IGNORED

Is Golf Available Where You Live? (COVID-19 Edition)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1152 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

COVID-19 and Golf  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Are golf courses near you open for play? (Please change your vote as the situation changes.)

• Almost all are open.
    • Some golf courses are still open for play.
    • No golf courses near me are open for play due to COVID-19.
  2. 2. What modifications have golf courses that are open for play made? Select all that apply.

• Limited restaurant/pro shop/clubhouse access.
    • No indoor access at all.
    • Removed ball washers and/or rakes from the course.
    • Tee times spaced further apart.
    • Carts limited to single riders.
    • No carts at all - walking only.
    • Raised cups or foam or PVC inserts to minimize contact with the flagstick/hole.
    • Plentiful hand sanitizer solutions.
    • Only members can play - course is closed to guests.
    • Contact reduced or eliminated - payments handled solely online or by phone.
    • Modifications to group size - twosomes only, threesomes only, family members only, etc.
    • Course is closed.

• Administrator
Just now, CarlSpackler said:

I can't think of a reason that rubber gloves would be needed on the course. It's not like you put some on to use a bunker rake and then toss the gloves. I mean, that would work if there were rakes out there. People are wearing these gloves for hours if not days. They were meant to be used for a task like evaluating a patient and then discarded. It's not like you contract this through your skin.

They may have been left by workers. Or maybe someone from the Board of Health was out there. Or the guy cleaning the carts left them in there accidentally and someone threw them out on the course (or they blew out of the cart). Many reasons why you could have gloves on a course.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

It's been nice knowing you...

Come to think of it, I am feeling kinda ill.... Oh no.....

giphy.gif.b45a9395a497819b4ed92131b5dde7c7.gif

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Just now, iacas said:

They may have been left by workers. Or maybe someone from the Board of Health was out there. Or the guy cleaning the carts left them in there accidentally and someone threw them out on the course (or they blew out of the cart). Many reasons why you could have gloves on a course.

Could be. I am guessing they were tossed by a golfer though, but that is pure speculation on my part. I just hate seeing these things all over the place. Use the gloves and then discard them in a (hazardous?) waste container people. On another note, we noticed several wads of chewing gum on the ground next to tee boxes. There is higher risk of picking up da rona from touching that since it is covered with someone's saliva. Perhaps if people didn't do stupid 💩 like this, we wouldn't need all of these rules and guidelines. 🤦‍♂️

- Shane

20 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I can't think of a reason that rubber gloves would be needed on the course. It's not like you put some on to use a bunker rake and then toss the gloves. I mean, that would work if there were rakes out there. People are wearing these gloves for hours if not days. They were meant to be used for a task like evaluating a patient and then discarded. It's not like you contract this through your skin.

I would sooner pick up a pair of gloves on the course than a lost TopFlite golf ball...

8 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Perhaps if people didn't do stupid 💩 like this, we wouldn't need all of these rules and guidelines. 🤦‍♂️

The only reason throughout history that there are laws and ordinances is because some (very few uncaring, unthinking idiots) do stupid shit like this.  I try to explain this to my son when he comes across a law he thinks doesn't pertain to him.

If everyone used common sense and good judgement there would be no laws... and no lawyers.  Sorry Ron...

Edited by Double Mocha Man

Hey guys, dumb question here, but restrictions in place have all rakes for sand traps removed.  Does this mean if we hit it into the sand, we should drop it somewhere outside the sand to hit?  I'd imagine the sand traps would be in horrid shape otherwise.

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, Effington said:

Hey guys, dumb question here, but restrictions in place have all rakes for sand traps removed.  Does this mean if we hit it into the sand, we should drop it somewhere outside the sand to hit?  I'd imagine the sand traps would be in horrid shape otherwise.

Just play it.

Or lift clean and place in the bunker.

Almost nobody will endorse just taking it out of the bunker(s). The maintenance crew is still maintaining them.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I actually ran out of water playing 9 holes and was super thirsty going into the 7th. Going to have to bring to 2 water bottles as it gets hotter. I would imagine 18 would require 4 bottles, maybe even 5. That's a lot of water. It is what it is.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Our Governor has announced a further loosening of restrictions.  Of specific interest to the golf course owners as well as many golfers was whether the One Person Per Cart rule was discontinued.  Someone in the Governor's office said yes, two people are now allowed in a cart in MI.

I find it hard to believe that it is recommended or required to wear masks indoors but it is okay to sit six inches from a stranger for four hours.  Yes, it is sort of outdoors but hardly six feet of social distancing.  I expect all the other accommodations (no bunker rakes, flagstick in, shallow holes) will be rescinded, too.  

Makes me wonder what info the Governor's committee has that tells them two people in a golf cart is okay.  Or did they just decide that if golfers want to sit together and risk illness, they would not stop us.

Now I must make the decision as to whether I ride in cart with someone, friend or stranger.  I think right now I am going to walk.  No buddies or strangers in the cart.

Edited by bkuehn1952

Brian Kuehn

8 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I find it hard to believe that it is recommended or required to wear masks indoors but it is okay to sit six inches from a stranger for four hours.

Six inches? You're riding closer to your playing partners than I do with my wife.

