iacas

High and Low Handicapper Privileges and Burdens

41 posts / 2569 viewsLast Reply

I'm borrowing this from somewhere else, but basically:

• LCP - Low Cap Privilege
  • LCB - Low Cap Burden
  • HCP - High Cap Privilege
  • HCB - High Cap Burden

If you're a low handicapper, you know what privileges and burdens are afforded or put on you, and ditto if you're a high handicapper. For example:

LCP:

• You're invited to play at some great courses because people won't be embarrassed to be seen playing with you.
  • You don't have to take half your bag to a ball that's 50 yards from the cart because you're completely unsure what club you're going to need to hit.

LCB:

• Your scramble partners expect you to hit every shot to 10' and to hole every putt, particularly when they think they've "shown you the line" by hitting a ball that missed 2" right… and 10' beyond the hole.
  • You're almost never allowed to hit a bad shot, or you get some side-eye glances and whispers.

There are a ton out there, but let's hear yours. If you're a low handicapper, stick mostly to the LC ones. If you're a mid to high handicapper, stick to the HC ones (even mid-handicappers often remember what it was like to be a high handicapper somewhat recently).

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

HCP - Forward tees

HCB (OLD) - "I don't want to play golf with coffin-dodgers who always ask where did it go?"

HCP:

- No expectations on any of your shots, so relatively little pressure

- Occasionally scoring 5 points on a single hole in Stableford 

HCB:

- When you do drive down the middle of the fairway 250+ yards, there is inevitably a comment along the lines of "What did you say your handicap was again?"

- When you feel like you're wasting everyone's time looking for that errant teeshot... again.

Edited by MrGrumtastic
Typo

HCP - Playing any old cheap golf ball you happen to find and having it not make any difference

HCB - Losing golf balls like they are going out of style.

LCP - Knowing that at least a couple times a round, I hit a shot that even a PGA tour level player would be happy with, usually a really solid drive out past 300 yds, sticking a mid iron shot to 10 feet, etc.

LCB - Higher handicap friends ask me to coach them and fix their swing mid-round. 

LCP - Being eligible to be considered for the Newport Cup team

Walking to the first tee, not worried about topping that first shot in front of the crowd.

LCB - Consistently hearing "What did I do wrong on that one" (to echo @klineka)

HCP - Flighted tournaments

HCB - When you play a corporate outing scramble either for a customer or supplier, you get paired up with some other suppliers/customers. Then you look up around hole 5 and realize that you are the best player on your team and they've used your shot on every hole. Then your only hope is the HCP mentioned above. 

10 hours ago, iacas said:

LCB:

• Your scramble partners expect you to hit every shot to 10' and to hole every putt, particularly when they think they've "shown you the line" by hitting a ball that missed 2" right… and 10' beyond the hole.

That's hilarious! That has happened to me many times and I'm not even a low handicapper. I do play in a lot of customer or supplier outings and I'm usually randomly paired up with other customers or suppliers. Recently I played in one where this other supplier guy would do that every hole. He'd putt right before me, knock it literally 15' past and then turn and say "Did you get the line from that?" 

Oh, the memories.

This is a great thread. 

An interesting thread.  Something I had not thought about before.

HCP:  Well as someone mentioned above if you're the C or D player, no one expects much from you except getting your required drives in. 

HCB: Getting lessons on the course during a competition.  This doesn't help, and frankly if I wanted a lesson I'd make an appointment for one.  During a competition I just want to play and contribute as much as I can to the team.  I don't mind advice on club selection or reading greens and such.   But, I don't want to hear what is wrong or what is correct about my swing during a competition.

HCP: Getting to explore parts of the course usually reserved for facilities people.

HCB:  Having to use GPS to get back.

