IGNORED

4-5 ft putts killing me - need any advice on how you approach them

inthehole
Note: This thread is 3021 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I keep a detailed golf log & after reading it over for the last couple seasons, it's evident short putting is a glaring weakness. I typically read both sides of the putt, but it's uncanny how many birdies I give away by missing the 4-5 footers.   My lag putting has improved significantly and I'm fairly solid from 3 ft an in - it's the makeable 4 - 5 footers that I consistently miss that really hurt me.  

I really need help with this ... can you guys give me any advice on how you approach these short putts ?    Once you establish your line, I'd like to know how you aim, what exactly you're aiming at, how you approach the putt, swing thoughts ... anything would be a help.   FYI - I don't draw a line on my ball & take the time to line up the line on the ball - maybe I need to start doing this ??

Really appreciate any help you can offer ... thx.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, inthehole said:

I keep a detailed golf log & after reading it over for the last couple seasons, it's evident short putting is a glaring weakness. I typically read both sides of the putt, but it's uncanny how many 4-5 footers I manage to miss.

I really need help with this ... can you guys give me any advice on how you approach these short putts ?    Once you establish your line, I'd like to know how you aim, what exactly you're aiming at, how you approach the putt, swing thoughts ... anything would be a help.   FYI - I don't draw a line on my ball & take the time to line up the line on the ball - maybe I need to start doing this ??

1. First, I use AimPoint methods for the read with my feet. This gives me direction of the break.
  2. I note from the lower side whether the putt is up or downhill, which gives me the speed.
  3. Usually when others are putting, from behind the ball, I look at my line and visualize the path the ball will take. If it is a lot of break, the putt is actually going to travel a longer distance over the green, so I need more speed.
  4. I also see the spot on the cup where the ball will enter, say 7, 8 or even 9 o'clock. This is a Dave Stockton trick.
  5. When I'm ready to putt, I stare at my aimpoint and set up to the ball aiming my putter at the aimpoint.
  6. I don't take a practice swing because I've found it doesn't really help my speed control.
  7. I then bring my focus to the ball and settle down and relax.
  8. My grip is firm on my left hand and lighter on my right as I want my left hand to control the swing. I'm right handed.
  9. I pick a spot and inch or two in front of the ball and think of rolling the ball over that.
  10. I take my back swing and have the swing thought to let gravity do the work on the downswing.
  11. I putt and don't look up until the ball is well away.

A good book to read is Dave Stockton's Unconscious Putting or Stan Utley's, The Art of Putting.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Aim is more important than speed on short putts. 

Sounds like you are stuggling your start lines. It could be your putter being fit for your eye. It could be your stroke pushing or pulling puts offline. 

i always pick a spot Anywhere from 6 to 36 inches in front of the ball. You have to learn to hit the ball over that spot. I would say being able to roll over that spot with out guiding the ball. 

I would find a straight putt. Then set up a gate with some tees about 2 ft in front of the ball. Then practice your aim and hitting the ball between the gate. Try to hit each putt as you would on the course. Go through your pre shot routine. Don't stand over the ball thinking about how to hit it. React to the putt more instinctively.

• Upvote 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

51 minutes ago, inthehole said:

I keep a detailed golf log & after reading it over for the last couple seasons, it's evident short putting is a glaring weakness. I typically read both sides of the putt, but it's uncanny how many birdies I give away by missing the 4-5 footers.   My lag putting has improved significantly and I'm fairly solid from 3 ft an in - it's the makeable 4 - 5 footers that I consistently miss that really hurt me.  

I'm curious, what % of those 5 footers do you currently make?  On average, how many per round do you have of that length?  I bet that when we "do the math", they're not hurting you as much as it feels.

Just realizing that could take some of the tension and yippy feelings out of them too....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I had the same problem, even missing 3 footers, but I got instant improvement with one small thing.

I found that I was moving my head, and the only way to stop moving my head was to not even move my eyes.   Even if I just moved my eyes to follow the ball after I hit it, somehow my head moved.   So what I did was, of course keep my eyes on the ball before I hit it, but after the ball is struck, don't even move my eyes.  I keep them fixed on the ground where the ball had been. 

You might try that.   It may be head movement that is throwing you off.   Remember, don't even follow the ball with your eyes.  

I'm a bogey golfer, and you may be way ahead of me on this, but that's what fixed me.  

Edited by Marty2019
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator

Stimp 12, 2%, 90°, 5 feet: putt breaks about 6 inches.

Stimp 8, 2%, 90°, 5 feet: putt breaks about 3 inches.

Line matters more than speed. You probably don't aim your putter very well and/or have a big compensation in your stroke.

