IGNORED

Knee Drop Height - Absurd or Just Something to Get Used To?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1817 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Knee Drop Height  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following statements most accurately reflects how you think dropping from knee height?

• We'll get used to it pretty quickly.
    • It's still gonna feel weird in 2021.

• Administrator

Vote in the poll above.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think that I'll get used to it okay, but it's still going to feel odd for a while, just as it felt odd when they went from over the back of the shoulder to having the arm straight out.  I think that the relative oddness will stick with us old farts longer, just because we have been doing it the other way for so long.

• Like 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Quickly.  But "quickly" might depend on how often we have to take a drop.  Played twice this weekend, and didn't drop at all.  After a few times, I don't think I'll even think about it. 

2 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

I think that the relative oddness will stick with us old farts longer, just because we have been doing it the other way for so long.

Yeah, getting the neurons to learn new pathways. [OT, but kind of related: I'm still trying to get used to "Indianapolis" in front of "Colts."  All season long I've been calling them the "San Diego" Chargers.  And I'm glad the Rams finally moved back to LA so I'm saying it right again.  Don't get me started on the Cardinals ...]

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

It's just something new to get used to. I think it will be picked up rather quickly.  As @Missouri Swede mentioned, it kinda depends on how often you drop.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

It'll be a non-issue by summer for most of us. I'm sure I'll need a reminder a couple of times in the next couple of months. After doing it a couple of times, it will be second nature.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator
knee-height-curtsy.jpg

Under the new Rules of Golf, golfers take relief by dropping from knee high. Here's how to drop from knee height and not look ridiculous.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It helps if you have long arms and short legs like I do (I'm 6'1" but only wear pants with a 30" inseam).  I only have to lower the ball about 6 inches from standing straight up to get to proper drop height. ;-)

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Here are some options on how to drop(not all of these may be legal, strictly speaking):

Edited by DeadMan
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I don’t see there being any issue.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

3 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Here are some options on how to drop(not all of these may be legal, strictly speaking):

https://twitter.com/teekkelly/status/1081211015063314432

The comments on that tweet show a horrible understanding of the drop.  I don't get it that they (the commenters) don't get it.  I mean, the RoG even has pictures that answer their questions.

As far as how to drop, hey, if that's what he wants to do, as long as it's from the correct height and it doesn't cause it to spin or roll, etc., go for it.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

It helps if you have long arms and short legs like I do (I'm 6'1" but only wear pants with a 30" inseam).  I only have to lower the ball about 6 inches from standing straight up to get to proper drop height. ;-)

Most people only have to lower about 6". With your arms hanging at your sides, they're not as far above your knees as a lot of people seem to think.

I like #4 too. 😄

Dropping from knee height will be easy for me since I'm normally praying for a good lie anyway.

1375373401_ScreenShot2019-01-07at10_55_50AM.png.45c9c4ec8ef06eebded54fe358731f31.png

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Dropping from knee height will be easy for me since I'm normally praying for a good lie anyway.

1375373401_ScreenShot2019-01-07at10_55_50AM.png.45c9c4ec8ef06eebded54fe358731f31.png

I know you're joking, but I want to clarify that "knee height" is defined as the height of your knee when standing.

You can lie down and so long as you release the ball from, what, 18" or so up, you're fine.

Does the rule say it has to be dropped by your hand? I feel like there is an opportunity to create an item that will hold the ball and with the pull of a trigger release it at knee height. People are lazy enough to buy one :-P

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Does the rule say it has to be dropped by your hand? I feel like there is an opportunity to create an item that will hold the ball and with the pull of a trigger release it at knee height. People are lazy enough to buy one :-P

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=rule&rulenum=14

Nope.

You could also squeeze the ball between your knees and "drop" it that way.

I assume I will easily adopt the proper drop process. This weekend, however, I twice dropped from shoulder height when moving out of a puddle so clearly a bit of time and memory will be needed for this old dog to learn.

Edited by bkuehn1952

Brian Kuehn

Note: This thread is 1817 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!