IGNORED

LIV Golf (Saudi PIF), "Mergers," and More

iacas

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yes. Not a fan. If you’re a “man of your word” then give your word and say what we all now know.

And sorry bub, you’re not playing in the Presidents Cup if you play in Boston.

Me neither.

But as tweet above said, this is indeed a big loss for PGA and a big victory for LIV. All the other top players recruited are in the afternoon (or twilight) of their careers. He's arguably on his way up (#2) and is among the world's best putters right now.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, imsys0042 said:

Cam Smith is a mega douche.  Stonewalling so he can play in the FedEx Cup and delaying what is reportedly a done deal.  

I'm of two minds here.  I had, and still have, big problems with players who signed a PGA Tour contract last fall, and broke it to play the LIV Tour.  Cam Smith is apparently going to complete his contractual obligations with the Tour, and join the LIV Tour before the next PGA Tour season begins.  That seem to be a reasonable sequence to me.

On the other hand, stonewalling is tantamount to lying, assuming the reports are correct and the deal is already done.  Still, what if he says "I'm going to play out my contract and then leave for LIV"?  Does the Tour suspend him from the playoffs for his future plans, even though he hasn't broken any of the contract requirements yet?  That seems problematic to me too.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

15 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm of two minds here.  I had, and still have, big problems with players who signed a PGA Tour contract last fall, and broke it to play the LIV Tour.  Cam Smith is apparently going to complete his contractual obligations with the Tour, and join the LIV Tour before the next PGA Tour season begins.  That seem to be a reasonable sequence to me.

On the other hand, stonewalling is tantamount to lying, assuming the reports are correct and the deal is already done.  Still, what if he says "I'm going to play out my contract and then leave for LIV"?  Does the Tour suspend him from the playoffs for his future plans, even though he hasn't broken any of the contract requirements yet?  That seems problematic to me too.

This is exactly what I was thinking when the news came down. Why wouldn't other players follow this same path. Why bail on the Pga tour in the middle of season? 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Just now, Bucki1968 said:

Why bail on the Pga tour in the middle of season? 

backing-you-get-yours.gif.d2c3105e729f5b6cd09f74c6db07931a.gif

They may have been threatened that if they don't take the money now, the offer will be withdrawn. 

Shoot, I'm sorry. That's not it. 
It's because they are in a hurry "To Grow The Game". 🤪

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

11 hours ago, DeadMan said:

I am a little surprised the LIV players didn't get a temporary restraining order. This means that the PGA Tour bans are going to be in force for a while, and LIV players will not be able to play in a PGA Tour event.

It also means the lawsuit will likely be going to discovery. That is going to be extremely messy. And interesting for us outsiders. But the lawsuit is likely going to drag on for a couple of years at this point. There is a small chance the LIV players voluntarily dismiss the lawsuit and different players file a new lawsuit somewhere else. I don't think that's what will happen here, but I could be wrong.

The lack of restraining order doesn't surprise me, but I think you have more expertise in this arena than I do.  I think the reasoning was it was not an emergency, it was foreseeable, they knew it would happen, and they took their time filing it.  I think if they had known it was going to happen, and did it anyway, and filed right when that happened, they'd have a better argument.

In any case, on the rare occasion I watch a lawsuit, discovery is often my favorite part.  Where are my popcorn gifs?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I don't think it is similar to lying. It is in that gray area for sure. Just because a reporter asks you a question does not mean you are required to answer it. Not answering questions has its own consequences in terms of the persons image. Court of public opinion is much less likely to assume a person is innocent. 

We all wish people would just be honest, but also, he has to protect his best interests. I am sure his lawyers have told him not to comment on it. What he says now could be used if he has to go to court with the PGA Tour over playing out this year. Even if the PGA Tour has no grounds to suspend him because he would be playing out this golf season. 

To change my severity of stonewalling, its WAY less worse than lying. In the end, he isn't lying. He isn't going up there and saying, "I plan on sticking with the PGA Tour going foward." Then in 6 months he jumps ship. Like, that is definitely worse than him not answering.  

• Like 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I guess I missed Cam's press conference, but from the comments, I am guessing he didn't quite go full Marshawn, but maybe it would have been better for him if he had?

I have no idea what PGA Tour media interaction guidelines say. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Still, what if he says "I'm going to play out my contract and then leave for LIV"?  Does the Tour suspend him from the playoffs for his future plans, even though he hasn't broken any of the contract requirements yet?  That seems problematic to me too.

Previously, the PGA Tour has only banned LIV players AFTER they hit their first tee shots on a LIV event. Before then, it was only: "this is what will happen if you go ahead".

So, yes, I could see him finishing his season on the PGA Tour and moving on to LIV afterwards, but that the fact that he won't admit it now make him look like a fool, who is disrespecting everyone he is talking to. Not a fan.

Edited by sjduffers
  • Like 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

11 minutes ago, sjduffers said:

... but that the fact that he won't admit it now make him look like a fool, who is disrespecting everyone he is talking to. Not a fan.

I am kind of surprised that the PR teams or publicists for these guys (I assume a lot of the bigger guys have those??) aren't convincing them that these are bad ideas in the long run.  For guys (I'm thinking of Bryson from a year or so ago, I have to assume it applies to others too) that are concerned with their "brand," how are they not seeing how many fans they are turning off with these decisions?

They either don't really care, or they are convinced that in the long run, LIV is going to be a success and well received?

26 minutes ago, sjduffers said:

Previously, the PGA Tour has only banned LIV players AFTER they hit their first tee shots on a LIV event. Before then, it was only: "this is what will happen if you go ahead".

