IGNORED

What would you do? Wait or jump the tee?

Sandy Lie
Note: This thread is 1488 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This has happened twice recently on the same course.  The course is crowded, guest and Members. Guests typically get the first 1-2 hours of tee times.  Our group had the first Member time.  We are following 4 guys and having watched them tee off on the 1st hole you would expect an average pace of play.  Well, that lasted about two holes. Now they were walking and our group was 2 walking and 2 riding.  So we soon began to see the group in front slow as some of their shots were going wide and hunting for the ball took some time. By the 6th hole they fell behind a full hole. Groups behind us were stacking up. 

So here’s the question, at the 9th hole is a halfway house. We finished 8 and the 9th tee box was empty, just the bags were there as the players were getting food and drink. Would you jump in front?  I asked the guys to go let’s not wait.  The other walker in the group said sure.  The riders were slow to respond..so our window of playing thru closed quickly as the other group began to emerge from the halfway house.  The window was about 8 minutes, we could have been halfway down the fairway.  So there were stood waiting, long enough for the group behind us to show up just as the group was teeing off.  The whole back nine was super slow. We were on their tails the whole way.  They eventually fell two whole behind the group in front of them.  And of course the 2 other guys in our group complained the rest of the round about waiting every hole.  You had your chance guys I said.

A week ago we did jump the tee and everything thing was fine. The group we jumped in front of never knew.

Our group will alway jump ahead if the tee is empty. Even if the other players bags are there. Never had a problem from the absent group. . 

It's called "ready golf" for a reason. We are ready, they are not. It's not much different than playing through, via implied consent. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Guests more than a hole behind on number 6 and then were looking for balls after that.

I have never encountered such a situation but I'd be inclined to inform them that they were a hole and a half behind and rather than rush them eating their corn dog, we'll go ahead to take relieve some of the log jam behind.  Smile.  Walk right to the tee.

I had a similar situation where we got waved up on a par 3.  We were a threesome.  Two holes open ahead of us.  We all hit it stiff (it was only 145 yards) and the other group were still in the bunkers, etc.  We just putted out (3 birds) and went to the next tee.  No words said.  Until we teed off.  One of my buddies, said....that was f'ng awesome.  Usually you just pull your hair out as a 20 hcp jerks around with their laser or gps, goes back for another club just to shank or chili dip it.

If it is at the club house, I will pass the group if they aren't on the tee.  If it is in-between the course and the people are sitting at a beverage point on the course, I will ask them.  Have done both multiple times.

I have even cut ahead a couple of holes if the group/groups in front of me are very slow and they won't let me pass

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

1 hour ago, Sandy Lie said:

This has happened twice recently on the same course.  The course is crowded, guest and Members. Guests typically get the first 1-2 hours of tee times.  Our group had the first Member time.  We are following 4 guys and having watched them tee off on the 1st hole you would expect an average pace of play.  Well, that lasted about two holes. Now they were walking and our group was 2 walking and 2 riding.  So we soon began to see the group in front slow as some of their shots were going wide and hunting for the ball took some time. By the 6th hole they fell behind a full hole. Groups behind us were stacking up. 

So here’s the question, at the 9th hole is a halfway house. We finished 8 and the 9th tee box was empty, just the bags were there as the players were getting food and drink. Would you jump in front?  I asked the guys to go let’s not wait.  The other walker in the group said sure.  The riders were slow to respond..so our window of playing thru closed quickly as the other group began to emerge from the halfway house.  The window was about 8 minutes, we could have been halfway down the fairway.  So there were stood waiting, long enough for the group behind us to show up just as the group was teeing off.  The whole back nine was super slow. We were on their tails the whole way.  They eventually fell two whole behind the group in front of them.  And of course the 2 other guys in our group complained the rest of the round about waiting every hole.  You had your chance guys I said.

A week ago we did jump the tee and everything thing was fine. The group we jumped in front of never knew.

A lot of courses say you lose your place if you stop at the halfway house for polish sausage sandwiches.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

A lot of courses say you lose your place if you stop at the halfway house for polish sausage sandwiches.

What about the grilled chicken wrap?

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

We jump when there is clear sailing ahead.  If it just means waiting behind another slow group...we stay put and accept reality.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

49 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

What about the grilled chicken wrap?

Lol! Classic Scott....classic.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 minute ago, Vinsk said:

Lol! Classic Scott....classic.

A few years ago I played with a few guys... two of them would always stop at the turn for a grilled polish dog.  They'd shoot 37... 38 on the front.  On the back, with the polish dog in their gut, they were good for a 43 to 45.

6 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

A few years ago I played with a few guys... two of them would always stop at the turn for a grilled polish dog.  They'd shoot 37... 38 on the front.  On the back, with the polish dog in their gut, they were good for a 43 to 45.

I bet their 10th hole tee shots were interesting....

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Depends how many people are in my group and how we’re playing. If I’m a single or playing with somebody (as in one other person), I’ll probably jump in front of them no matter how I’m playing. For a three- or foursome, it’s questionable.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

18 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

They should have had bratwurst. I ate bratwurst after the 9th hole at our last NE staff outing and shot even par over the next five holes. It was delicious, too.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

The course I mostly play has a land-line phone on the 9th tee.  (What the hell is a land-line phone???)  You can call in your lunch order and pick it up as you turn.

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

They should have had bratwurst. I ate bratwurst after the 9th hole at our last NE staff outing and shot even par over the next five holes. It was delicious, too.

You are the exception to the roll... the roll with the bratwurst on it...

Unless they're walking to the tee box when I get there, I'd jump them without question. 

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

If the tee box is open and the hole is open, we’re going.

Your proper position on the golf course is directly behind the group in front of you, not directly in front of the group behind you.  And certainly not in the grill while the group behind you waits on your sorry ass!

Why are guests sent out ahead of members?  I’m assuming it’s some kind of daily fee course that also offers a membership option?

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 1488 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!