Valleygolfer

Sand Shank… What Did He Do Wrong?

36 posts / 1239 viewsLast Reply

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

From what I figure, that wasn't a "shank" as such. But he was trying so hard to pull across it to get it up in the air, that it clanked off the toe side, not the hosel side. In my books a shank is off the hosel, and a clank is off the toe. Still... the luckiest bastid on the tour that day...

4 minutes ago, RayG said:

From what I figure, that wasn't a "shank" as such. But he was trying so hard to pull across it to get it up in the air, that it clanked off the toe side, not the hosel side. In my books a shank is off the hosel, and a clank is off the toe. Still... the luckiest bastid on the tour that day...

Nah, it doesn't go that hard right when you hit it off the toe. It was a pure shank.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, that is not the result I am accustomed to getting when I skull a bunker shot.  His reaction speaks volumes of how he viewed the outcome.

16 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Nah, it doesn't go that hard right when you hit it off the toe. It was a pure shank.

I disagree.  I've seen friends deal with what they thought were heel-shanks and they found out it was a toe-shank when they footsprayed their club.  It doesn't matter whether it is out of the hosel or the EXTREME toe; the ball will likely go way right.

That was a hosel rocket, happens to the best of us...lucky bastard. You know who else was lucky? All the people on the other side of that hill!

Pure shank. Happened to me last Sunday, ball over feet and little sand equals shank.
That´s because you go at it in a steeper angle, but in this scenario the club angle is more horizontal than normal and that extra going a it results in hitting it more rigth (no steeper), causing the shank. 

results was fine - therefore he didn't do anything wrong

hard shot to repeat though even with a lot of practice, I'd switch to something more standard

obviously it's a toe strike - video evidence is irrefutable......😛

2019-11-20 10_27_27-Sand shank, what did he do wrong_ - Golf Talk - The Sand Trap .com.jpg

Edited by rehmwa

48 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

I disagree.  I've seen friends deal with what they thought were heel-shanks and they found out it was a toe-shank when they footsprayed their club.  It doesn't matter whether it is out of the hosel or the EXTREME toe; the ball will likely go way right.

Hard right meaning so fast to the right. A shank can be hit really hard and have some velocity on it. Toe shanks are not nearly that hard or fast. 

If it was Phil, the announcers would be swooning over his "imagination" used in his shots....

Yeah looked like a toe strike to me too. Done that before lol. Now when I take bunker shots I really try to thump the sand behind the ball. Works well. If your scared of it sometimes you will lift up and catch the ball with the leading edge.

3 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Yes it can. If the clubface is wide open and he hits the ball instead of the sand. Of course it can.

3 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

His reaction speaks volumes of how he viewed the outcome.

You don't say.

Edited by leftybutnotPM

4 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

But why was it shanked...?

It wasn't shanked. The OP doesn't know what a shank is.

It came off the toe. The clubface was wide open and the toe hit the ball rather than the club hitting the sand.

Edited by leftybutnotPM

10 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

It wasn't shanked. The OP doesn't know what a shank is.

It came off the toe. The clubface was wide open and the toe hit the ball rather than the club hitting the sand.

It's a matter of semantics. Of course the club face was open, he was in the sand. Blade/shank, he did something wrong. What caused him to hit it incorrectly is the question.

I'll say it for a third time.

Just a bad swing. came up early.

I'm sticking with toe shank... partial, not full, thus giving the ball some speed.  He was executing a standard sand shot:  face open, swinging across the ball, outside in.  When you do that the hosel is getting more distant from the ball and the toe is coming into play as the club approaches the ball.