Double Drops

Best Ball for Mid- to High-Handicapper?

9 posts / 782 viewsLast Reply

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

Something that you will not mind losing in a pond.  Just remember, "soft" tend to go straighter and not as long.  "Tour Distance" and similar labels are supposed to go longer but not as straight.  The top-end balls, claim to have both benefits.

That said, I thought this topic was for a tournament structure.

Oh, here is a more complete analysis:

golf-ball-guide-2019.jpg

Need help choosing new golf balls? Here you'll find everything you need to know about 35 new golf balls from eight top manufacturers.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, Double Drops said:

I'm looking for suggestions for a new ball.  I'm a mid- to high-handicapper and am open to suggestions.  I would prefer something with a little spin on it, but nothing crazy.

I've tried everything from Top-Flite XL to Titleist ProV1, and I've settled on something between the two extremes. I pick my ball based on feel and cost. Because I play somewhere in the range of mid/high handicap, I do lose balls from time to time, and I hate the idea of throwing $5 bills into the woods/ponds.

I prefer softer feel on putting and short game shots, and I don't notice much of a difference in feel/distance on full swings, but this might be more due to my skill level.

I try go for for something in the $15-25/dozen price range, and some of the recent ones I've tried, in order of preference:

• Wilson Duo
  • Callaway Supersoft
  • Kirkland (3-piece)
  • Maxfli Softfli
  • Vice Tour

If a premium ball happens to be on sale for a good price, I grab some, but most of the time I can't justify $40-50/dozen.

I am a loyal follower of the Bridgestone e6s, and e7s for around $22 a dozen. 

One of their big pluses for me is how readily available they are, no matter where I am. That, and their playability on, and around the greens for me. 

Also, as slow swinger of golf clubs, I still get good, consistent distances on all my full swings..

Also, after trying other brands, their playability is just as good, or better than other, similar balls. 

In the end, I really think it's up to the end user which ball they are comfortable with. No one ball fits everyone. Best to try several brand/models out, and decide for one's self. 

1 minute ago, Patch said:

I am a loyal follower of the Bridgestone e6s, and e7s for around $22 a dozen. 

One of my good friends plays Bridgestone e6 and really likes them. I haven't played them yet but have been meaning to try.

Check out Snell:

Snell Golf balls designed by golf ball guru Dean Snell. Offering tour caliber golf balls to the everyday player at an affordable price.

I’ve been playing Bridgestone e12 speed this year. 

I played Snell this year and liked the ball and will keep playing it. 5 dozen for $139 shipped to your door.

There was a post above about soft balls not being as long. I don't believe that this is correct from the data I have seen. If you go to the Golf Digest link this person posts all of the various ball types have the distance icon over to the right indicating that they all have good distance.

Wilson Ultra yellow. 9.99 for 15. Best all purpose ball for a mid to high handicap. Like all other brands, it does not float.