IGNORED

2020 TST Birdie Challenge

iacas
Note: This thread is 1122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just added #6 and #17 to the home course birdie fest. They are both par 5s and I can't believe it took me a dozen rounds to get those. I guess I was putting too much pressure on myself...

Btw, this round is also the first time I completed a nine holes side under par (at just one under): until then par had been my best. I couldn't hold it on the back 9, shooting 4 over for a total of 73 (+3, differential of 4.4). Still not bad. 🙂

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My progress has stalled a little bit but I’m in okay shape. The easy holes I still need to birdie are 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13. 

3, 4, and 14 are really tough greens that make it difficult to get the ball close. 15 is a medium-length par-3 that I just never seem to do well on. 

I knocked off all the really simple ones, and a few of the trickier ones, early. No eagles, somewhat frustratingly. I’m or very close on the 18th green in 2 almost every time but it’s tricky to make putts on. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator

I still have 1, 2, 4, and 8 remaining. Played the white tees today so I don't count rounds from those tees: only blue and black.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

I got 18 the other day. 292 off the tee, 104 to the hole, hit it 103, and tapped in. That left only 1, 2, 4, and 8. Today I was eager to knock off a few on the front.

On 1, 280 or so, slightly thin 9I from 140 to 15 feet over the hole. Putt broke 18" when I'd planned on about 15".

On 2, chipped an 8I a bit past the hole. 12 feet, but 5' of break. Putt just slid by low.

On 4, hit a good hybrid out to the right, good lob wedge to five feet. Putt broke 8" left to right. Made it in the heart. Great putt.

On 8, I pushed a PW from 128 after hitting a decent driver about 280 (downhill, but into the breeze) to five feet. The putt broke just over two feet and had to be a perfect combo of line and speed. It was a 5% slope. Putt slipped by just low (the putt before mine, from 8', missed just low and kept rolling… to six feet. So I babied it a little, though I'd played enough break at that speed).

Oh well. Three holes remain. I'll get 8, and 2, at some point. One will be the tough one, but if the course remains this firm and I can hit 8I to PW into it, I'll get it too. When it's soft and cool we hit 5I or 4I into it.

10.5 rounds in the books (the 0.5 round was the front nine, annoyingly enough).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I am now just one shy of finishing on the away courses. I chipped in on a par 3 (178 yds) on #15, after running just a bit long over the back. Just like the pros do! :dance:

• Upvote 1

Philippe

Played my "home" course yesterday.  Missed par putts on both remaining holes for my par challenge.  But I added a birdie to the away composite this morning.

Birdied 7 and 13 today.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I actually played my "home" course for the third time this year.   Birdies on 12 and 13.    

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator

Played an away course today, got birdies on 1, 5, 9, and 10. Only 10 was not a duplicate, so I think I'm up to 13 holes in eight rounds.

Fourth home course round, 7/25, only change was a par on #3.  I still have lots of work to do!  Playing there tomorrow. 

Very possible I have a better ringer score at another course I've played fewer times this year. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Fifth round, 7/26, no changes.  I'm still 6 or 7 over with only one birdie.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

On 7/17/2020 at 8:00 PM, sjduffers said:

I am now just one shy of finishing on the away courses. I chipped in on a par 3 (178 yds) on #15, after running just a bit long over the back. Just like the pros do! :dance:

Challenge time ... will you get #14 before I manage #10 and #13 on the "Away Course Composite?"  I think I may play more often than you so I have a chance.

Brian Kuehn

I just started this challenge and I don't have a home course so its all away so the after 6 rounds on 5 courses I have scratched off 1, 3, 10, 11, 13, 15, 17, 18. I probably should start playing the back first! 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• Administrator
37 minutes ago, TourSpoon said:

I just started this challenge and I don't have a home course so its all away so the after 6 rounds on 5 courses I have scratched off 1, 3, 10, 11, 13, 15, 17, 18. I probably should start playing the back first! 

I have 1, 2, 8 left. I knocked off 4 recently. I have said the same thing as the back has been done for weeks.

That or I should warm up. 🙂

Finally managed to birdied #16 and 17 this weekend to complete all 18.  Saturday on 17 i came up about 9" short of my first ace.  Sunday, i finally birdied 16 with a 20 footer that advanced me to the next round of our match play tournament.

6 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Challenge time ... will you get #14 before I manage #10 and #13 on the "Away Course Composite?"  I think I may play more often than you so I have a chance.

Yes you do. #14 is a tough hole on the 2 of the 3 courses that I am regularly playing as the away courses. I have probably a better chance on one of them though, so watch out! 

Philippe

Note: This thread is 1122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!