IGNORED

Is Golf Available Where You Live? (COVID-19 Edition)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

COVID-19 and Golf  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Are golf courses near you open for play? (Please change your vote as the situation changes.)

• Almost all are open.
    • Some golf courses are still open for play.
    • No golf courses near me are open for play due to COVID-19.
  2. 2. What modifications have golf courses that are open for play made? Select all that apply.

• Limited restaurant/pro shop/clubhouse access.
    • No indoor access at all.
    • Removed ball washers and/or rakes from the course.
    • Tee times spaced further apart.
    • Carts limited to single riders.
    • No carts at all - walking only.
    • Raised cups or foam or PVC inserts to minimize contact with the flagstick/hole.
    • Plentiful hand sanitizer solutions.
    • Only members can play - course is closed to guests.
    • Contact reduced or eliminated - payments handled solely online or by phone.
    • Modifications to group size - twosomes only, threesomes only, family members only, etc.
    • Course is closed.

Most courses around me have closed, but some are still open. It appears that most city run courses are closed at this point, but courses that are privately run or run by a recreation district (as opposed to a city) are still open.

I expect all courses to close by the end of the week.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 minutes ago, iacas said:

Right. I mostly want to see a ball flying through the air, ideally after being hit off grass.

I just called Homestead GC, and they plan to stay open unless mandated. The boss allows me some flexibility in my schedule, so...

3 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

The Michigan governor shut down all non-essential business which includes golf courses.

I get that it is "non-essential" to some, but the risk of transmitting disease is VERY low IMO.

Added: So come on down to Ohio. 😉

Edited by CarlSpackler
Added commentary
  • Like 1

- Shane

24 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I agree that golf can be played while maintaining distance and is a healthy way to stay sane and get some fresh air.

I'm already losing my sanity.  Courses and ranges closed this morning.  Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

The Michigan governor shut down all non-essential business which includes golf courses.

Many states with similar shutdowns are excluding golf courses and allowing them to remain open. Start pressuring your representatives now.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I just called Homestead GC, and they plan to stay open unless mandated. The boss allows me some flexibility in my schedule, so...

Nice. 

With the deadline pushed back, I should get back a day off this weekend. Now I got a place to go.

The golf courses around here have turned the cups upside down. This works really well. A reasonably paced putt hits the anchor of the flagstick and kind of pops right back out of the hole. When a putt is paced so that it just falls over the lip, half or more of its circumference remains above the ground. After playing 18 holes it was really easy to tell when a ball lipped out or sank and no contact was made with the flagstick or cup. 

Edited by Sean_D

21 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Added: So come on down to Ohio. 😉

It's not like I don't have time!  

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Hell we still have ice cream trucks rolling around here......

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Our course on Vancouver Island was open until yesterday with all the usual precautions (cups raised, no ball washers, rakes etc) but now BC golf recommended closing so our course closed early yesterday. All the other nearby courses had already closed.  Going to be a tough stretch but lot's of garden work etc to keep me busy, plus I have a project car that I need to work on.  We do need to get a lid on this virus so probably for the best.

I just emailed the Michigan governor asking her to consider making the golf courses exempt from the lock down.

• Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

6 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I just emailed the Michigan governor asking her to consider making the golf courses exempt from the lock down.

Thanks for giving her a little nudge.

GAM's website indicates the state's association, Michigan Golf Alliance, has sought clarification on two items.  They are:

1. Allowing courses to perform needed spring time maintenance

2. Allowing outdoor golf with proper safeguards

As of noon, there had been no clarification.  In the governor's defense, a lot of organizations are seeking clarifications.

Brian Kuehn

16 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Hell we still have ice cream trucks rolling around here......

One was cruising my hood last night when I was out for a walk. It was barley 40*, and there goes a dang ice cream truck. 🙄

- Shane

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

1. Allowing courses to perform needed spring time maintenance.

Almost surely allowed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

In Sask and still dont know with the handicap season being about 20 days away. There is a muni course that always let's people walk on free and shoot at temp greens in the time between the show melt and official opening so I will have that at least.

Edited by cutchemist42

12 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

1. Allowing courses to perform needed spring time maintenance

2. Allowing outdoor golf with proper safeguards

Maintenance is allowed in Ca as part of the maintaining assets exception for workers, I was told this by my nephew who is still working as the head of course maintenance at the Sonoma Country Club

Golf not allowed in CA.  At least in my opinion, it's a non essential business under the state definitions.  However, I do know of one course in Palm Springs that emailed me that they are staying open,  I don't know of any courses in San Diego that are open.

I think it would be best to wait several weeks before considering to open courses. Who knows what it will be like in three weeks.  If I can play, I would only play as a single or a twosome with my wife, i.e, I don't want to be paired up.  I doubt the courses are going to allow that.

Edited by No Mulligans

Just now, iacas said:

Almost surely allowed.

Agree, but the initial order doesn't allow many businesses to operate. For example, a home builder can't start a home, regardless of social distancing measures.

A real concern is municipal/county courses.  Most governmental entities in the Mitten sent everyone home except essential employees.  City hall probably doesn't consider fertilizing and grass cutting as essential.

Brian Kuehn

Note: This thread is 1149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!