IGNORED

LIV Golf (Saudi PIF), "Mergers," and More

iacas

I was having a debate last week with a fellow golfer about who from the past might have been willing join a rival golf tour like LIV from the past. We brought up the top 20 golfers in 2000 and debated on who we thought would join 'LIV' at that time. Of course there is no clear answer to this, but it was a spirited debate. I wonder what everyone he would think.

1. Tiger Woods, United States, 29.40
2. Ernie Els, South Africa, 11.65
3. David Duval, United States, 11.20
4. Phil Mickelson, United States, 11.07
5. Lee Westwood, England, 9.46
6. Colin Montgomerie, Scotland, 8.34
7. Davis Love III, United States, 7.88
8. Hal Sutton, United States, 7.71
9. Vijay Singh, Fiji, 7.17
10. Tom Lehman, United States, 7.10
11. Jesper Parnevik, Sweden, 6.96
12. Darren Clarke, Northern Ireland, 6.77
13. Nick Price, Zimbabwe, 6.29
14. Michael Campbell, New Zealand, 5.87
15. Jim Furyk, United States, 5.76
16. Sergio Garcia, Spain, 5.67
17. Stewart Cink, United States, 5.30
18. Justin Leonard, United States, 5.22
19. John Huston, United States, 5.05
20. Thomas Bjorn, Denmark, 5.03

The one that stuck out to me was Colin Montgomerie and Vijay Singh. I am not certain Lee Westwood would have been willing to do it at the peak of his career, as he is now, but that is an interesting discussion. Nick Price, Michael Campbell and Thomas Bjorn were all in the yes column for me. Jesper is probably a strong candidate to say yes. 

What does everyone else think?

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 minutes ago, mchepp said:

I was having a debate last week with a fellow golfer about who from the past might have been willing join a rival golf tour like LIV from the past. We brought up the top 20 golfers in 2000 and debated on who we thought would join 'LIV' at that time. Of course there is no clear answer to this, but it was a spirited debate. I wonder what everyone he would think.

1. Tiger Woods, United States, 29.40
2. Ernie Els, South Africa, 11.65
3. David Duval, United States, 11.20
4. Phil Mickelson, United States, 11.07
5. Lee Westwood, England, 9.46
6. Colin Montgomerie, Scotland, 8.34
7. Davis Love III, United States, 7.88
8. Hal Sutton, United States, 7.71
9. Vijay Singh, Fiji, 7.17
10. Tom Lehman, United States, 7.10
11. Jesper Parnevik, Sweden, 6.96
12. Darren Clarke, Northern Ireland, 6.77
13. Nick Price, Zimbabwe, 6.29
14. Michael Campbell, New Zealand, 5.87
15. Jim Furyk, United States, 5.76
16. Sergio Garcia, Spain, 5.67
17. Stewart Cink, United States, 5.30
18. Justin Leonard, United States, 5.22
19. John Huston, United States, 5.05
20. Thomas Bjorn, Denmark, 5.03

The one that stuck out to me was Colin Montgomerie and Vijay Singh. I am not certain Lee Westwood would have been willing to do it at the peak of his career, as he is now, but that is an interesting discussion. Nick Price, Michael Campbell and Thomas Bjorn were all in the yes column for me. Jesper is probably a strong candidate to say yes. 

What does everyone else think?

Nick Price said no to Norman in the 1990s.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/history-repeating-itself-30-years-later-greg-norman-still-challenging-most-powerful-men-golf

• Informative 3

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

So LIV is having a tournament at my other ‘home course’ Orange County National. March 31st. They’re building several structures and getting prepped. I didn’t even know this until I asked yesterday what’s up with the new buildings. @DaveP043…did you know they were playing here?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

So LIV is having a tournament at my other ‘home course’ Orange County National. March 31st. They’re building several structures and getting prepped. I didn’t even know this until I asked yesterday what’s up with the new buildings. @DaveP043…did you know they were playing here?

Yeah, I looked at the schedule when it first came out, I noticed OCN was on the list.  They're also playing about 6 miles from my home, at Trump Washington DC (in Sterling VA).  I got to play OCN when I was there a few years ago, and I get to play at Trump one a year or every other year as part of our local inter-club league. I might go see the event here, just to discover what the on-course experience is like.  I watched maybe 20 minutes a couple weeks back, and I wasn't impressed with the CW presentation.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Seems to be a lot of LIV haters here.  I have to disagree.  I watched most LIV events last year on YouTube, and this year's opening event using the LIV Plus app on my Amazon Firestick. 

