IGNORED

Best Achievable Handicap by Playing/Practicing Only Once/Week (For Improving Golfers)

bones75
Note: This thread is 1846 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Best handicap achievable playing/practicing once per week  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What's the best handicap achievable by playing/practicing only once a week? (please read post before answering)

• scratch / no-limit
    • 1-2
    • 3-4
    • 5-7
    • 8-10
    • 10-13

I think we've all seen that many great golfers play or practice multiple times per week. I was wondering what people think is typically the lowest handicap you can achieve by playing or practicing only once per week.

NOTES:
- Meant for "improving golfers" who are seeking a new personal best.  If you were a scratch player 5 years prior, this doesn't apply
- Playing or practicing one day per week on average, assume whichever would achieve the best results
- Representing ~90% of average golfers, i.e. "most of us" (discounting the best and worst golf learners out there)
- Assume no time limit (like it could take 10 years to peak or longer)

Also, if you want to share your experience, feel free.  For me, one year I started at a 13, and i hit 10 handicap about six months later, playing almost exactly once a week. For the next 6 months, I stayed at a ~10 w/ the same amount of play/practice. This consisted of a saturday or sunday round, w/ practice sessions before and/or after the round, as well as about 1.5 lessons/month.

Edited by bones75

I have no idea. I only play once a week, basically never go to the driving range, and I'm a better golfer today than I was about eight years ago when I was playing three times a week and going to the driving range two or three times a week. Yea I do practice a little by hitting into my net, but the real difference has been the quality of my time spent on golf and not the quantity. I'd be an even better golfer with today's habits and more time to play, but that's life.

I want to say I could be a single digit player by progressing like this, given enough time.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played about once a week last year and was down to a 4 or so at one point. Not the lowest I've ever been but not terrible. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I’ve been in the 4’s playing once a week.  I never practice.

I’m sure there are those out there with a lot more natural talent than me who have done much better...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I think age may also be a factor here. But, I'm not the best example. I was in my late teens, early 20's when I got good, but I lived at the range! I read instructional articles in Golf Digest, and got some instruction from an Uncle who was a country club pro prior to WWII. This was back in the 1970's when GD was still worth reading. If I was confined to once a week, I honestly don't know how good I could have gotten. But I spent the time because the golf bug bit me hard!

• iacas changed the title to Best Achievable Handicap by Playing/Practicing Only Once/Week (For Improving Golfers)

I started at age 40 and for the most part played or practiced once/week.  20 rounds in a season is good for me and I am a 16 handicap.  I selected 10-13 as an attainable handicap since there are people that are more naturally talented at golf than I am.  Some of my fully retired friends play 150+ rounds/year and a couple are high single digit handicaps.  Although, I may be age biased starting at a later age.  

I believe that to improve you likely need to hit balls 2-3 times per week in season.  Hitting balls includes playing and practicing.  Once you achieve and maintain a level, say 10, you can maintain close to that level, say 12, playing once a week.  But untested opinion, I try to play at least twice a week and still believe that I have 1-2 shots of improvement left in me.

I believe this depends on how much you put into the practice i.e. how efficient the practice session(s) is(are).

I play/practice like 2 times/week and seem to be dropping about 5-6 strokes/year (from 32-15). I would have done much better if I have more tailored, efficient training sessions. Experienced players and the pros I've met say I have the potential to be reach single HC (8-9) very soon if I fix certain flaws.

Edited by Parpy

They are many variables in your question which will differ for everyone who plays golf.

Experience, courses playing (difficult or easy) and consider yardage, age, players intent for improvement
Most golfers would like to play better, but with limited practice, many lose the putter,  short game touch for starters.
Swing may vary often for those less experienced, ability to encounter playing conditions and adapt.

Handicaps only reflect a players general ability. Some may have expectations to play better without practice,
while others achieve a certain level and maintain a decent game without practice.

My personal expectations are simple, have fun and enjoy the game.
My level of achievements are measured by playing the best I can, each and every time out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

@Buckeyebowman @Club Rat @gbogey @Parpy @NJpatbee I agree there are many factors, but was just trying to get a general sense of what your average person "peaks" at who play once a week.

