IGNORED

How fast do you play?

kpaulhus
Note: This thread is 3304 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The course I mostly play here is 6350 yards and I can get done in 3.5 hours walking fairly easily if nobody is in front of me.  The thing that I noticed saves time isn't necessarily hitting it far, it's hitting fewer shots overall.

Very true.

Of course distance plays a rather large part in the "hitting fewer shots" bit.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've played 2.5hr rounds walking by myself before....But around 3hrs is a much better pace for myself.  I enjoy my time on the course and I'm in no huge hurry most of the time.  Average time playing is usually closer to 4-4.5hrs though as I am usually playing muni's on weekends and its busy.

With cart by myself usually under 2 hrs. Walking around 3:15 I usually don't even take a practice swing.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I have had a 2.5 hr round with another person ... no one in front of us and honestly we did not rush at all ... I am a fast player

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I've played 18 walking with a pull cart in 2:15. It was on an empty course and I purposely went as fast as I could.  I did have about 5-10 minutes delay due to the greens being mowed on two holes.  It was a relatively flat course in RI.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Can't argue with that!  1½ hours for 18 is awesome by the way..............you must hit it miles!?

Nah, If there's no one on the course I'd play 18 around 1.5 as well. And I'm a short hitter. I just don't waste time.

I'm always hitting driver around 210 into the fairway. If I'm over 175 yards away on my 2nd, I use 5w every time as I have not dialed in 3w. Makes club selection easy. My routine is simple, aim for the middle of the green, pick a spot in front of the ball to set up the face of my club...fire.

I haven't taken an aimpoint yet so I take very little time reading greens. Add all that up and a short hitting hacker like me can get around VERY quickly.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Over the winter I got to play empty course golf with a cart for the first time.  I had super limited time to play, so I was going as fast as possible.  Jogging from the cart to my ball when I had to stay on the path, pre-shot jog to ball, one practice swing, hit, putting jogging to green, fix divot, hustle to ball, get read on the way, hit, often just pick instead of tapping in, sometimes just picking up entirely and scoring myself as a 2-putt (I wasn't submitting for handicap, so just scoring to give myself a general idea of how I was hitting), etc.  With all that I still only got through 9 holes at the fastest in ~50 minutes.

I love playing so this was still well worth it for me to get 9 holes in.  But I now don't understand at all people who claim that they play in 2 hours or less by themselves on an empty course, by choice.  Without obligations that strictly limit the time I have to play, I can't imagine choosing to play by myself in less than at least 2:30.  With no pressure to finish as quickly as possible, I bet I'd play more in like 2:45 or so.  I think part of the fun is the methodical pace, steady concentration, meditative aspects.  I lost those running around trying to play at a < 2 hour pace.

• Upvote 3

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I think it depends on what your definition of a fast vs. slow golfer is.I play 9 Holes much of the time and I take on average 7-10 minutes on a hole depending on how long and difficult it is and I walk it which accounts for about 25-30% of the time spent on a play-through, by many accounts I'm a mid speed player, but playing too fast sets you up for a bad round, so I don't do that.

I spend about 2-3 minutes in the tee box including time setting up and the shot itself, after that it is hard to know just how long it will take!

-Josh 

"Why set yourself up for Failure, when you can set yourself up to succeed" -GolfMaineiac26

Until I retired I coached high school golf. I had a saying that I emphasized at every practice and match, "Take your time when hitting your shot, but walk quickly to your ball." As I get on in years, I feel that this is something that encourages fitness, but still allows me to concentrate on my shots.

I always walk when playing alone. My normal pace of play will be anywhere from 2 hours 30 minutes to 2:45. My personal best is 2:20.

Last week I teed off ahead of a twosome in a golf cart. I finished three holes ahead of them and played in 2:30.

When playing in a twosome, I try to finish in 3 hours. (It usually depends on who my partner is, as well.) With a cart, under 3 hours.

When playing in a threesome, 3:30. When playing in a foursome, under 4:00. (When I play in a 3-some or 4-some, there is little difference with or w/out a cart.)

