IGNORED

Collared shirt? Where did this start?

Dave325
Note: This thread is 2945 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Is dressing nicely to go to church also to "keep the riff raff out?"

How about when attending a funeral or wedding? Also about keeping out the riff raff?

At the church that my wife plays piano and organ for, about half the men on any given Sunday are wearing jeans.  I can assure you that nobody would be turned away for their apparel - I can't imagine that God cares what you wear.  

The same is true for those other events.  When my cousin got married about 12 years ago, the groom and his men all wore white shirts and black jeans.  I wore slacks and a short sleeve shirt, but I was slightly overdressed.

Wearing more casual clothes for golf just makes sense.  The plus 4's and jacket worn by the Scots in the 19th century were not chosen specifically for golf.  Those were what they wore for hunting and other outdoor activities, so it was just logical to carry it over to golf.  There was nothing posted or written down or mandated.  They happened to be mostly well-to-do men, so their choice of field wear was more upscale than that of an ordinary working man, but nothing about it was golf specific.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
9 hours ago, onkey said:

Why impose a dress code upon your customer? 

My point is that some of the customers might want that dress code. Having the dress code might be good for their business. They might have fewer golfers wanting to play there if when they show up the last time people are dressing in tank tops and cutoff jeans.

It may not be "imposed" on the customers. They might actually want it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

There is a public course near me that requires a collared shirt.   If you don't have one, one is available to purchase or you don't play.   I always wear a collared shirt but have been known to wear anything from dress slacks to cargo shorts depending upon the course I play.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I think the collar thing came from golf being a "gentlemens game". The old prim and proper scenario. 

Myself, I will practice wearing just about anything. However, when I play, I always have a collar. As for pants, it's usually Cargo Shorts. I like the pockets.

I wore some blue jeans to the Silverstone course in Vegas once. The counter guy took my money after I asked about my jeans. When I got to the starter, he said blue jeans were not allowed. This even though he was wearing blue jeans himself. Took some doing, but I got my $45 back, and have never been back. That was in 2004.

Of course in today's economical enviroment, it not too much of a stretch to think most medium, and lower end courses will take your money regardless of what is being worn. They need the revenue. I do believe that quite a few courses do not hold women players to the same dress code as men. 

I know my home course, which is kept in great shape year around, and is as good as any other course in the area,  will allow non collared golfers to play. Shorts, and a tee shirt are acceptable. I suspect the main reason is that it is a smallish town, and everybody pretty much knows each other. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

2 hours ago, iacas said:

My point is that some of the customers might want that dress code. Having the dress code might be good for their business. They might have fewer golfers wanting to play there if when they show up the last time people are dressing in tank tops and cutoff jeans.

I've belonged to three different county clubs and the membership was always in favor of dress codes.  I don't consider Bermuda shorts and a collared golf shirt to be oppressive or uncomfortable.

In my experience dress codes are a safe form of diplomacy to ensure no one dresses in an offensive manner.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

• 4 weeks later...

I like wearing a collared shirt to play and even to the driving range.  I also tuck my shirt in and avoid wearing jeans even if the courses I play do not have that dress code.

Driver: Nike SasQuatch 460 Tour Graphite
Irons: Titleist CB 712 Dynamic Gold
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX Black Pearl Steel Wedge 50° and 54°, Cleveland 588 RTG 60°
Putter: Nike Method Matter M4-12

You never can tell what offends the sensibilities of some people.  A tee shirt advertising a brand of beer may be fine but if the course is supplied by a competitor brewer then without knowing it you may be offending. Silly but true.  Golf during Bobby Jones' s era. began to relax.  The coats were off in America because of the heat. Ties were a natural extension of a man's wardrobe. You wore it to work to church to bowl, to go the movies, and to baseball and hockey games. along with your hat. The relaxing of rules regarding dress have really changed and it will keep evolving. Tiger's use of the collared t-shirt, initiated another change and made people have to alter their perception of what constitutes a collared shirt.  In my life I no longer go to too many places where the jacket and tie is a must. It just doesn't seem important enough any longer.  The last time I saw everyone wear a jacket and tie was my Mum's funeral. And that was only for the service portion, The visitation was quite casual.  As it should be.

