IGNORED

Is Golf Available Where You Live? (COVID-19 Edition)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1152 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

COVID-19 and Golf  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Are golf courses near you open for play? (Please change your vote as the situation changes.)

• Almost all are open.
    • Some golf courses are still open for play.
    • No golf courses near me are open for play due to COVID-19.
  2. 2. What modifications have golf courses that are open for play made? Select all that apply.

• Limited restaurant/pro shop/clubhouse access.
    • No indoor access at all.
    • Removed ball washers and/or rakes from the course.
    • Tee times spaced further apart.
    • Carts limited to single riders.
    • No carts at all - walking only.
    • Raised cups or foam or PVC inserts to minimize contact with the flagstick/hole.
    • Plentiful hand sanitizer solutions.
    • Only members can play - course is closed to guests.
    • Contact reduced or eliminated - payments handled solely online or by phone.
    • Modifications to group size - twosomes only, threesomes only, family members only, etc.
    • Course is closed.

8 hours ago, Mr22putt said:

Huh....WTF????....time to trade her in for a new model....marry a Korean woman...they are addicted to golf.....lol.

Double WTF??? I play golf to get away from my wife. I don't need her nagging me about my backswing too!!!

• Like 2

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Mayor of Indianapolis extended the stay at home order to 5/15/20 but is allowing golf courses around Indy to open. I will be playing at Arrowhead Golf Course in greenfield, IN tomorrow with my oldest son. Can't wait!

• Like 1

-- Robert

In my bag: :ping:  G400 (10.5 degrees) | :callaway: Diablo Edge 5 Wood |:callaway: X-Hot 3 Hybrid | spacer.png 4 - PW Hybrid D350 Combo | :vokey:SM4 50, SM5 58, SM6 54 & 56 Wedges | :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 | :bushnell: Tour V4 Rangefinder | :bagboy:Defender Cart Bag

9 hours ago, Mr22putt said:

marry a Korean woman...they are addicted to golf.....

You keep bringing up this stereotype... it’s getting old, man.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

11 hours ago, Mr22putt said:

Huh....WTF????....time to trade her in for a new model....marry a Korean woman...they are addicted to golf.....lol.

My wife doesn't golf anymore...but I use to always enjoy playing golf with her....she also encouraged me to play if I was guilty to play twice on the weekends.....she also has never told me what or how to spend money...including golf...heck she even told me to quit being a cheap a** and get some custom fitted clubs.

I may be in love with your wife.

3 hours ago, Cartboy said:

By South Florida do you mean Southeast Florida?  It has been hit extremely hard by the virus, so things are more restrictive than other areas of Florida.

I tried to share a link to the Florida COVID map, but it didn't like it.

I don't believe any courses closed in our neck o' the swamp.

A third type . . . those who "get" it, but are not obsessed.

😷

{checks location under avatar} I'm in West Boca Raton.  We (perhaps arrogantly) refer to everything south of Jupiter as South Florida.  Then there is the Everglades. The other side of the peninsula as Southwest Florida.

12 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

I may be in love with your wife.

LOL...she spends too much money....she encouraged me to play more when I was working...even though I would be playing 60-80 times a year....I'm now retired.

Love your avatar....Don Knotts is too funny....Shakiest Gun in the West and Mr. Limpet are some of my favs.

5 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

I'm in West Boca Raton.  We (perhaps arrogantly) refer to everything south of Jupiter as South Florida.  Then there is the Everglades. The other side of the peninsula as Southwest Florida.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis announced Wednesday that the state would begin lifting coronavirus restrictions for some businesses everywhere but Broward, Miami-Dade and Palm Beach counties, which have been particularly hard hit by the virus.

Boca Raton - 434 cases

I played today at a distant course where nothing has changed from last year.   It was too wet for carts on the fairways but carts were available and I saw several with 2 people / cart.  (carts aren't allow currently in Michigan).  There were no modifications to the cups/pins.    Play was slow because they let people off of the back just before I made the turn as a solo.   They didn't let me play through but the course is designed so I could play holes out of order and come back to make them up later.   I played 2 1/2 holes to the slow groups 1 hole!    I finished in 3 hours.   Regardless, it was just great to be out in whatever sun we get and be on the golf course one more time.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

NM just opened up all golf courses today. My club won’t be officially open until next Tuesday but I played 18 today and saw many familiar faces. It’s nice to be out again and take the club back from non-members who’d been sneaking in to play the last few weeks!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cartboy said:

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis announced Wednesday that the state would begin lifting coronavirus restrictions for some businesses everywhere but Broward, Miami-Dade and Palm Beach counties, which have been particularly hard hit by the virus.