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

With a cart, by myself, on an empty course I can play an easy 18 in 2 hours.  Depending on the course layout, I can play a walking 18 almost as fast.  Basically, when I play, I know what club I'm going to hit when I reach the ball, I almost never change my mind about what club, I either take no practice swing or just a single half-swing motion while not addressing the ball.

I just don't benefit from anything more than that.  I play my best when I pretty much "walk up and hit it".  I shoot low 90's, usually.  I don't have that many options - I could stand there and visualize a high draw or a low fade and it's not going to effect what actually happens to the ball that much.  I am not that consistent with my iron distances so, a lot of times, it actually doesn't matter if I have the 4 vs the 5 . .or even the 7 vs the 8.  What I am good at is psyching myself out . .so I play best when I don't think about it for much longer than it takes me to just walk up and hit it.

3 hrs. walking.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I absolutely hate slow play, that being said. I have to wonder after reading all these post. If some people are even enjoying the game the game of golf. Are you improving your game or improving how long it takes you to play 18?

I absolutely hate slow play, that being said. I have to wonder after reading all these post. If some people are even enjoying the game the game of golf. Are you improving your game or improving how long it takes you to play 18?

Kinda hard to enjoy it when people like you can't wait more then 2 minutes before it's your turn at the tee, that being said do you enjoy the game of golf?

-Josh 

"Why set yourself up for Failure, when you can set yourself up to succeed" -GolfMaineiac26

Kinda hard to enjoy it when people like you can't wait more then 2 minutes before it's your turn at the tee, that being said do you enjoy the game of golf?

What the hail are you talking about, where did I say I can't wait 2 min? Learn how to read and not try and put words in people's mouth. Yes I enjoy the game and., I enjoy not trying to see how fast I can play 18 holes.

I think over the years and time, we have gotten too hung up on pace of play now.  People tend to rush, try to push you along, make you feel bad if you take time to look at a putt from multiple angles.  I'm perfectly happy with a 3.5 to 4 hour round for a foursome.  Anything faster is good as long as I don't feel rushed, anything longer and well either a really bad day or a slow course.  Also remember rushing and hitting a bad shot and having to hit another one takes longer than taking your time and focusing and making a good swing/shot. If its hot summer day here in Vegas and nobody is on the course, I can get around 18 holes in under 2 hours by myself but I'll usually end up playing a couple balls and making it more of a practice round then if I have the course to myself.

I think over the years and time, we have gotten too hung up on pace of play now.  People tend to rush, try to push you along, make you feel bad if you take time to look at a putt from multiple angles.  I'm perfectly happy with a 3.5 to 4 hour round for a foursome.  Anything faster is good as long as I don't feel rushed, anything longer and well either a really bad day or a slow course.  Also remember rushing and hitting a bad shot and having to hit another one takes longer than taking your time and focusing and making a good swing/shot. If its hot summer day here in Vegas and nobody is on the course, I can get around 18 holes in under 2 hours by myself but I'll usually end up playing a couple balls and making it more of a practice round then if I have the course to myself.

I think this thread really brought out the fact that the average TST golfer can play 18 holes in 2-2.5 hours with a cart. Typically, for me, its an after work round trying to get done before the sun sets. However, on the weekends or when the course is busy I take my time, read putts, take practice swings. Most of the time you cant go anywhere til the group in front of you moves, so might as well enjoy it.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

The way I answered was how fast can you play not how fast do you play. My 2-hour round was under very special circumstances. Namely squeezing in an early morning round before football. Most of the time, I cool my heals behind the throng in front of me. Four hours is hoped for and not expected.

Our Saturday morning foursomes tend to average 3:15 rounds.

On Fridays, i try to get behind a foursome so I can enjoy a few beers and cigars - if there is no one behind me, I will not tee off until the group in front of me has left the green and will putt until 12-15 minutes have passed their leaving - I am there to escape reality, not to run a race.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Note: This thread is 3304 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!