IGNORED

Has COVID-19 Affected Your Golf?

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 1492 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

From the Florida State Golf Association yesterday regarding the posting of scores.

f54c5787-b6e4-4c04-af00-2f442a32dce8.png

Good evening,

In this time of uncertainty brought on by the COVID-19 virus, many clubs have closed their restaurants, club houses or even their entire facility.  However, we do have many that remain open and have made concessions on when and how a ball is considered holed or how commonly touched items like rakes and flagsticks are removed or forbidden to touch to keep their clubs open.

In the last several days, the most common question to our staff has been, "Do we or how do we post this score?"

A statement has just been released by the USGA, which can be found in the links below, on how golfers should post their scores when your club has made these types of changes to keep them safe from spreading COVID-19.

Rules and Handicapping Guidance During COVID-19 Era

COVID-19 Rules and Handicapping FAQs

The Rules of Handicapping for a most likely score are not as liberal as they were under the USGA Handicap System. Under the Rules of Handicapping based on the format of play a hole may not be completed, thus the player would use the most likely score.

But, due to COVID-19 we are allowing for a temporary expanded use of most likely score. Since we do not know if the golfer will pick up their ball once they are close to the hole or if they will try to putt to the hole with the cup liner above the hole (or other forms of safety clubs have implemented), we are asking the golfer to use their best judgement and post their most likely score.

This is NOT currently in the Rules of Handicapping, but instead an adaptation being permitted for a temporary period in time to help with the current health concerns.

We have also created a resource page on our website to send your golfers to if they have questions as to why they can post.

Everyone stay safe!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Rkrider99 said:

From the Florida State Golf Association yesterday regarding the posting of scores.

• If the player hits the raised cup so hard that it is unlikely that the stroke would have gone into a normal cup, then one additional stroke should be added to the hole for that player.
  • A ball just barely hitting the edge of a raised cup, that would likely not have gone into a normal cup - the player should add an additional stroke for posting.

I wonder how many will overlook those two statements? They will argue its a judgement call. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:scotty_cameron: Newport Select 2 (2022 model) 

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

Absolutely it has affected my golf.  One of the leagues I belong to has an annual tournament in Nevada every year in April.  But we had to cancel this year as, while the courses are open and in business, all the hotels and restaurants are closed.  Also because no gathering larger than 10 are allowed the following award banquet is impossible.

As to the local game we still play, but no shotgun starts are allowed and the courses' cafes are closed so no award lunch after the round, just go home. 

So the golf experience social aspects are somewhat eliminated, but we still play, so far anyway.

Butch

My club is closed.  The flagsticks weren't in yet anyway, but now I can't even go there for lunch or to hang out with my friends.

As I'm in the alleged high risk group, my wife won't let me out of the house except to walk the dog, and only then with stern warnings about "social distancing."

The only good thing is that she does the grocery shopping now, which is kind of awkward as I do the cooking and have to figure out how to cook whatever she buys.

Our supermarket now has special hours for seniors only, 5 to 7 AM three days a week, to minimize our exposure.

This virus thing isn't exactly what we were looking for at this stage of life.

I got new clubs this winter; now I want to play, but who knows?

Ping G430 Max....3, 5, 7, 9-woods (Alta CB Black 65);  Callaway Apex UT...driving iron (Aerotech i95);
Titleist T-100...5-9 (Aerotech i95);  Edel C Grind...48, 54° (Aerotech i95};
Edel P Grind...60° (Aerotech i95);  Ping DS-72...putter; Titleist Pro V1x...ball

My home course just closed 🤯. Was hoping to get in one more round tomorrow before everything got shut down but it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen now.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

5 minutes ago, jetsknicks1 said:

My home course just closed 🤯. Was hoping to get in one more round tomorrow before everything got shut down but it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen now.

At least you got to play all winter, jetsknicks.

I haven't played since mid-October.

Let's hope we both get to play reasonably soon.

Ping G430 Max....3, 5, 7, 9-woods (Alta CB Black 65);  Callaway Apex UT...driving iron (Aerotech i95);
Edel P Grind...60° (Aerotech i95);  Ping DS-72...putter; Titleist Pro V1x...ball

New York State golf courses, e.g., Bethpage and Sunken Meadow here on Long Island are still open, reservations only, (no walk ups), and they are asking people to use credit cards versus exchanging cash. Never though about the virus being spread by the handling of cash but I guess it can be.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, cooke119 said:

New York State golf courses, e.g., Bethpage and Sunken Meadow here on Long Island are still open, reservations only, (no walk ups), and they are asking people to use credit cards versus exchanging cash. Never though about the virus being spread by the handling of cash but I guess it can be.

I thought that Governor Cuomo imposed a stay home order.

It hasn't come to a quarantine in WA yet. I can still go play. I'll walk 9 to get out in the sunshine and fresh air. No bunker rakes. No ball washers. It's lift and clean season anyway. They turned the cups over so you don't have to reach down inside the hole. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

On 3/18/2020 at 12:21 PM, No Mulligans said:

But it's fine to stick your hand in the petri dish, I mean the golf cup?

golf-cup11.jpg

In an effort to keep sane and avoid unwanted germs, this genius superintendent at a Connecticut golf course has a bright idea.

I just stated what is happening around where I live.  Not saying it is safe, just telling it like it is for now. 

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Still dont know how courses will be impacted in Saskatchewan but any indoor hitting areas are closed so no practise for probably the next 2-3 weeks... 

3 hours ago, RickK said:

I just stated what is happening around where I live.  Not saying it is safe, just telling it like it is for now. 

After one day of the raised cup nonsense, my club went to a piece of “pool noodle” with the flagstaff through the hole.  It’s cut so that it’s just below the surface of the pin.  It works great...

87° here and sunny.

If they close the course, you may see me on the 11:00 news...  :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

26 minutes ago, David in FL said:

After one day of the raised cup nonsense, my club went to a piece of “pool noodle” with the flagstaff through the hole.  It’s cut so that it’s just below the surface of the pin.  It works great...

87° here and sunny.

I had a hole-in-one today but the ball bounced off the pool noodle...

(edited)

We've seen reporting that 7 states are in complete lock down.    California, New York, Illinois, Nevada,  New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Connecticut, no?

The big bridges around Michigan, Mackinaw and Windsor, have eliminated cash also.   Credit cards only.

Edited by dennyjones

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

We've seen reporting that 7 states are in complete lock down.    California, New York, Illinois, Nevada,  New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Connecticut, no?

For a broad definition of “complete lockdown”… maybe.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, David in FL said:

I hope this happens, and I hope its solitary confinement so you can't infect others like you have been the last week.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Note: This thread is 1492 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!