IGNORED

Bubba Watson Bought a New Car

Chilli Dipper
Note: This thread is 3161 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Over the last week, that car depreciated approximately 99%.

You misspelled appreciated. I'll bet it became even more desirable.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Over the last week, that car depreciated approximately 99%.

I think the guys hiding behind  masks wearing red and white robes would drive up the price .... if they had the money.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Funny that NASCAR denied him... The confederate flag thing is a bit out of hand, but just another "don't offend anyone" target and not much of a surprise. Things like Dukes being pulled from TV Land is sad and I've even heard that people are turning to Gone with the Wind as another target too.... All I can do is :no:

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

You misspelled appreciated. I'll bet it became even more desirable.

Bubba to paint over Confederate flag on General Lee

In light of the renewed controversy surrounding the Confederate flag, Bubba Watson tweeted Thursday that he will be removing the flag's image from the roof of the General Lee, the iconic car from the "Dukes of Hazzard" TV series.

Watson purchased the General Lee in January 2012.

Debate around the flag has intensified in recent weeks after a gunman entered the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, S.C., on June 17 and killed nine people.

Watson tweeted:

All men ARE created equal, I believe that so I will be painting the American flag over the roof of the General Lee

— bubba watson (@bubbawatson) July 2, 2015
http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/bubba-paint-over-confederate-flag-general-lee/

Our country is going to shit. News flash if you do not like something or someone then do not associate yourself with it/them. Do not expect society to conform to your thoughts or ideas. What happened to "land of the free".

So, it's ok t offend a big section of the population as long as they are black? Let's bring back segregation, Amos n Andy, minstrel shows I'm sure that wouldn't be offensive to a lot of people. This flag might represent heritage to some, but it represents the heritage of people owning other people to some people, as well. If black people say this flag represents racism, then, it does. I have never been a big Bubba fan, but now I am.
  • Upvote 1

So, it's ok t offend a big section of the population as long as they are black? Let's bring back segregation, Amos n Andy, minstrel shows I'm sure that wouldn't be offensive to a lot of people. This flag might represent heritage to some, but it represents the heritage of people owning other people to some people, as well. If black people say this flag represents racism, then, it does. I have never been a big Bubba fan, but now I am.

Well that is one way to put words in someones mouth. Its a F'ing flag. I am offended by people (any race, religion, gender) who do not try to be productive members of society and rather leach off of government benefits but I doubt that will ever get changed.

Our country is going to shit. News flash if you do not like something or someone then do not associate yourself with it/them. Do not expect society to conform to your thoughts or ideas. What happened to "land of the free".

Bubba is entitled to paint his car however he wants and that's what he is going to do. Not sure what about that goes against freedom and I'm pretty sure he's doing exactly what you're suggesting: the Confederate flag has a stigma of racism attached to it and he doesn't want to associate himself with that.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

His PR team probably suggested it. My fraternity brother and college roomates brother was roomates and fraternity brothers with Bubba at UGA. I played two rounds with him when he was still in school and guarantee if it was not for being in thw public eye that flag would stay on his car. Regardless prior to I was referring to the whole flag ban issue not Bubbas paint job.

@upndown21 has a good point. All he's saying is that everyone is becoming PC. There appears to be erosion of individual expression of freedom. Bubba does have right to do whatever he pleases with his car. However, it appears he is driven by the political wind. He knew that flag was there when he bought it. He didn't decide to paint over it until the political climate changed. I don't agree with a lot of things, but I agree one has every right to express them.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Good for Bubba. I completely agree with Jeremie in regards to people taking this flag thing waaaaay too far though. Take it off the government buildings and state flags, stop selling it at Walmart, etc ... That all makes perfect sense. But removing Dukes from Syndication and crap like that is silly and, I believe, completely unnecessary.
  • Upvote 2

His PR team probably suggested it. My fraternity brother and college roomates brother was roomates and fraternity brothers with Bubba at UGA. I played two rounds with him when he was still in school and guarantee if it was not for being in thw public eye that flag would stay on his car. Regardless prior to I was referring to the whole flag ban issue not Bubbas paint job.

I'm confused. Bubba performed an action based on the advice of people he pays to give him advice. This somehow is evidence we're losing freedom? Please tell me I'm misunderstanding your post.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Bubba is entitled to paint his car however he wants and that's what he is going to do. Not sure what about that goes against freedom and I'm pretty sure he's doing exactly what you're suggesting: the Confederate flag has a stigma of racism attached to it and he doesn't want to associate himself with that.

You're right Bubba owns the car and has the right to paint it however he wants.  If it was me I wouldn't repaint it.  He paid a lot for the car because it's a collectible, ridiculous levels of PC are forcing him to remove the confederate flag and reduce the value the car has as a collectible.

At some point we have to stop the craziness of PC, ultimately anyone can be offended by anything and in the days of social media they can foster sufficient support to ban it.  What's next banning the display of crucifixes because religious groups are known to be anti-gay and the LGBT community is offended by their presence on churches and around peoples necks?   When special interest groups can decide what is and isn't offensive and infringe on the majorities Freedom of Speech we've lost sight of what the Constitution was put in place to protect.

