IGNORED

Edoardo Molinari Posts Slow Players List

iacas
Note: This thread is 1765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I'd bet that each player can picture himself being in a tough situation, one where he needs a little extra time, and doesn't want a policy that could ever penalize himself.

They could give themselves two extensions per round. Or whatever. It's not like that doesn't have a solution.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I love watching tournament golf -- I don't care if it takes them 5 1/2 hours to play a round.  You're a tour professional, deal with it.

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

• Administrator
6 hours ago, BallStriker said:

I love watching tournament golf -- I don't care if it takes them 5 1/2 hours to play a round.  You're a tour professional, deal with it.

You’re in a tiny minority.

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

17 hours ago, Vinsk said:

“Listen, golf courses are long, golf courses are hard, we’re playing for a lot of money, it’s a big business, it is what it is,” McDowell said. “There’s just no way to speed the game up really. You can try these small percentiles, but at the end of the day it’s very hard to get around a 7,600-yard golf course with tucked pins with a three-ball in less than 4:45, 5 hours. You can’t do it.”

- GMAC.

Unfortunately I think many players agree with this. I don’t.

I’m sure NBA and NFL players thought that before shot clocks were introduced. In the NFL, they are bringing in far more complicated calls in shorter time that even 20 years ago. I know they are different sports, but it shouldn’t take more than 40 seconds to pick a club and execute the shot. They will adapt. 

And I will reiterate, an Olympic 400 meter runner can cover 400 yards in a little over that time. They can literally cover that distance in the time it takes BD to do his “physics” calculations.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

McDowell, as usual, is probably right about the overall numbers, but this is more about the viewing experience, about the frustration fans feel watching a professional take three minutes to make a two-second swing with his group a hole behind. That’s what this is all about.

“Until sponsors and TV tell the commissioner you guys play too slow and we’re not putting money up, it’s a waste of time talking about, because it’s not going to change,” Scott said.

He’s right, too. The answer may ultimately lie beyond what a player police force can do, but at least Molinari’s willing to lead a revolt that could lead there.

A small minority…

You don't have other things to do with your time?  

GCLogo.png

Brooks Koepka has been pretty upfront about his disdain for slow play, calling it 'kind of embarrassing' just last week. But now he's taken it a step further.

I think it's weird how we have rules where we have to make sure it's dropping from knee height or the caddie can't be behind you and then they also have a rule where you have to hit it in 40 seconds, but that one's not enforced. You enforce some but you don't enforce the others.

[Slow players are] breaking the rules but no one ever has the balls to actually penalize them

And

GCLogo.png

Three-time major champ Brooks Koepka took issue with the plight of slow play in professional golf, calling it "kind of embarrassing."

"I just don't understand how it takes a minute and 20 seconds, a minute and 15 seconds to hit a golf ball. It's not that hard," Koepka said. "It's always between two clubs. There's a miss short, there's a miss long. It really drives me nuts, especially when it's a long hitter because you know you've got two other guys, or at least one guy that's hitting before you, so you can do all your calculations. You should have your numbers."

That last part really kills me.  If you're waiting for someone else to take a shot, why aren't you figuring everything out then?  These are the same a-holes that go to fast-food restaurants and don't look at the menu until they're at the front of the line. "Oh, it's my turn?  now let me think... what I am in the mood for...?"

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

51 minutes ago, krupa said:

That last part really kills me.  If you're waiting for someone else to take a shot, why aren't you figuring everything out then?  These are the same a-holes that go to fast-food restaurants and don't look at the menu until they're at the front of the line. "Oh, it's my turn?  now let me think... what I am in the mood for...?"

Right. And this is exactly what JB Holmes does. It’s been on camera many times. He just stands there watching the other player do his routine and make the shot. It’s only then that he starts his routine. He does this in the fairway and on the greens. This is what GMAC is missing. That bs has no justification.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

48 minutes ago, krupa said:

+1

Before people paid for groceries with a credit card and used their check books, it always irritated me to see the person wait until they got a total to pull out their check book. They would then start to write a check, asking for the date, price and who to write the check out to.     

