn't say that how much fun I have is 100% related to my score, I'd say that how much fun I have is more directly related to how well I am hitting the ball, which usually (though not always) translates to better scores. I have more fun hitting the ball solid and where I am aimed and shooting an 80 than I do spraying it all over the place, few lucky bounces, and ending up with a 77.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

17 minutes ago, klineka said:

I wouldn't say that how much fun I have is 100% related to my score, I'd say that how much fun I have is more directly related to how well I am hitting the ball, which usually (though not always) translates to better scores. I have more fun hitting the ball solid and where I am aimed and shooting an 80 than I do spraying it all over the place, few lucky bounces, and ending up with a 77.

Shooting lower scores is inclusive of all fun things including great ball striking. Never have I 'good bounced' to shooting a 70s round or even low 80s for that matter.

These days anything I shoot in upper 80s (my high rounds) is result of listless ball striking. I don't pout or anything but it's just so meh..

So yeah, low scores is fun for all the right reasons. Any other form of fun around the course involves the 19th hole..🍺

Vishal S.

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, klineka said:

Another way to look at the question is to ask whether removing one or the other would make you more likely to quit the game. For me, if I shoot 67 but don’t have any fun, that’d make me more likely to quit the game than shooting 77 but having a blast.

Obviously it’s a bit of a false dichotomy, but I’m not selling it as a truth or anything; just another way to consider which truly means more to you.

1 minute ago, GolfLug said:

So yeah, low scores is fun for all the right reasons. Any other form of fun around the course involves the 19th hole..🍺

Pretty sure you had fun at Dormie Club… man.

I play because I like to play.  While suffering through a poor round can be difficult...it beats working six ways to Sunday.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I am a little confused why one can't desire to do both? They do not appear mutual exclusive. In fact I would argue that shooting lower scores makes one happier. 

Personally I play golf for the social aspect. Hanging out with other people who enjoy to play a game where we get to be outside, get some exercise, and have a small competition. Unless you are playing @DaveP043 in match play, then it is serious work. 

• Like 4

Michael

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

Another way to look at the question is to ask whether removing one or the other would make you more likely to quit the game. For me, if I shoot 67 but don’t have any fun, that’d make me more likely to quit the game than shooting 77 but having a blast.

Obviously it’s a bit of a false dichotomy, but I’m not selling it as a truth or anything; just another way to consider which truly means more to you.

Phrased that way, removing all fun out of the game would make me quit faster than if I suddenly started shooting 20 strokes worse.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I would have voted for both, but the object of “playing golf” is to shoot lower scores?😁

Sometimes I go on the course to have fun too 😂🤪😂

Most of the time to have fun, but that’s not playing golf because I’m trying things I know won’t keep my score as low as possible 😊

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 1939 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!