Seriously though, even though it is outdoors and the risk is likely low, I don't think I'm ready to share a cart with a stranger.  I did partially share a cart with a friend two weeks ago - I walked most holes as my back was acting up and he served as cart caddie, but I did sit in the cart for 3-5 holes.  Didn't bother me, but it felt strange when I first sat down. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Our Governor has announced a further loosening of restrictions.  Of specific interest to the golf course owners as well as many golfers was whether the One Person Per Cart rule was discontinued.  Someone in the Governor's office said yes, two people are now allowed in a cart in MI.

I find it hard to believe that it is recommended or required to wear masks indoors but it is okay to sit six inches from a stranger for four hours.  Yes, it is sort of outdoors but hardly six feet of social distancing.  I expect all the other accommodations (no bunker rakes, flagstick in, shallow holes) will be rescinded, too.  

Makes me wonder what info the Governor's committee has that tells them two people in a golf cart is okay.  Or did they just decide that if golfers want to sit together and risk illness, they would not stop us.

Now I must make the decision as to whether I ride in cart with someone, friend or stranger.  I think right now I am going to walk.  No buddies or strangers in the cart.

I hadn't heard this.   Thanks.   We played Monday and the course had a plastic sheet on two bungee cords to separate players.   I'm not comfortable sharing a cart with a stranger although the risk is much less than going to the dentist.  

• Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

montreal, quebec - golf courses finally opened on May 20th - rigid rules to adhere to including distancing (very easy} arrive at course 20 minutes before tee off... Flags are not to be touched... hole is 3/4 full of plastic...no ball washers, no rakes in traps. No handshaking, must leave course almost immediately after completion of play. However, we are thankful to be out from behind the four walls (that were closing in) and back in the great fresh air of a golf course!!  the weather has been varied... several days of really hot days (new record for the month of May last Wednesday in Montreal) almost 37 degrees (104 fahrenheit) and yesterday it was a high of 10 degrees ( 50 f.)  At least we are playing golf. We seldom start playing until early May most years so May 20th was reasonably accepted... Let's hope we can all have a great 2020 on the course no matter what the conditions!

36 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I hadn't heard this.   Thanks.   We played Monday and the course had a plastic sheet on two bungee cords to separate players.   I'm not comfortable sharing a cart with a stranger although the risk is much less than going to the dentist.  

If you go to the GAM website and click on COVID-19 Updates (or whatever they call it), there is a blurb about the change.

• Like 1

Brian Kuehn

• Administrator
1 hour ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I find it hard to believe that it is recommended or required to wear masks indoors but it is okay to sit six inches from a stranger for four hours.

Consider:

• You're not literally six inches from them.
  • You're not right next to them all four hours.
  • You have plexiglass between you (no?).
  • You have air flow whisking away all the breaths and such.

I realize you're a few years older than me, but I feel okay in a cart. And I will still get out and walk a good bit, and if we're parked, I get out.

But, walking is not a bad choice at all.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gbogey said:

Six inches? You're riding closer to your playing partners than I do with my wife.

Seriously though, even though it is outdoors and the risk is likely low, I don't think I'm ready to share a cart with a stranger.  I did partially share a cart with a friend two weeks ago - I walked most holes as my back was acting up and he served as cart caddie, but I did sit in the cart for 3-5 holes.  Didn't bother me, but it felt strange when I first sat down

I would imagine after all the social distancing, it would feel a bit awkward sitting next to a person that is not from the same household.

Just another thing we will have to re-acclimate when the restrictions are rescinded.

As for sharing a cart, while it's true there is airflow when the cart is moving, I would be hesitant share with a stranger or even a buddy for now.  There are times when you are sitting and the cart is not moving.  Without a divider, I would not share a cart just yet.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

34 minutes ago, Yukari said:

There are times when you are sitting and the cart is not moving. 

While I agree with you, I've never experienced this phenomena.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

2 hours ago, Yukari said:

I would imagine after all the social distancing, it would feel a bit awkward sitting next to a person that is not from the same household.

A little off topic, but my daughter's boyfriend came to visit for a week.  Since we were going to be in the same house for a week, we greeted each other with a handshake.  Talk about a weird feeling after two months of social distancing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gbogey said:

A little off topic, but my daughter's boyfriend came to visit for a week.  Since we were going to be in the same house for a week, we greeted each other with a handshake.  Talk about a weird feeling after two months of social distancing.

I may or may not have shook hands with people this weekend at a certain golf meetup. 

I also shook hands with a few neighbors when they stopped by recently to chat. 

I am a low risk group, but I am no longer "social distancing" so long as the other person feels the same way. You'd be surprised how many people are ready and willing to shake hands, etc. 

Anyway, back to golf. Great to see Michigan easing restrictions. It'll be nice to see rakes in the traps again and get rid of those silly pool noodles in the cups. 

EDIT: I've called several courses and even though the state is allowing two people per cart, most courses have not caught up or are not aware. 

Edited by Braivo

- Mark

6 minutes ago, Braivo said:

Anyway, back to golf. Great to see Michigan easing restrictions. It'll be nice to see rakes in the traps again and get rid of those silly pool noodles in the cups. 

Geez. Even Ohio isn't doing that yet.

- Shane

Note: This thread is 1152 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!