In golf for me, comfort is paramount. Jeans are not comfortable for me.  Because I brace and bandage my legs, I wear pants all the time playing golf. I don't need to constantly explain and it is like taking off the old florsheim bluchers with spikes, it feels really good at the end of a round to cool off.  Modern moisture wicking  shirts are so light it really compensates and then you can go anywhere knowing you are always within anyone's, but the most snootiest , dress code.

• Upvote 1

On 12/31/2015 at 0:51 PM, Dave325 said:

My home course is a fairly rural course that has very few dress code restrictions. However, there are a number of other shwanky courses near me that have the ubiquitous collared shirt/no jeans restrictions. I can respect that... But just curious where these type of restrictions came into the game. It's not like having dressed in certain clothes makes me play any better, even though I try to sport my lucky Callaway pullover in cooler weather. If this started with the Scottish originators of the game, then shouldn't we be required to wear kilts? Just curious... And I love history too.

Firstly, the kilt actually originated in England, but the sweaty socks made it famous. 

I am a believer in some sort of dress code, but also believe it shouldn't go to far. I don't like jeans and T Shirts on a golf course, but some of the dress codes of old were going to far. My course allows jeans, but I really don't like it. 

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

On 2/6/2016 at 2:51 PM, iacas said:

Well said. I dont think a simple dress code of a collared polo and trousers/smart shorts is a bad thing and i agree that if my homwe course had a lot of people playing in ripped jeans a t shirts it would make me think twice about playing there.

Dress codes are important, a school uniform does not discriminate between children from a wealthy family or one on the breadline, in schools all puplis should be viewed as equals.

In work adress code shows a level of profesionallism. We have recently allowed jeans as part of the code (im not a fan other than on dress down days) and its being abused.

I think the golf dress code is a little like the school uniform (in my head anyway!). Player A may have a £70 ralph Lauren polo shirt and player B has a £5 costco polo but they both look smart regardless of how much cash they may have. Level;s the playing field (until the golf starts!)

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

• 1 month later...

I dress smartly for golf, because I feel good looking good, but I do not agree with imposing my taste or standards on others, and am convinced that golf clubs need to take a more flexible approach to this question if they want to attract younger generation golfers.

However, a couple of things which are sometimes listed in dress codes appear to me to be downright ridiculous: I once declined to play at a course in the UK because they allowed golfers to wear shorts, but insisted that the socks had to be "knee-length white sports socks". I also feel it is stupid to insist that a cap is worn with the brim to the front. First of all, it is none of my business how somebody wears their hat, and secondly, I know some golfers (and tennis players) who wear the cap the "wrong" way round to stop their neck getting burnt. The dislike of cargo shorts goes in the same direction: this has nothing to do with the comfort or functionality of the garment, but simply expresses disdain for a certain type or person or at least image. That is not what golf should be about!

The course where I play has a dress code which I abide by.  But I often swing by for a quick session at the practice green or driving range wearing my jeans.  (I generally wear jeans to work.)  Some of the older, fuddy duddy members will give me a sideways look once in a while.  But so far no one has said anything.  btw, I asked about the dress code for the practice green and driving range.  The head pro told me that jeans are fine.   Just no jeans out on the course is all.    

Edited by Volkey

Let's be honest, golf attire is fully dependent on the course you are playing that specific day. When given the amazing opportunity to experience a country club, we should be decked head to toe in the finest apparel. But on the reverse side of things, when playing a round at a lackluster public course on a steamy hot day in July, it would be nice to be able to sport a bro tank (tank top) if you will along with basketball shorts.

Subtle changes like that could not only help with comfort, but eases the invisible barriers to entry for new golfers. The decline of Tiger Woods has taken a hit on golf in the main stream public view. This whole "gentlemen's game" definition may be doing more harm than we think.

Walked into the pro shop yesterday to find three rows of nice embroidered course name and CO flag hoodies. Very sweet wearing it to the course later to play.

Dave :-)

A couple of public courses have a code of no denim of any kind. For women, the code is no tank tops. I don't know about country clubs because I don't make $2000 a week.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 2945 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!