The coverage of LIV is much more enjoyable to watch than the network PGA Tour event.  LIV shows about 5 times the number of golf shots, without commercials, or sponsor interviews.  I can't watch PGAT events without recording to a DVR and wearing out the 'skip' button.  I hope that competition from LIV forces networks and PGAT to improve their product,  Coverage of the majors is much more watchable.  PGAT should learn from them.  Although, given the big bucks spent on PGAT television contracts, loading them up with commercials is the only answer.

I'm a fan of both tours, so I ignore the mud-slinging from both camps.  Golf should be for the fans.  The best entertainment product possible.  The emergence of competition can only help with this.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, BlueRidgePro said:

LIV shows about 5 times the number of golf shots, without commercials, or sponsor interviews.

LIV shows commercials now, and they didn't last year because they had no sponsors or commercial (interest).

5 minutes ago, BlueRidgePro said:

I'm a fan of both tours, so I ignore the mud-slinging from both camps.  Golf should be for the fans.  The best entertainment product possible.  The emergence of competition can only help with this.

Who cares who funds it or what their actual goals may be, amirite?

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, BlueRidgePro said:

The coverage of LIV is much more enjoyable to watch than the network PGA Tour event

If you honestly preferred watching CH111 battle an easy 4 shot lead over Peter Ulhein to a five way tie with Spieth, Rory, Scheffler, Cantlay, Hatton all in contention at the Arnold Palmer..with an up and coming rookie winning his first after coming back from a triple bogey at #9, I don’t know what to tell ya bro……

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

8 hours ago, Vinsk said:

If you honestly preferred watching CH111 battle an easy 4 shot lead over Peter Ulhein to a five way tie with Spieth, Rory, Scheffler, Cantlay, Hatton all in contention at the Arnold Palmer..with an up and coming rookie winning his first after coming back from a triple bogey at #9, I don’t know what to tell ya bro……

Agree. That was a terrific finish at Bay Hill. I thought Kitayama was so clutch in the last two holes. It did look like he was going to literally puke before that last putt. Plus there was 7-8 players with a chance to win in the last 5 holes. Great tournament.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Agree. That was a terrific finish at Bay Hill. I thought Kitayama was so clutch in the last two holes. It did look like he was going to literally puke before that last putt. Plus there was 7-8 players with a chance to win in the last 5 holes. Great tournament.

Absolutely. Amazing perseverance by Kitayama. That triple would’ve sent me off the rails. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, iacas said:

LIV shows commercials now, and they didn't last year because they had no sponsors or commercial (interest).

Who cares who funds it or what their actual goals may be, amirite?

No commercials on the LIV Plus app.  

Youarerite

14 hours ago, BlueRidgePro said:

The best entertainment product possible.  The emergence of competition can only help with this.

How'd that work out for boxing?

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, BlueRidgePro said:

Youarerite

Yeah, sorry, but no. I care who funds the LIV Tour, and I'm not down with it.

Cool that you got to watch meaningless golf, exhibition golf. Glad you enjoy it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

41 minutes ago, BlueRidgePro said:

Youarerite

Lol! Ok. I guess you’ve given up on any major sport presentations if that’s your deciding factor. The Arnold Palmer also had ‘play through’ commercials. But I get it. Not missing a second of the LIV announcers squealing in forced excitement over CHIII cruising to an easy win must’ve been exhilarating!

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, BlueRidgePro said:

Youarerite

Are there any other sports leagues that you'd like to see sponsored by a government with unlimited finances so they can threaten private enterprise? 

• Funny 1

13 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

sponsored by a government

It makes a difference.   Aussies, no problem - Saudis, ya a problem.   Sport washing is real.  

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Greg Norman might be out of LIV?

greg-norman-liv-may-2022_1.jpg

Golf fans have been speculating about the future of Greg Norman after the Aussie removed any mention of LIV Golf in his Twitter biography.

This is of course after ruining Cam Smith's career:

AA18npSp.img?h=630&w=1200&m=6&q=60&o=t&l

You've really got to hand it to Greg Norman. The guy is great at stealing the spotlight, even when it's for something bad.
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Greg Norman might be out of LIV?

greg-norman-liv-may-2022_1.jpg

Golf fans have been speculating about the future of Greg...

This is of course after ruining Cam Smith's career:

AA18npSp.img?h=630&w=1200&m=6&q=60&o=t&l

You've really got to hand it to Greg Norman. The guy is...

Maybe Greg will be invited to a private meeting at a Saudi consulate 😂

• Funny 2