Maybe it's the curmudgeon in me but I don't have a tolerance for people that waste time.   Time if limited and finite in our lifetime.   I realize it's a little off topic, sorry

I'm in agreement that the players should be penalized via strokes for taking too long to play.   If they enforced the rule, a couple times early in the season and the players saw they were serious, it would speed up play.   Currently, the penalty isn't severe enough 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

On 4/29/2019 at 1:38 PM, Vinsk said:

“Listen, golf courses are long, golf courses are hard, we’re playing for a lot of money, it’s a big business, it is what it is,” McDowell said. “There’s just no way to speed the game up really. You can try these small percentiles, but at the end of the day it’s very hard to get around a 7,600-yard golf course with tucked pins with a three-ball in less than 4:45, 5 hours. You can’t do it.”

- GMAC.

Unfortunately I think many players agree with this. I don’t.

Why don't you agree with it?

2 minutes ago, Zekez said:

Why don't you agree with it?  Do most professional golfers disagree with McDowell?  i have no idea, just asking.

Edited by Zekez

29 minutes ago, Zekez said:

Because many 3 balls have and continue to play 7000+yd golf courses on tour under 5 hrs. And the multitude of delays have nothing to do with the difficulty of the golf course nor the importance of the shot. Not getting their numbers, making a read, selecting a club, while the other person does their routine is asinine. Marking a 2’ putt twice, reading it from all angles then referring to their green book is silly. It’s especially silly when that process doesn’t begin until it’s their time to putt. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Zekez said:

This part: "There’s just no way to speed the game up really."

Yes, there is. Be ready to actually HIT when it's your turn. Don't just start getting your numbers then. Be ready to putt when it's your turn to putt. Stuff like that.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Because many 3 balls have and continue to play 7000+yd golf courses on tour under 5 hrs. And the multitude of delays have nothing to do with the difficulty of the golf course nor the importance of the shot. Not getting their numbers, making a read, selecting a club, while the other person does their routine is asinine. Marking a 2’ putt twice, reading it from all angles then referring to their green book is silly. It’s especially silly when that process doesn’t begin until it’s their time to putt. 

GMAC is peddling a bunch of hooey! They still only take 70-72 shots. I don’t care how long the course is. It’s the number of shots and the time in between. Plus, they are usually in pairs for the final two rounds. That is way too long. It’s not like the extra 800 yards they walk take an hour and a half.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

<RANT MODE ON>

Let's not forget that speeding up the professional game will likely speed up the amateur game. If TV stopped showing Tiger Woods throw blades of grass in the air 5 times over the course of two minutes, maybe 30 handicaps will stop slowing every one down worrying about how the wind will affect their worm-burners.

<RANT MODE OFF>

Edited by chspeed
  • Like 2

I like Koepka’s solution, I like Edoardo’s calling the slow guy’s out. I get a rash when I see J.B Holmes playing. I want him to get the shanks!

• Upvote 1

On 4/29/2019 at 1:55 PM, ncates00 said:

Use a shot clock.  Put it on a scoreboard or have a guy carry it around like they do with the relative to par score sign.  It's an easy solution.  Start the shot clock when they arrive at their ball and it is their turn, just like you would with lost ball searches.  The only question is how much time do we allocate, in my view.

First offense: verbally warned by official.

Second offense: 1 shot penalty.

Third offense: 2 shot penalty.

Fourth offense: DQ for the tournament.

The only injustice I can think of is the fact that if the shot clock starts on your turn, the first to play is at a disadvantage, because the clock starts immediately on their arrival, whereas the other players effectively get extra time while the other is playing.  Perhaps then, the first player gets a little extra time.  I'm not sure how to remedy this.  

What do you guys think?

This is pretty much the pace of play policy used by my regional golf association.  It used to be when you were on the clock the first player was given an additional 10 seconds to hit his shot (50 instead of 40 seconds).  They have now gone to an aggregate time to hit all your shots on a hole as long as no shot takes more then 40 seconds.  It's a little less forgiving now but the pace of play time is generally is about 4:40 for a three ball and you have to be behind your time and out of position to be put on the clock.

• Like 1

Rob Tyska

• 4 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 1765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!