Caveman59

Poll: Bermuda Or Bent Grass Preferences

Putting surface preference  

17 members have voted

1. 1. On which grass do you prefer to putt?

• Bermuda
    • Bent
    • No preference
    • Some other answer. Explain.

17 posts / 590 viewsLast Reply

Which type of grass do you prefer to roll the rock on and why???

I grew up on bent, so it's a little easier for me to read.  Sometimes you'll get the occasional optical illusion.

Edited by RandallT
Poll added

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

“ some other” ......So long as the crew are maintaining the greens I don’t care. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play the course I am at, and, to be honest, never have I cared and never have I not played a course because I do not like the type of grass on the green or ground.  It maybe that I am not that good of a golfer to benefit from one or the other.

On the other hand, I will not play a course if it is not properly maintained!

Edited by DrMJG

So long as the greens are cut to a decent speed, they play practically the same. I haven't had any issues playing from poa to bent to bermuda.  The main issue is controlling spin coming into the greens.

Bent grass because it’s what I play golf on 99% of the time. 

I have no issue with Bermuda. 

One of my favorite grass types for putting is this championship bermuda that has taken over in Pinehurst. It’s really dense, short blade, and has medium low grain impact, and the ball rolls super pure. 

Since I've only played 2 rounds in my life on Bermuda, I don't really have any thoughts on that.  I know it hat it was certainly different.  The course I played back in the mid '90s in Ft. Myers, FL (San Carlos Golf Club) was very grainy, but I spent a half hour on the practice green and didn't really have any issues with putting once I learned to adjust for the grain effect.  Trying to chip and pitch out of Bermuda rough was a nightmare for me.  

Most of the courses I play don't have bent grass either - I'm most used to rye, sometimes with poa annua mixed in. I'm not an agronomist, so I don't know all of the strains used for putting greens, but as long as they aren't Bermuda, I don't see that much difference between them.  Bermuda is the only turf I've putted on where I had to really consider and figure out the grain on every putt.

It don't matter. Truth be known, most of the time, I can't tell the difference between the two when putting. Maybe a little difference later in the day, during the sunny, warmer months. 

As long as the greens are well maintained, and consistent, that's all I really care about. I can adjust my putting stroke as needed. 

Bent, only because that's what I have the most experience with. I've played on some good Bermuda greens, and I'm sure if lived someplace where Bermuda was the grass used on the greens, I wouldn't have a problem.

The old style, super grainy Bermuda is pretty much ancient history.  The hybrids that most quality, southern courses use these days are spectacular when properly maintained.

I have no preference...

9 hours ago, Caveman59 said:

Which type of grass do you prefer to roll the rock on and why???

I grew up on bent, so it's a little easier for me to read.  Sometimes you'll get the occasional optical illusion.

In the early mornings I love how bent grass greens give off that mirrored gleam that shimmers like millions of tiny insects gathered together holding umbrellas...it’s a mystical sight to behold. The undulations like green waves of a calm but deceitful ocean. Ahhh the smell of a finely mowed green fills my....💥👏....wait..oh..sorry..yeah , no preference.

I can't say I honestly pay much attention to the type of grass on the course, but I know Colorado is pretty much entirely Bent Grass. The only time I notice is when I go play Bermuda and have a much more difficult time finding my ball in the rough because it's swallowed whole by the tangles and knots.

As far as putting goes I don't notice much of a difference between the two when I'm playing, at least not consciously. I take some time to adjust to the greens at any course I play, and I suppose in the process I'm also adjusting if they have a different type of grass.

I play varieties of bent most often so that would be my slight preference.  As others have said, new versions of Bermuda are great putting services, too.

3 hours ago, Vinsk said:

In the early mornings I love how bent grass greens give off that mirrored gleam that shimmers like millions of tiny insects gathered together holding umbrellas.

Now that passage needed highlighting for its imagery. Ain’t nobody gonna be voting Bermuda now! 😛

I'm happy on any well-maintained surface.  In my view, bent was the best for a long time, but modern Bermuda is at least as good as bent, and performs better in some climates.