And that's from 8 to 12 stimp, which is a BIG difference… only 3 inches.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

24 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I'm curious, what % of those 5 footers do you currently make?  On average, how many per round do you have of that length?  I bet that when we "do the math", they're not hurting you as much as it feels.

Just realizing that could take some of the tension and hippy feelings out of them too....

Problem is my chipping and lag putting are decent, but I typically l can't get them to <3' & wind up leaving them 4-5 ft out, so I have a large amount of them every round.   I bet I make 25% of them ... seriously, it's that bad.   If I miss 4 or 5 of these a round, it will take me from a good round for me (83) to an 88 - this is a big problem. 

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Have someone check your alignment in a practice session. Use a "chalk line" on the green to give you a good visual of the center of the hole. When executing your stroke, practice having the putter continue towards the target as you follow through. The two essentials in putting are "aim & stroke" if either is slightly off putts most likely won't be made. When both are correct, more putts are holed.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

One of my practice routines is rolling the ball over a small coin, 1' in front of the ball. When I putt the ball over the coin, that means I am hitting a straight putt along my aim line, which also means my alignment and stroke are working well together. 

Another thing I have recently done has been my switch to a  "left hand low" grip. This has made a world of difference for the better in my making more putts. 

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Read what saevel, David, and Eric said and put it in practice. Rinse and repeat.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

1 hour ago, inthehole said:

FYI - I don't draw a line on my ball & take the time to line up the line on the ball - maybe I need to start doing this ??

I started doing this recently and it helped me a lot.  Not so much the line helping with my aim but just as a way of slowing down and not rushing through putts.  I found I was missing putts because I just wasn't taking enough care with them and having to get down, pick up the ball, clean it and replace it meant I was more focused on making the putt.

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

55 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Just realizing that could take some of the tension and yippy feelings out of them too....

I was kind of wondering the same thing? If it's like 1 per round, then putting would be what's keeping you out of the single digits for sure.

Missing 5 foot birdie putts is really rare for me. 10-80 feet is more common on or off the green. It's like a treat if I get within 10 feet.

I make barely more than half my 4-5 footers. They are never much more than 50 percent per round.

Relaxing helps and using a pendulum stroke keeps the putter more on line.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
51 minutes ago, inthehole said:

Problem is my chipping and lag putting are decent, but I typically l can't get them to <3' & wind up leaving them 4-5 ft out, so I have a large amount of them every round.   I bet I make 25% of them ... seriously, it's that bad.   If I miss 4 or 5 of these a round, it will take me from a good round for me (83) to an 88 - this is a big problem. 

If you're not hitting them inside four or five feet, you're not a good lag putter. 10% of the distance from which you started is a good lag: unless you have a LOT of 55-foot first putts, you should be inside 2-3 feet a lot of the time with your first putt.

Also, just to provide some context, scratch golfers make about 65% of their five-footers, and about 80% from four feet.

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

30 minutes ago, iacas said:

If you're not hitting them inside four or five feet, you're not a good lag putter. 10% of the distance from which you started is a good lag: unless you have a LOT of 55-foot first putts, you should be inside 2-3 feet a lot of the time with your first putt.

Also, just to provide some context, scratch golfers make about 65% of their five-footers, and about 80% from four feet.

That's kind of where I was going.  I'd also guess (tell me if I'm wrong) but most of those chips are ending up further away than 4-5 feet.  A bunch of chips to 4ish feet would be really good.  If they're really closer to 6 or 7 feet, which is still pretty damn good, that make % is going down even more.  I could be wrong, but I bet those putts don't cost an average of a stroke a round from what a scratch player might expect.  I know it can really feel like it though!

Regardless, put me in the "work on hitting your line" club for the easiest fix though.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Another thought, "Release the 'Grimlems" get them out of your thoughts. When was the last time you made a 5 footer?

Boost your confidence, think "Positive"  Imagine the ball rolling dead in, center cut, back of the cup, what ever thoughts you like.

Think Positive, Be Positive, Relax......:-)

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

This sounds like a similar thread of a couple of weeks ago...  same issue, similar advice.

As Yogi Berra would say "It's deja vu all over again..."

To OP, when I had putting woes, I went back to formula ... (see Spiderman). er, I started all over again, questioned everything I was doing, reviewed everything I was doing, found weaknesses. It's probably a combination of chipping and putting woes.

Edited by Mr. Desmond
  • Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

It is my belief that putting more than any other stroke it is important you believe you're going to make the putt.  If you approach your 5' putts with OMG another 5' it is assured you won't make it.  So while all the mechanics are important so is your attitude.   A good pre shot routine will help also.

Lastly, Arnold once said, if you want to improve your putting stats, practice your chipping and pitching.  At least I think it was Arnold.  

• Upvote 1

Butch

Note: This thread is 3021 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!