IGNORED

2019 Presidents Cup

iacas
Note: This thread is 1583 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 hours ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

Sounded like he was not happy with all the players that were auto selections.

Seems a bit childish being that that certainly wasn’t the attitude halfway through the match. 
Winning: ‘ I never would’ve imagine we’d go into the weekend leading, I’m very proud of these guys.’

Losing: ‘ I’m not sure I agree with the automatic selection from the PGA Tour.’

Not actual quotes but if this is the sentiment it’s quite silly.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree this was fun to watch. It's actually the first one I've watched for four or five years because it never seemed to be competitive. Having it come down to last few matches was very compelling. Also, there was no competition from college football this year. In 2021 it will be held here in my hometown of Charlotte. Obviously, it won't be in December so they will have to schedule around some college games. Hopefully, the success of this year's match will help us put on a great show here in the Queen City. 

• Administrator
45 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Losing: ‘ I’m not sure I agree with the automatic selection from the PGA Tour.’

I still don't remember him saying anything like that. He said he was proud of the team all week, including after they'd lost.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

I agree this was fun to watch. It's actually the first one I've watched for four or five years because it never seemed to be competitive. Having it come down to last few matches was very compelling. Also, there was no competition from college football this year. In 2021 it will be held here in my hometown of Charlotte. Obviously, it won't be in December so they will have to schedule around some college games. Hopefully, the success of this year's match will help us put on a great show here in the Queen City. 

After yesterday, I'm really looking forward to the next  President's Cup.  I've never really looked forward to the President's Cup before.  

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

I still don't remember him saying anything like that. He said he was proud of the team all week, including after they'd lost.

I agree.  I would like someone to show me where Ernie said that he had a problem with the automatic selection.  I never heard him or anyone say that.  In the past, they had two picks, and they had a problem with that, so they went to four picks. And that was the end of it.  Eight players play their way onto the cup and guarantee themselves a spot and nothing could be fairer than that.  

If Tiger had not picked himself, I think we would have lost this cup.  There can't be a happier person in the world today.

I think Els did a great job with the team he had. He had them believing and that confidence almost carried them to victory. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

4 hours ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

Did anybody catch El's interview after the match? He seemed to want the PGA out of the international team selection process all together, though he never quite said those words. Sounded like he was not happy with all the players that were auto selections. I may not have got it right, he was talking in circles and i only had a 1/2 a cup of coffee.

I just watched the end on my dvr. I didn’t hear anything at all like that.  A couple of times he mentioned how “I love these guys,” and I didn’t hear anything the selection process.  He did say that they didn’t get the results they wanted, but he was talking about winning the Cup, not about who was playing. 

Unless there was another interview, and we’re watching different interviews.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

18 hours ago, Herkimer said:

That's why he's won 15 majors and over 80 tournaments.  As I write this he's 2 up with 4 to go.  Ancer wanted him and now he'll pay.

Memories of many others who unwisely ran their mouths at Tiger.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Right, me neither. I was referring to @Papa Steve 55 saying he heard something like that. I saw the immediate post match interview, not sure what he’s referring to. 

6 hours ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

Did anybody catch El's interview after the match? He seemed to want the PGA out of the international team selection process all together, though he never quite said those words. Sounded like he was not happy with all the players that were auto selections. I may not have got it right, he was talking in circles and i only had a 1/2 a cup of coffee.

Well what did he say that made you think that?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I fail to understand this earning onto a cup team.  Players earn prize money, wins that allow them to continue to play, rankings get them into the FedEx Cup playoffs.  That is what they "earn".  In some ways this is no different than other team sports.  We have all seen players that rack up points during the season and then just disappear in the playoffs; while others just seem to excel in those pressure situations.  For cup teams there should be no entitlement.  It is all about putting together the best mix of players for the course.

Royal Melbourne was the perfect course for Tiger.  My goodness did he literally tear that place apart.  While it is impossible, if you could put together a team with Tiger's course management, ball striking, putting, and clutch play, you would jump on it.  If that left off some higher ranked multi-millionaires, so what.

John

16 hours ago, jamo said:

Folks, congrats to your 2019 Presidents Cup champs, team Europe!

I'm glad this aged badly.

16 hours ago, HJJ003 said:

It was removed from the Rules of Golf with the 2019 changes. Also, you don’t “halve” holes anymore. Even though most of us still use the lingo it isn’t official anymore.

Wow, too bad.  I don't see the point of eliminating terms of long standing and charm.

5 hours ago, David in FL said:

A win is a win.  :dance:

Like the NFL, there aren’t any style points.  Thankfully.

I'm glad that in the end Tiger inspired them enough to win.  Maybe going 3-0 was part of that inspiration.

Anyway, a thoroughly entertaining event.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• Administrator
53 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Well what did he say that made you think that?

Ernie said this stuff at the desk. It’s at about 7:41 in my recording, well after the matches were over. After the closing ceremony, etc.

He said they needed to be “away” from the PGA Tour and a bit more.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, turtleback said:

I'm glad this aged badly.

Wow, too bad.  I don't see the point of eliminating terms of long standing and charm.

I'm glad that in the end Tiger inspired them enough to win.  Maybe going 3-0 was part of that inspiration.

Anyway, a thoroughly entertaining event.

Or, they got creamed in the team events, but pulled it out of their ass in the individual play.

Thank God for the captain!  :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

38 minutes ago, iacas said:

Ernie said this stuff at the desk. It’s at about 7:41 in my recording, well after the matches were over. After the closing ceremony, etc.

What did he mean by that?  

Does the PGA run this whole thing?  Does the PGA pick the course?  Does the PGA set up the course and choose hole placements?

Does he have a beef with the PGA?  Seems so, based on this.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Thats the interview I was referring to. As I said, I'm not sure what he was speaking to, I guessed a couple players he was given. Did you come up with a different take? I found this quote from the interview

“I know it's a PGA Tour-sanctioned event, but to really be able to do what you need to do, you need to be away from the PGA Tour,” Els said. “To make our own rules, to get our own choices, to do our own thing. We need to be separate.

Edited by Papa Steve 55

On 9/29/2019 at 11:30 AM, Herkimer said:

It's a narcissistic move.  He played great for 4 days in April, but what has he done lately?  Exhibition or not, I want the United States to win.  I don't want a guy who's busy being captain having to also worry about playing well and getting points for the United States.  And why should he risk being a goat and not the G.O.A.T.?  It's time to give others a chance.

Well... this post didn't age well.  3-0-0 in this competition.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

2 minutes ago, bwdial said:

Well... this post didn't age well.  3-0-0 in this competition.

It certainly didn't and Tiger thankfully surprised a lot of people.  I'll even go further by saying that I don't think we would have won if Tiger hadn't chosen himself as a player.  

Note: This thread is 1583 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!