IGNORED

Shots You’ve Called

dagolfer18
Note: This thread is 1535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Has there ever been a moment where y’all call a shot before you even hit it? For example, one may be, from 150 out, “I’m stuffing this within 10 feet.” I called a shot today. Thing is, we were playing minigolf. One of the holes goes over two humps, and the hole was on the other side of the second hump. One of us put our putter in the hole so the others could see where it was. I managed a two on the hole after sinking a putt that went up the side of the hump. We decided to play it again, as we do every hole except the 18th. My dad and I were standing on the tee, and he said, “It’s nearly impossible to make a hole in one here.”, to which I replied, “I’m just about to make it.” Sure enough, my ball rolled over the two humps, banked off the back wall, rolled back to the cup, hung on the lip for a moment, and dropped in. That sure felt good, although it wasn’t official (we only score our first tries).

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes, and everybody is going to tell you the one time they called a shot and convert it and don´t tell you about the 1 hundred times they called a shot and failed to deliver

• Upvote 2

I almost never call shots aloud, though I will visualise/call it to myself.  Don't like calling shots because it makes you seem kinda arrogant in general.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

#12 -  160 yrd par 3 with a couple gentleman I ended up playing along with.  1st Guy mishit and was short.  2nd guy stuck it 6 ft away from the pin.  So, I said I have to beat that great shot !!!!!   And did, I stuck it about 4.5 ft away.  Of course he birdied the putt and I, 2 putted...….  LOL

I was probably more shocked about the call shot than they were...…… 

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

Every good shot I’ve ever hit.   I never stand over the ball thinking/visualizing a bad result...

But, although this wasn’t mine, I witnessed it so it’s worth mentioning.  Our club Saturday morning shootout and skins game.    Playing with 3 of my usual golf buddies.  15th hole, 190 yd par-3.  Buddy 1 hits it to 12” and says “beat that boys!”.   Buddy 2 says, “eff you, I’ll just make it!”  

....and does!

EF948B51-30E1-438D-90BA-332499E20ACA.jpeg

Edited by David in FL
  • Thumbs Up 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Ive called several of my shots. But they've all been either chip ins, putts or pitches. Shots that i had a reasonably good idea were going down. I dont think ive ever stared down a pin from 150 or something and proclaimed "im ramming this to 3 feet" 

... While I very rarely call a shot, I was playing with my 28yr old son on an extremely windy day. My ball was an inch off the fairway but in medium thick rough and I had 181 to a front pin. I pulled my driving iron and told my son "got a 25 mph wind in my face so I am gonna hit a knockdown that should land 10-15 yds short of the green and roll onto the front". He simply said "Let's see it". Went exactly as planned landing short and rolling on and then into the cup for an eagle. While I have had many eagles on par 5's this was my first and only an a par 4. 

My most recent one was in a match play.  I had exactly 110yds, and is perfect for my 56. I had been hitting my wedges pretty tight that day.  My opponent goes first and his ball takes a lucky bounce off the fringe and rolls to 3ft from the hole.  I'm taking dead aim and am almost expecting my ball to sit right next to his. I hit it right on the pin but 6ft behind the hole and we tied with birdies.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I don’t really think I have ever called a shot, but there are instances where I will announce my intentions to another player before executing exactly what I intended to do, especially if it’s a trouble shot. Pretty sure I did that a few times playing with @Vinsk.

There was one time I came to a difficult par 3 with a dangerous hole location to the right side of the green very close to the water. I told my playing partner that I’m aiming for the center of the green 25’ away and if my ball gets anywhere near the hole, it’s a miss. Ended up with a tap-in birdie.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

Every good shot I’ve ever hit.   I never stand over the ball thinking/visualizing a bad result...

But, although this wasn’t mine, I witnessed it so it’s worth mentioning.  Our club Saturday morning shootout and skins game.    Playing with 3 of my usual golf buddies.  15th hole, 190 yd par-3.  Buddy 1 hits it to 12” and says “beat that boys!”.   Buddy 2 says, “eff you, I’ll just make it!”  

....and does!

EF948B51-30E1-438D-90BA-332499E20ACA.jpeg

That’s insane. The odds of making an ace after calling it are extremely slim. But your friend will definitely have a story that he’ll probably tell for the rest of his life!

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Quite often actually. In fact, I’ve just about called every shank. And yeah @billchao you called several shots including that incredible sand wedge from 8” wet Bermuda on the bank of a pond safely onto the green. I wouldn’t bet against very many if any of your trouble shots.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On shorter par 3s, I'll ask my group how they want their names spelled in the newspaper (hole in one).   Nothing official yet but I keep askin'.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I can honestly say, NEVER! Like @David in FL I visualize a positive outcome in my mind for my upcoming shot, but I never announce it. I'd rather pick a positive target to hit TOWARD, rather than negative trouble to hit away FROM. A particular instance just came to mind. 

We were playing a local course where the 9th hole is one of those dumbass "big tree in the middle of the fairway" holes! I hate that hole! The average hacker is presented with 2 tiny slivers of fairway that the USGA would be pilloried for demanding pros to hit! I usually aim right at the tree, and usually wind up nowhere behind it. 

This time was different. But, I did see the opportunity to play a big draw around the right side of the tree. I said nothing, but the instant I made contact I knew I had hit the best shot I was capable of. It finished 5-6 feet below the hole and I sank the birdie putt! 

Does it count if someone else calls it?

In my club's fourball championship last year (2019), in the semi-finals, I needed to start a 4H on a particular line and fade it.  If I missed, it was in a bunker, but anything worse than par and we were going to lose the hole anyway and my partner was out of the hole, so it was worth the risk of starting a ball at the bunker.  My partner and I agreed on the shot and, without a practice swing, I stepped up and hit it exactly as described.

I'm not sure if that counts as a called shot or not, but I'm not exactly experienced with draws and fades on command (low priority for me, but at least I know the ball flight laws -- thanks to TST). 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I can't recall ever calling a shot before hitting it. I do however always see the shot I want to hit before hitting. 

Someting I hit what I see, most times I miss the mental picture by some margin.

Some days are just better than others.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

The 9th hole at my home course has water on the right and OB on the left and and usually a pretty stiff left to right wind. I used to say: "my par for this hole is two balls in the water". I decided I would stop with the negative talk one day and have stopped hitting as many balls into that pond, but have said many times "This one is going swimming", as was correct.

Edited by Sean_D

Note: This thread is 1535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!