IGNORED

Best Ball for Mid- to High-Handicapper?

Note: This thread is 1481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Something that you will not mind losing in a pond.  Just remember, "soft" tend to go straighter and not as long.  "Tour Distance" and similar labels are supposed to go longer but not as straight.  The top-end balls, claim to have both benefits.

That said, I thought this topic was for a tournament structure.

Oh, here is a more complete analysis:

golf-ball-guide-2019.jpg

Need help choosing new golf balls? Here you'll find everything you need to know about 35 new golf balls from eight top manufacturers.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, Double Drops said:

I'm looking for suggestions for a new ball.  I'm a mid- to high-handicapper and am open to suggestions.  I would prefer something with a little spin on it, but nothing crazy.

I've tried everything from Top-Flite XL to Titleist ProV1, and I've settled on something between the two extremes. I pick my ball based on feel and cost. Because I play somewhere in the range of mid/high handicap, I do lose balls from time to time, and I hate the idea of throwing $5 bills into the woods/ponds.

I prefer softer feel on putting and short game shots, and I don't notice much of a difference in feel/distance on full swings, but this might be more due to my skill level.

I try go for for something in the $15-25/dozen price range, and some of the recent ones I've tried, in order of preference:

• Wilson Duo
  • Callaway Supersoft
  • Kirkland (3-piece)
  • Maxfli Softfli
  • Vice Tour

If a premium ball happens to be on sale for a good price, I grab some, but most of the time I can't justify $40-50/dozen.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

I am a loyal follower of the Bridgestone e6s, and e7s for around $22 a dozen. 

One of their big pluses for me is how readily available they are, no matter where I am. That, and their playability on, and around the greens for me. 

Also, as slow swinger of golf clubs, I still get good, consistent distances on all my full swings..

Also, after trying other brands, their playability is just as good, or better than other, similar balls. 

In the end, I really think it's up to the end user which ball they are comfortable with. No one ball fits everyone. Best to try several brand/models out, and decide for one's self. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

1 minute ago, Patch said:

I am a loyal follower of the Bridgestone e6s, and e7s for around $22 a dozen. 

One of my good friends plays Bridgestone e6 and really likes them. I haven't played them yet but have been meaning to try.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Check out Snell:

Snell Golf balls designed by golf ball guru Dean Snell. Offering tour caliber golf balls to the everyday player at an affordable price.

I’ve been playing Bridgestone e12 speed this year. 

• Like 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

I played Snell this year and liked the ball and will keep playing it. 5 dozen for $139 shipped to your door.

There was a post above about soft balls not being as long. I don't believe that this is correct from the data I have seen. If you go to the Golf Digest link this person posts all of the various ball types have the distance icon over to the right indicating that they all have good distance.

Wilson Ultra yellow. 9.99 for 15. Best all purpose ball for a mid to high handicap. Like all other brands, it does not float. 

• Like 1

:cobra: UL stand Bag
:ping: G425 Max
 :ping: hybrid G15 20 * 
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

:vokey:54*
:tmade: High Toe 58*

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport

:clicgear:

• 4 weeks later...

The old Bridgestone e6 was the best ball I had ever played including the Pro v1 and Pro v1x. Have not tried the new e12 line yet.

Driver- Taylormade R15 9.5*, 3 Wood- Taylormade R15 15*, Irons- Nike SQ Sumo 4-AW, Wedges- 56*,60* Callaway Mack Daddy Forged, Putter- Ping Karsten TR Anser 5

Bag- Titleist Player 3 Stand Bag

Ball- Taylormade Project a

This 19 HC player likes the Srixon Z-star. $29.99/doz. OR the Taylormade Project-a in the same price range.

Great feel around the green. Excellent off the tee. Your mileage may vary. 

I like a ball I can pop and stop on the green. One that checks up on a lob shot or bunker shot. Driver? They're all within 200 rpm off the tee. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I'll tell you what, if you happen to have a certain "big box sporting goods" store in your area that sells the Callaway Diablo Tour ball (3 dozen for $40.00 right now).....jump all over it. You can also order them on-line even if you don't have that "sporting goods" store in your area. Good three piece ball for the price.

Edited by Bucki1968
  • Thumbs Up 2

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

5 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

I'll tell you what, if you happen to have a certain "big box sporting goods" store in your area that sells the Callaway Daiblo Tour ball (3 dozen for $40.00 right now).....jump all over it. You can also order them on-line even if you don't have that "sporting goods" store in your area. Good three piece ball for the price.

Thanks.

My sibs and I get each other presents with about a $40 cap, so that works perfectly. I've told them that golf balls are always one thing I'm sure to use. 

Callaway CXR Power in high viz yellow. For a high handicapper, surprisingly good, and cheap as chips.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I've been very happy with the Srixon Q Star 'Tour' (not to be confused with the Q Star); the Tour has a urethane cover and plays great in windy conditions (something we have a lot of in Texas).  I was pretty happy with the Costco Kirkland 4-piece but that's not available anymore.  I would put the Q Star Tour as having more 'heft' (some may call it feel) than the Costco ball and better feel on the green.  Costs range from $26-$29/dozen.  $29 is the not-on-sale cost; I've waited for deals on it and got it for as low as $19.99/dz (you can't beat that for a urethane cover ball). Good luck.  

Driver: Taylormade M3 (9o) with Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 Stiff-flex shaft.  3-wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB2 (15o) with Fujikura Regular-flex

3H: Tour Edge (18o) with R-flex 80g shaft.  4H: 22o  Taylormade Rbz Stage 2 with R-flex shaft.

Irons (5-PW): Titleist 804os with True Temper reg. flex shaft.  Wedges: 50o deg Titleist SM-7 12o bounce F grind, 56o (bent to 54o) Cleveland RTG sand wedge, Cleveland RTX-3 CB 58o wedge 9o bounce.

Putter: TaylorMade Ghost Monte Carlo w/Super Stroke 2.0 grip

• 2 weeks later...

I just restocked my shelf with a few boxes of Maxfli Soflis. Pretty good two-piece ball and cheap enough that dropping a few in the drink doesn't tear at my soul. $12.50/dozen at Golfworks is hard for me to pass up.

My old but trusty bag is filled with clubs I built...Integra SoooLong 450 10.5°, Jackaroo II 13* 16* 23*  hybrids, Dynacraft irons and wedges...plus a sweet Tad Moore Peach putter.

Please check out my sports card/memorabilia blog: The Five Tool Collector

On 12/11/2019 at 8:07 AM, Bucki1968 said:

I'll tell you what, if you happen to have a certain "big box sporting goods" store in your area that sells the Callaway Diablo Tour ball (3 dozen for $40.00 right now).....jump all over it. You can also order them on-line even if you don't have that "sporting goods" store in your area. Good three piece ball for the price.

Actually, that is a spectacular price for a 3-piece ball.

Costco sells Callaway HEX for a little over a dollar a ball. that is my price range given the number I put into the water for the woods. sometimes I can't even find them on the rough, that really pisses me off.

Note: This thread is 1481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!