IGNORED

Hitting Power Lines

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 1569 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have played at Leslie Park for close to 35 years.  There are some power lines the run down the side of the #2 and #3 holes.  There is a Local Rule that striking the power lines requires a re-play, no penalty.  Frankly, the power lines are nowhere near in play for even a marginally decent shot.  They are along the left side and you are flirting with a lost ball if you end up under the lines. I have never seen or experienced a "hit power line".  At any rate, I hooked a shot that was in play but in the rough to the left of #3.  I hit a decent shot and darned if it did not strike the power lines.  First time in 35+ years I have done it or even witnessed it.  The shot actually turned out okay but I had to drop and re-hit.  Sigh.  The 2nd effort did not end up nearly as nice.  :-(

Anyone else have a power line story?

Edited by bkuehn1952
Typos

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I took a friend to the range a few times ten years ago.  We then played a par-3 course.  Two duffs on the first hole, his third shot was flush, hit a power line, but ended up on the green.  We didn't tell him the "you should replay that" rule in the interest of time.

• Like 2

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

40 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I have played at Leslie Park for close to 35 years.  There are some power lines the run down the side of the #2 and #3 holes.  There is a Local Rule that striking the power lines requires a re-play, no penalty.  Frankly, the power lines are nowhere near in play for even a marginally decent shot.  They are along the left side and you are flirting with a lost ball if you end up under the lines. I have never seen or experienced a "hit power line".  At any rate, I hooked a shot that was in play but in the rough to the left of #3.  I hit a decent shot and darned if it did not strike the power lines.  First time in 35+ years I have done it or even witnessed it.  The shot actually turned out okay but I had to drop and re-hit.  Sigh.  The 2nd effort did not end up nearly as nice.  :-(

There’s a course I used to play in Texas that had a power line running directly across the fairway and in a pretty good spot to be hit. It was in front of the men’s tee box about where a good launch would be. It was hit pretty often, twice by me.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

When we played Leslie Park earlier in the year, one of the guys in our foursome hit the power lines on #3.    

There was a course in Flint that has been closed for many years which had power lines running perpendicular to the fairway.   They were hit often.    

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Our course has 2 lines across 2 fairways. One is a par 5 and the lines come into play on your second shot, so almost impossible to hit because usually hitting a 3 wood and by the time the ball gets that high its passed the line. The other is the next hole, adjacent fairway but the lines come into play hitting on the approach shot onto the green. Couple years ago I hit that line with what felt like a perfectly flushed PW. Its like a HOI to hit those lines. Luckily on the back of the score card it said you MUST replay the shot no penalty. I thought it was strange that you have to play the shot again even if you didn't want to.

My home town muni has them going across two fairways. Only on one of them are they really in play.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

There's a goat track in the Outer Banks area called Holly Ridge that has high voltage wires going right through the middle of the property. Something like half the holes on the course have wires in play, but at least two fairways have wires all the way across them.

My big-hitting buddy, who had sliced a few to that point, hits a bullet down the middle only to see it hit the line and drop 100 yards short of where it should have gone. Colorful metaphors ensued.

Between the wires, copious ant hills and greens with no grass, he declared that was the last time he'd be playing there.

15 hours ago, Vinsk said:

There’s a course I used to play in Texas that had a power line running directly across the fairway and in a pretty good spot to be hit. It was in front of the men’s tee box about where a good launch would be. It was hit pretty often, twice by me.

I used to play a course near Dallas with three other guys from work that had power lines across one of the fairways.  Don't remember the name of it though. We always played Lone Wolf and hitting the power lines, which happened more frequently than you'd ever think, resulted in instant Lone Wold status for the hole.

A course near my son in South Carolina, Golden Hills has power lines running across a fairway on the back 9 that are in play. 

I have a friend who is a hooker. He has been close to the cart path on 3 at Leslie Park and hit the power lines.

I have to say it makes a great sound

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casualgolfer said:

Hit on a driving range that had a power line that cut through the middle of it lengthwise....

Aim small, miss small

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

11 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I, too, have a friend who is a hooker.  But she doesn't play golf.

I figured someone would take that one.

19 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

One of the courses I play has a par 3, that the tee shot has power lines running across the hole. I've played there probably 30 times never have I hit the power lines, one day I hit them 3 times in a row.

On our honeymoon, my wife suggested I bring my clubs and play a course out in Jamaica so she could tag along (I knew then that I won the lottery).  I chose to play Cinnamon Hill two days after we were married.  

One of the holes (I can't remember which since it's been over 15 years now) has a power line that crosses in front of the tee about 100 yards out or so.  It's a downhill hole, so you're up pretty high and the power line crosses at a height where most people would go right over it.  I jokingly asked my caddie what happened if my ball hit the power line and he said I'd replay the shot... but he had never seen anyone hit the power line because it was so low.  

Well... I was his first... and second.  I teed up my first ball and hit a low screamer that, sure enough, blasted into the power line and dropped straight down into some tall, nasty weeds.  The caddie and my wife busted out laughing.  I was not as amused, but... I teed up a second and caught it low on the face again.  That one hit the top of the line and popped up in the air, dropping to the ground about 75 yards in front of the first.  

My third shot was much better... cleared the line by a wide margin and found the fairway.  The first ball stayed in Jamaica.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Note: This thread is 1569 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!