John

HCB:

• The extra weight of golf balls you have to carry around to make sure you don't run out mid-round.
  • Getting shitty swing advice from other high/mid cappers in your group
  • Checking yourself for ticks after searching for your ball in the bushes
  • Getting poison oak after searching for your ball in the bushes

HCP:

• Breakfast balls are expected/encouraged

LCP:
-Get invited to play in a lot of tournaments and leagues

-Don’t typically lose a lot of golf balls

LCB:

-Expected to never have a bad round. 

-When playing with randoms you get told to hit when people are in your landing zones because they do not know your capabilities. 

LCP:
-Get invited to play at private clubs and high end golf courses that you could never get on or afford to pay for yourself.

LCB:

-Other high handicap golfers don't like to play with you because they feel too much pressure and you're always watching them. (actually had someone tell me this) 

I am definitely HC, though improving.  But, when I am playing golf, I really don't think of anything as a burden!  If it was, why would I want to play.  I think I would call what are being called "burdens" responsibilities.  I guess if being responsible is a burden...

Anyway:

HCP:

1.  There are lower expectations.  Of course our objective is to exceed them!

2.  We meet a lot of friendly people when we play.  Playing as a single you meet others, as well, but don't let it ruin your day!

3.  We hit a shot now and then that we can be proud of, even if it's an accident!

HCB:

1.  We must play in such a way as to not negatively impact others.  Again, I don't see it as a burden, but a HC probably has to have it more in mind than a LC.

2.  Respect the abilities of those you are playing with.

3.  Do your part to help everyone be their best.  Figure out when to talk, when to be quiet.  I think people of all abilities play best when they are comfortable with the other in the group.  Make the effort to understand what makes them comfortable!  Some like to talk, some want you to be invisible.  Some like you to compliment their shots, some don't.  Some like you to stand in one place when they tee off, some another.  And so on.

5 minutes ago, jlbos83 said:

2.  Respect the abilities of those you are playing with.

3.  Do your part to help everyone be their best.  Figure out when to talk, when to be quiet.  I think people of all abilities play best when they are comfortable with the other in the group.  Make the effort to understand what makes them comfortable!  Some like to talk, some want you to be invisible.  Some like you to compliment their shots, some don't.  Some like you to stand in one place when they tee off, some another.  And so on.

I feel like these apply to all golfers regardless of handicap and I really wouldnt consider either of these to be burdens.

1 minute ago, klineka said:

I feel like these apply to all golfers regardless of handicap and I really wouldnt consider either of these to be burdens.

As I said, if I'm playing golf, it's pretty hard to think of anything as a burden.  As a HC, I do like to make sure I am not causing issues for a LC, so I do think more about it.

I tried to think of "burdens", I just don't see them that way!

LCP: - Play in scratch competitions on courses i woulnd´t be allowed to play and in their best shape.
- Playing and sometimes beating some top tier amateurs. 
- In most cases everyone prefer to play with a LC than a HC.
- People give a lot more credit to your advices just because you are a LC, even when you don´t have a clue. 
- Don´t loose too many balls.
- Get to shoot under par a couple of times per year witch makes you feel like you are a decent player.

LCB: - You are supposed to hit 300 yards drives, hit every green, attack every flag and sink every putt.
- You get a lot more request for advices douring a round. 
- Gear is more expensive
- A ball in the pond cost more than 1 stroke.
- It´s harder to found another LC to play a match without handicap
- It harder to win net tournaments
- Win another throphy means nothing, you have a house full of them.
- Really high expectations that don´t match the reallity    

Great topic

HCP: only having to make putts in a tourney when the ‘D’ player

HCB: Making sure to keep up

HCB: When you are the ‘A’ player, having to not turn back into the ‘D’ player.

14 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

LCP Walking to the first tee, not worried about topping that first shot in front of the crowd.

LCB:  when you do top the first shot in front of a crowd, people remember it for a while, like Jeff Sluman's first tee shot in competition after he won the PGA. 

LCB:  You start to worry your higher handicap friends might not want to play with you because they think you might think they're not good enough. :-(  They're still my friends!