From my (bad) memory, every <5 handicapper I've ever met played multiple times per week in order to get to that level. I just noticed that at my old home course, where I knew most of the members, all the players who typically shot ~80 or better played or practiced multiple times per week (including young guys and old). Also every weekend golfer (30-40 rounds per year, w/ some practice inbetween) I knew there was at best high singles. This was a muni tho, and I think membership golf demographics would be different at a different courses.

Again, this doesn't count the ex-scratch+ player who only needs 10 rounds a year to still shoot a 75.

I think that if you just play once a week your improvements will be really small. If you are a 30 handicaper you can archive 25.. or if you are a 10 handicaper you can archive 7..8, but that´s all. You will stop improving and get stucked in the same handicap. 

In my high 20´s i played for 2 years once a week. Started with 4 and danced around 1 and 3 handicap.
The same at my early 30s.
I lowered it to +1 after 1 year playing 3 times a week. (Driving range + 36 holes)
For the last 2 years I quit practice and i play once or twice a week and i´m dancing again around 1 and 3 handicap. 

21 minutes ago, bones75 said:

but was just trying to get a general sense of what your average person "peaks" at who play once a week.

But, your question is too general and range being too broad to give any specific answer.
Your Poll has a range which all could potentially reach or achieve or maintain at their level, IMO.
Most golfers peak at certain times and then falter for a while then peak again.
The cycle continues, granted some may improve continuously as years go by, but eventually cycle at a level.

Even pros rise or fall in durations over their careers.

So, your question "What's the best handicap achievable by playing/practicing only once a week?"
It's simply too broad of a spectrum of players at different levels.
Some can play well with once a week, while others may falter. 

How would you distinguish between those who try and those who are only playing for the entertainment of golf?

As years go by, yes some improve slowly while other have rapid improvement to a certain level.
Then the cycle up and down begins or maintains at a level for a period of time.
Also keep in mind the cycle is very different for everyone.

And also keep in mind, many players simply do not post scores, or may only post their better rounds.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

8 hours ago, Club Rat said:

But, your question is too general and range being too broad to give any specific answer.
Your Poll has a range which all could potentially reach or achieve or maintain at their level, IMO.
Most golfers peak at certain times and then falter for a while then peak again.
The cycle continues, granted some may improve continuously as years go by, but eventually cycle at a level.

Even pros rise or fall in durations over their careers.

So, your question "What's the best handicap achievable by playing/practicing only once a week?"
It's simply too broad of a spectrum of players at different levels.
Some can play well with once a week, while others may falter. 

How would you distinguish between those who try and those who are only playing for the entertainment of golf?

As years go by, yes some improve slowly while other have rapid improvement to a certain level.
Then the cycle up and down begins or maintains at a level for a period of time.
Also keep in mind the cycle is very different for everyone.

And also keep in mind, many players simply do not post scores, or may only post their better rounds.

To make matters even worse for myself, I knew all the above and chose to create this thread/poll anyways! 

I still find poll results interesting, even if just an exercise in semantics. And I give it a 50/50 shot that @iacas will banhammer me someday for silly posts anyways 😉

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, bones75 said:

I still find poll results interesting, even if just an exercise in semantics. And I give it a 50/50 shot that @iacas will banhammer me someday for silly posts anyways 😉

Huh?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Huh?

just having fun!  I do a lot of stream of thought posts, so some days I feel i will (should??) be flagged for spam. 😋

If someone has never been a low single.........probably 10. And the person that can reach that usually has an athletic background, usually baseball.

I remember getting to 10 was pretty quick. Every point drop after that took dedication.

While I am not a range rat, to go and stay low requires a good short game. And at least in my case, I have to put time in that. (50 yards and in)

There are 3 important things about a round of golf:

1- where you play 

2- how you play 

3- with whom you play..........the first two are overrated 

• Like 1

I voted on the high end and would have picked even higher if it was available. If we think about the average golfer, their handicap is in the 12-15 range if I recall. That’s the average golfer who keeps a handicap. This means they care enough about the game to track their ability so they can compete against others who track it. So we could assume, unless they are naturally gifted, they practice and play more often than once a week.

Using that as a reference, I would think an average person only playing or practicing once per week is not as committed and would fare worse.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I voted 10-13. I know from personal experience. I thought the "average" handicap was 16. You cant say the average handicap is 12-15. The difference between a 12 and 15 is a big jump not an average.

Note: This thread is 1846 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!