Boca Raton - 434 cases

This is a bit cryptic, but I am going to treat it as a question.  That executive order leaves our mayors to make their own decisions.

We are now allowed (from a Thursday) to play on every course in the country. The borders are still closed so no going abroad for the foreseeable future. 

I played 27 holes on Thursday and if all goes to plan I will play at least 4 times next week. After that I will probably be allowed to work again so I won’t be playing more than once or twice a month after that...

On 4/30/2020 at 6:17 PM, billchao said:

The courses I looked at using the GolfNow system have zero tee times available any day. Not even a single 6:00PM twilight round. Doesn’t make sense.

Everything is being done online at my main course, where there are still reduced prices.  For tomorrow on Golfnow there are 44 tee times available.

It is a top-ranked course, #1 in the state by Golfweek for nine years running, #2 last year.

At my other course where I pay membership fees, they are back to full price, and doing 20 minute tee times.  That has not made it hard to get one; only five of them have been taken for tomorrow.

It is also a top-ranked course, #6 in the state by Golfweek.

6 hours ago, Cartboy said:

Everything is being done online at my main course, where there are still reduced prices.  For tomorrow on Golfnow there are 44 tee times available.I

Just about every course here has sold out tee sheets and some courses are price gouging and many/all won't accept golf discount coupons i have.

9 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

Just about every course here has sold out tee sheets and some courses are price gouging and many/all won't accept golf discount coupons i have.

There comes a time where ya just gotta pay full price...  suck it up and pull out the big wallet, or the credit card with a big limit... 😃

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

There comes a time where ya just gotta pay full price...  suck it up and pull out the big wallet, or the credit card with a big limit... 😃

No money no honey no talk.😃

21 hours ago, FlyingAce said:

NM just opened up all golf courses today. My club won’t be officially open until next Tuesday but I played 18 today and saw many familiar faces. It’s nice to be out again and take the club back from non-members who’d been sneaking in to play the last few weeks!

Ace:

Are these the same familiar faces who won't ask you to play golf?.....I guess social distancing isn't a problem playing as a single.....lol.

How has your game been after the layoff?.....my game continues to be a complete SHAM/FRUAD.....except for my driver...which has always been a strength.......I'm also being a mental midget too.

11 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

When you're playing CLOWN golf like I am these days...ya don't wanna pay rack rates.....nuff said.

Just now, Mr22putt said:

When you're playing CLOWN golf like I am these days...ya don't wanna pay rack rates.....nuff said.

A few years ago we had GolfNow at about 7-8 of the courses in our county.  Turns out they were being used by regulars who were scamming the system over and over for cheap rounds when GolfNow had promised operators that it would drive new business to their courses.  The head pros got together to form a consortium (probably illegal) and booted GolfNow out of town.  There is only one GolfNow course left and they are in the next county south.

52 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

There comes a time where ya just gotta pay full price...  suck it up

Yea, this. My county courses have enabled prepaid tee times online, but the system is unable to pay online with a gift card. The only way to do that is to call a pro shop and have someone put the card number in for me, which runs the risk of losing the tee time I wanted to someone else in the time it takes to get someone on the phone and onto the system.

I purchased a gift card late last year with the plan to use it all through this year, but am unable to realistically use it. I have resigned myself to paying for my rounds by credit card to ensure I get the tee time I want. The gift card won't expire anyway, so it will get used at some point.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

31 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

A few years ago we had GolfNow at about 7-8 of the courses in our county.  Turns out they were being used by regulars who were scamming the system over and over for cheap rounds when GolfNow had promised operators that it would drive new business to their courses.  The head pros got together to form a consortium (probably illegal) and booted GolfNow out of town.  There is only one GolfNow course left and they are in the next county south.

We got rid of golfnow because they simply didn’t drive the business they thought they could, especially at the price they were asking for. Eventually we talked to the people who bought those tee times and offered them the same price but buy through us not golfnow. If you don’t use the applications/programs golfnow gives in return and the people who use it don’t spend any extra money at the course, then it doesn’t do any good to have them. Their reps were persistent too to try to get us back. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Note: This thread is 1152 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!