Minimally there should have been a national vote on the banning of the confederate flag, that's how democracy is supposed to work.

For purposes of disclosure I never owned a confederate flag, nor am I from the south, I just can't stand to watch our government erode our rights under the guise of PC.   I have since ordered a confederate flag online and will display it in my backyard as a personal protest to this insanity.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

I'm confused. Bubba performed an action based on the advice of people he pays to give him advice. This somehow is evidence we're losing freedom? Please tell me I'm misunderstanding your post.

reread my last sentence

You're right Bubba owns the car and has the right to paint it however he wants.  If it was me I wouldn't repaint it.  He paid a lot for the car because it's a collectible, ridiculous levels of PC are forcing him to remove the confederate flag and reduce the value the car has as a collectible.

At some point we have to stop the craziness of PC, ultimately anyone can be offended by anything and in the days of social media they can foster sufficient support to ban it.  What's next banning the display of crucifixes because religious groups are known to be anti-gay and the LGBT community is offended by their presence on churches and around peoples necks?   When special interest groups can decide what is and isn't offensive and infringe on the majorities Freedom of Speech we've lost sight of what the Constitution was put in place to protect.

Minimally there should have been a national vote on the banning of the confederate flag, that's how democracy is supposed to work.

For purposes of disclosure I never owned a confederate flag, nor am I from the south, I just can't stand to watch our government erode our rights under the guise of PC.   I have since ordered a confederate flag online and will display it in my backyard as a personal protest to this insanity.

I don't think the government is eroding rights.

I believe the intent is to take down a Confederate Battle Flag from governmental owned building/places.

After all, the South did not win the war. Why should a State waive that flag?

As to private waiving/showing, no ban exists. Now if private business believes the flag now stands for 150 years of racism/hate/death, I think it is their privilege to not sell the flag.

I wonder if the flag started showing up more and more during the civil rights movement when the old South felt threatened. Some people cling to a security blanket when threatened.

As to Bubba, I would keep the car as he bought it. That car is more of a good old boy thang, and I don't recall the tv series/movie condoning  racism.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I guess we will never know if it will make the care more desirable now. I heard about the shooting but don't know anything of the specifics since I do not watch the news. I read some history quite a while ago about the Rebel Flag that claimed that flag stood for other southern rights and not supporting slavery. It could be just interweb propaganda though.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

You're right Bubba owns the car and has the right to paint it however he wants.  If it was me I wouldn't repaint it.  He paid a lot for the car because it's a collectible, ridiculous levels of PC are forcing him to remove the confederate flag and reduce the value the car has as a collectible. At some point we have to stop the craziness of PC, ultimately anyone can be offended by anything and in the days of social media they can foster sufficient support to ban it.  What's next banning the display of crucifixes because religious groups are known to be anti-gay and the LGBT community is offended by their presence on churches and around peoples necks?   When special interest groups can decide what is and isn't offensive and infringe on the majorities Freedom of Speech we've lost sight of what the Constitution was put in place to protect. Minimally there should have been a national vote on the banning of the confederate flag, that's how democracy is supposed to work. For purposes of disclosure I never owned a confederate flag, nor am I from the south, I just can't stand to watch our government erode our rights under the guise of PC.   I have since ordered a confederate flag online and will display it in my backyard as a personal protest to this insanity.

He's not being forced to do it, he's choosing to do it. Also, I think it's a little much to say the car is a collectors item to him and that he cares about its value. He drove it to a PGA tour event and parked it in the parking lot. That's not how one treats a collectors item. That would be like sticking a Honus Wagner baseball card in your bike spokes or playing street hockey with a puck signed by Wayne Gretzky. ;)

Nobody is forcing him to do anything. He is choosing to paint over the flag.

I have to laugh when I see something like this. I always see people complaining about the country becoming more PC, etc. and claiming that it's infringing upon their rights. Nobody is telling you that you have to be PC. You are still free to say whatever you want, just as you are free to live the consequences of your words and actions.

There are a lot of special interest groups I don't agree with, but when the "special interest" is a reflection of the position of the majority, how can that still be considered special interest? I'm sorry that your views do not align with that, but that's how democracy works. Without special interest groups, we wouldn't have women's suffrage, the civil rights movement, etc.

As far as I know, it isn't illegal to own or fly the Confederate flag. A large portion of the population (I'm talking in SC, specifically) want it removed from the state capitol because it doesn't accurately represent their values and there's a large movement in support of them. That's democracy in action.

If anything, making the flag illegal on the national level would bring up all those arguments about violating Constitutional rights.

And that's your right. Nobody is going to knock down your front door and force you to remove that flag. Your First Amendment rights that you claim aren't being protected are still in place.

BTW if you're so convicted in this protest, might I suggest you fly the flag on your front yard instead?

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 3161 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!