So, yes, I could see him finishing his season on the PGA Tour and moving on to LIV afterwards, but that the fact that he won't admit it now make him look like a fool, who is disrespecting everyone he is talking to. Not a fan.

I have no idea, but is it possible he's still mulling over the decision? Maybe he really doesn't know what he's going to do? Maybe he wants to leave all doors open. Again, I don't know him, so I really have no idea. 

20 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I am kind of surprised that the PR teams or publicists for these guys (I assume a lot of the bigger guys have those??) aren't convincing them that these are bad ideas in the long run.  For guys (I'm thinking of Bryson from a year or so ago, I have to assume it applies to others too) that are concerned with their "brand," how are they not seeing how many fans they are turning off with these decisions?

They either don't really care, or they are convinced that in the long run, LIV is going to be a success and well received?

I'm guessing that the LIV guys don't actually care about fan perception all that much.

As far as brands go, I don't know anything about how marketable PGA Tour players are, but I don't believe any of the guys who have left for LIV have true star power to have monetary value that is simply associated with their name (e.g. Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan). Maybe Phil Mickelson had this. Now that Bryson, Brooks, and DJ are not on the PGA Tour, they have basically slipped out of existence for me.

My thought on the role of the PR team is that their job is to spin perception of their client's decision so that defecting to LIV doesn't make them look like a greedy asshole. I'm sure the agents and managers are happy to take their cut of the LIV money, and maybe they are more influential to a player than their PR team. Judging by some of the statements the players have made, they don't have very good PR teams, or they player's are just too dumb to actually follow the plan the PR team prepared.

• Like 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

4 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

I'm sure the agents and managers are happy to take their cut of the LIV money, and maybe they are more influential to a player than their PR team.

I never thought about that. hmm....

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Shindig said:

The lack of restraining order doesn't surprise me, but I think you have more expertise in this arena than I do.  I think the reasoning was it was not an emergency, it was foreseeable, they knew it would happen, and they took their time filing it.  I think if they had known it was going to happen, and did it anyway, and filed right when that happened, they'd have a better argument.

The judge specifically said that she felt it was filed in a timely manner.

It seems to have come down almost entirely to the fact that they were not harmed nor were they going to be.

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 8/6/2022 at 6:47 PM, 70sSanO said:

I agree with you.  I don't have the answers to this.  I don't know why the PGAT and not the DPWT was selected since, I believe, both organizations have suspended players.  A bit more puzzling with the Stenson situation.

I am also not sure of the Premier League situation and why the Saudis didn't pursue any litigation.  Part of me thinks that there are certain sports you just don't mess with because the clubs and fanbases will rise up if they feel any threat, especially from a foreign government.

I think the PGAT is low hanging fruit and its fanbase will not react as footballer fans might, or even the fans from the birthplace of golf.  I can't say.

I do feel that recent times have proven that the proper spin and fear has much more of an impact regardless of the reality of the spin.  As an example, if the spin was, "The Saudi Govt is going after American golf and American football and baseball are next," you have engaged a much larger and more vocal portion of the population.  Plus, the rhetoric is no longer directed at players or LIV, but a silent stakeholder that may not be able to win the social media war.  It makes little difference about the validity of the spin, only the fear of the spin.

John

Definitely. I posted earlier in this thread that I think there's a lot of media manipulation here, and to a lesser or greater extent it works. I think the media is probably extra motivated by the types of human rights issues Saudi Arabia has as they clash with liberal western values , and the PGA is doing a savvy job in leveraging the media to whip up anti LIV sentiment.

It's similar to what happened in the Europe with the super league - I don't necessarily think the outcome will be the same because Golf is global , but it's certainly making LIV's job harder.

2 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

You may think it's bad idea and are turned off, but that doesn't necessarily apply to all or even a majority of golf fans. I suspect they do have those guys, and they are probably better than the average Joe at distinguishing narrative from reality. They are probably telling these golfers something like the following : 

The 9/11 Commission said that the Saudi government wasn't involved," Feherty said. "People that criticize are doing business with China, doing business with Russia. China, in particular, is a country where they're murdering Uyghurs left, right, and centre, and their human rights record is horrendous. You can point to various countries throughout the world. I wouldn’t want to behave like that, but wherever golf is, good happens, and I’m hoping this will do the same thing. [LIV] has said its going to donate $100 million to area charities."

And while I'm sure LIV will go down badly with millions of golfers in the US and Scotland, I'm not so sure that it will be the case in places like Asia, mexico etc. Even in somewhere like USA opinion will ultimately likely divide (rather than going entirely anti-liv) if they have somebody like Trump championing their cause. 

I think if most of the best golfers end up on Liv - which is not yet the case but the gap is closing - most golf fans will ultimately follow, even if it takes years.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chspeed said:

Me neither.

But as tweet above said, this is indeed a big loss for PGA and a big victory for LIV. All the other top players recruited are in the afternoon (or twilight) of their careers. He's arguably on his way up (#2) and is among the world's best putters right now.

I don't think it was as big a loss for the PGATour as the denial of the TRO was for the LIV players.

6 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

This is exactly what I was thinking when the news came down. Why wouldn't other players follow this same path. Why bail on the Pga tour in the middle of season? 

They want their LIV money and they want it NOW.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

1 hour ago, Darkfrog said:

Maybe Phil Mickelson had this. Now that Bryson, Brooks, and DJ are not on the PGA Tour, they have basically slipped out of existence for me.

When I saw a picture of Phil a week ago, the thought that initially went through my mind was that “he used to play golf.”

6 minutes ago, Moxley said:

I think if most of the best golfers end up on Liv - which is not yet the case but the gap is closing - most golf fans will ultimately follow, even if it takes years.  

Or some of us will stop watching it altogether, except for the majors.

• Thumbs Up 2

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4