bkuehn1952

Hitting Power Lines

33 posts / 2188 viewsLast Reply

At the old Desert Rose course in Vegas, on the 2nd (11th?) there are power lines that get in the way of tee shots. I have hit them a few times. The balls falls into a drainage ditch and can't safely be found, and/or recovered.

The course has a drop area on the other side of the power lines you use without a penalty stroke. The drop area gives the golfer anout a 150 + yard approach shot. 

In reality, it's a good thing to actually hit those power lines off the tee. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have played two power line courses:  Royal Palm, near Mesa, Arizona...and Steel Canyon near to my current home.  I've bounced a couple off the wires in both places.  Royal Palm allows a replay with no penalty.  Far as I know it's hard cheese at Steel Canyon.  Never thought to ask though.

On 7/5/2019 at 12:11 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

I, too, have a friend who is a hooker.  But she doesn't play golf.

And I noticed that the poster had "4 way" in his handle! HMMMMM. Makes you wonder. 

There's a local course that has high voltage power lines running through it. On one hole they cross in from of the tee, but I've only hit a line once. On another hole, the towers run down the left side of the fairway, well within bounds. Local rules provide for a replay for hitting a line or a drop away from a tower with no penalty. 

Cassel Hills In Vandalia, OH has high powered lines crossing the fairway on #2. It was years ago, but I managed to get one up in them. We heard a pop and nobody saw what happened to the ball, but by local rule, you replay without penalty. 

Just now, CarlSpackler said:

Cassel Hills In Vandalia, OH has high powered lines crossing the fairway on #2. It was years ago, but I managed to get one up in them. We heard a pop and nobody saw what happened to the ball, but by local rule, you replay without penalty. 

The line probably fried the ball.  Had you found what was left of it, played it and went in a trap you'd have the perfect "fried egg" lie.

At Santa Teresa in San Jose, CA, hole #6 has 3 power lines right across the fairway, just a few yards beyond the tee boxes area. Regardless of the position of the tee markers (or even of the selection of tees), I routinely hit that power line: there are 6 wires to choose from and the angle up to those lines fit my drive trajectory pretty well. So, it’s darn near a 50/50 proposition. I have had to hit more than 2 balls off the tee in many occasions.

At the same course on #9, the same power lines have a tower on the right side of the fairway and then follow the right side of the fairway. A slice has a decent chance of hitting one of those towers and even though they are definitely made of more than 90% air (probably closer to 99% air), one can hear a loud clang of a ball hitting a tower a lot more often than you would think. It leaves a pretty good mark on the ball too, I am told... 😜

Playing a course in Akron a few years ago, and the last hole is an elevated par 3 over water. Buddy of mine hit a perfect 9 iron right at the pin that hit the power line and dropped straight down into the water 😂😂

I played a course that I hadn't played in about 5 years on Monday.  I found a great deal and figured it was worth the ride to check it out again.  On the 3rd hole, there are some power lines that cut across the fairway.  Having spent 3 years at a club with power lines on the driving range, I know that it's not as rare to hit those wires as you may initially think... but then I figured I was hitting my driver and they appeared to be about 180 yards or so from the tee box, so... I wasn't expecting to hit them.

Well... I did.  My drive was perfect.  It was splitting the fairway and had a nice draw fitting the dogleg of the hole... and then I heard that sound and watched as the ball dropped from the sky.  Frustratingly, it mentions right on the card that if you hit the lines... you must replay the shot.  So I did.  And I pulled it into the left rough.

I had a similar instance happen in Jamaica at Cinnamon Hill in 2004 with similar results.  

Anybody else hit power lines or anything 'abnormal' that required you to replay the shot?  Was it a blessing or did it hurt?

CY

Power Line cut across three holes at my home course. I hit them all the time... With the best shots of my round. The power lines have saved me a few times, however. One of the holes has water on the right, a few shots destined for the drink have hit the power lines and saved me from the one-stroke penalty.

I think the thing I dislike the most is the damage power lines do to urethane covers. Each ball that hits a power line goes straight into the practice bag. 

We don't have them on my home course, but a track in Hampton, New Hampshire has them and I used to hit them all the time when I lived near there.  Finally I learned to try to hit them.  Missed them every time.

Not quite the same as on the course, but, I live on an acreage out in the country and use the power lines that go from the barn to the power pole to practice my high lob shots.  Aim for a hoola hoop on the ground hitting just over the power lines.

20 hours ago, Sean_D said:

I think the thing I dislike the most is the damage power lines do to urethane covers. Each ball that hits a power line goes straight into the practice bag. 

I was surprised at the damage it caused to the ball, to be honest.  It was a new TP5x to start the round and when I picked it up after it had hit the lines, there were some noticeable marks left on the cover.  I managed to play the rest of the round with it but... it was surprising.

CY

4 minutes ago, Fairway_CY said:

I was surprised at the damage it caused to the ball, to be honest.  It was a new TP5x to start the round and when I picked it up after it had hit the lines, there were some noticeable marks left on the cover.  I managed to play the rest of the round with it but... it was surprising.

CY

Doesn't hitting a power line electrify the ball causing it to go greater distances?

35 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Doesn't hitting a power line electrify the ball causing it to go greater distances?

Only if it's DC.... Distance Current...……….