IGNORED

Superstitious?

aaronwright21
Note: This thread is 3508 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Found a Prov1 in the parking lot before my round of golf yesterday.  Decided to play with it just in case it was a magical ball (Like Mike anybody?). Turns out, I was right.  Ball of destiny.  I never hit the ball OB once during my round (only done this 1 other time) and shot a 40 - the best 9 hole round of my life.  I'm playing in my first tournament on Saturday and I plan to use the magical ball.  I will post results later :-P

But anyways, this got me thinking.  Do any of you guys have specific superstitions on the golf course?

Found a Prov1 in the parking lot before my round of golf yesterday.  Decided to play with it just in case it was a magical ball (Like Mike anybody?). Turns out, I was right.  Ball of destiny.  I never hit the ball OB once during my round (only done this 1 other time) and shot a 40 - the best 9 hole round of my life.  I'm playing in my first tournament on Saturday and I plan to use the magical ball.  I will post results later

But anyways, this got me thinking.  Do any of you guys have specific superstitions on the golf course?

As for things like playing a lost ball, I don't tend to. I don't find many expensive Bridgestone(s) on the course. I don't really switch up golf ball brands during the year. Though I have said before to other players that I notice find a ball then only to hit it into the woods no the next hole, "I guess that ball just doesn't want to be found".

Even if my game is going good or bad, I'll still switch out the ball if damaged, or keep playing it it not.

The only thing I can say I am superstitious about, and @Jeremie Boop of this. Saying nice putt before the ball ends up in the hole, then ending up having a missed putt. I mean, how can you say nice putt before the outcome, that is just crazy talk.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not really superstitious but I like consistency. I use the same ball marker, same stamp on the balls, same tees etc. If I forget something I feel kind of weird.

Dave :-)

The only thing I can say I am superstitious about, and @Jeremie Boop has been guilty of this. Saying nice putt before the ball ends up in the hole, then ending up having a missed putt. I mean, how can you say nice putt before the outcome, that is just crazy talk.

I agree.  My pet peeve tends to be more when people say nice shot while the ball is still in the air.  Of course the ball usually hears them say this and decides to dip down right into the green side bunker.

Balls have feelings too.  You have to be honest and respectful to your ball.  Happy Gilmore can attest to that.  That ball didn't go in his home because he didn't ask nicely. :-P

All jokes aside, you can hit a good putt/shot without the results being good.  That is golf!

As for things like playing a lost ball, I don't tend to. I don't find many expensive Bridgestone(s) on the course. I don't really switch up golf ball brands during the year. Though I have said before to other players that I notice find a ball then only to hit it into the woods no the next hole, "I guess that ball just doesn't want to be found".

Even if my game is going good or bad, I'll still switch out the ball if damaged, or keep playing it it not.

The only thing I can say I am superstitious about, and @Jeremie Boop has been guilty of this. Saying nice putt before the ball ends up in the hole, then ending up having a missed putt. I mean, how can you say nice putt before the outcome, that is just crazy talk.

The thing is, when you golf with the people I have for as long as I have, any putt that ends up near the hole and any shot that gets in the air and goes reasonably straight/on target is "good". I'm still trying to adjust my standards of "good" to who I'm currently on the course with though.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I won't use a white tee. If provided by the course in a cart, I'll throw them out before the round, and I clean any off every tee box before I hit. I have no idea why......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I adjust things to the left side before each swing because I feel like I can get a little more weight forward.

• Upvote 1

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I won't nice anyone. No nice shot until the ball has completely stopped. If some one does this to me I will nicely ask them to refrain until my my ball has come to a complete stop. I also have to adjust my right sleeve before every shot. When its working my right sleeve will all the way to my armpit. :)

I only drive about 180, but I make up for by not hitting my wedges well.

I won't use a white tee. If provided by the course in a cart, I'll throw them out before the round, and I clean any off every tee box before I hit.

I have no idea why......

Cuz you're a weirdo???

I actually prefer white tees, and that stems from the time when I was a lot younger and really wanted to be cool like the pros.  Once I realized they all put their putters in the slot for the woods, and they have big, loose towels instead of the small ones that clip onto the bag, and that they all seemingly used white tees, I started doing all of that.

Now that I have 5000 tees at home that say "Happy 40th Drew" on them, though, I'm happy to use any color. :-P

I hate it when people say something that assumes a putt is made before it reaches the hole or for a teammate to say "He never misses these" as I'm getting ready to putt.

I'm thinking shut up!!!

Cuz you're a weirdo???

Well Hell, that wasn't all THAT difficult to figure out after all! :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I don't think I have any superstitions. I put the same stuff in the same pockets, but that's just for practicality. It's tough to reach into my left pocket with my glove on, so I put my stuff in my right pockets. I'll use any color tees. I have a certain ball marker that I use, but only because it's the best one. I'll use any golf ball. I don't even really have a single pre-shot routine that I go through. I do waggle quite a bit. I'd bet there's a pretty strong correlation between the amount of times I waggle and how nervous I am over a shot. I never get into time-consuming territory (or at least I don't think I do), but if there's water to clear (or if I notice Amanda Dufner nearby), I usually find myself waggling a few more times.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Very thrown off if I don't have one tree, one ball marker (Spider-man) and my ball mark repairer in my right front pockets. No ball in my pockets except a spare in my back pocket. Mainly because it can make too much noise with too much stuff in my pocket. but it bugs me if I pick up something else.

—Adam

I don't have any at all for golf or any sport for that matter.  A friend of mine won't use logo balls. The only thing I can think of is I am a picture straightener.  I can't stand crooked pictures and have to straighten them.  That is more OCD than superstition though.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I've never been a superstitious person for any sport I've played, but i have noticed that i do seem to do a few things regularly when taking my shots.

One thing mentioned above is that if i have a long sleeve top/jumper on i have to roll up the sleeves and i find myself adjusting them as I'm addressing the ball. I also tend to pull my glove on the palm side to adjust it, not every shot but more often than not. I'll play any ball as long as its in pretty good condition and a reasonable make, but I'm not fussed about a tee's colour (English spelling :whistle: ), I just make sure its at what i think is my comfortable height for the club I'm playing.

Rob - London, England

:nike: VRS Covert Tour 2.0 Driver

:nike: VRS Covert Tour 2.0 3 Hybrid

:nike: VRS Forged Irons

:titleist: Pro V1

Note: This thread is 3508 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!