IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic

iacas

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So let's talk about collateral damage of the latest surge. Postponement of 'elective' surgeries is one of them. Turns out even cancer can be (first stage, not immediately life threatening) considered to be elective since it is scheduled. Wow.

One of our food managers at our course restaurant who has a first stage breast cancer found out three days before her surgery date (Jan 11th) that it has been postponed to 2nd week of February but hasn't been given a hard date. She is a 36 yo mom and understandably bitter. I am mad for her. Ridiculous.

I have not only no sympathy for the unvaccinated but a mix of emotions that one feels for the most selfish - folks who have no medical reason to not be vaccinated when there is constant flow of information that points to the fact -yes, fact - that it is the pandemic of the unvaccinated. Neither fear nor misinformation can be excused. 

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

16 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I'm trying to keep my sympathy because these folks MUST be getting bad information, or suffering from a deep deep distrust. There's no other explanation. 

My neighbors would disagree.   They are unvaccinated, got a slight case of Covid-19 and believe it's nothing more than the flu.   They have access to all of the information floating around and believe because they have had Covid they are immune.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

16 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

So let's talk about collateral damage of the latest surge. Postponement of 'elective' surgeries is one of them. Turns out even cancer can be (first stage, not immediately life threatening) considered to be elective since it is scheduled. Wow.

One of our food managers at our course restaurant who has a first stage breast cancer found out three days before her surgery date (Jan 11th) that it has been postponed to 2nd week of February but hasn't been given a hard date. She is a 36 yo mom and understandably bitter. I am mad for her. Ridiculous.

I have not only no sympathy for the unvaccinated but a mix of emotions that one feels for the most selfish - folks who have no medical reason to not be vaccinated when there is constant flow of information that points to the fact -yes, fact - that it is the pandemic of the unvaccinated. Neither fear nor misinformation can be excused. 

2 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

My neighbors would disagree.   They are unvaccinated, got a slight case of Covid-19 and believe it's nothing more than the flu.   They have access to all of the information floating around and believe because they have had Covid they are immune.  

I get it.

We are angry with those refusing to get vaccinated. I really don't understand it either. Which is why there must be more to it than meets the eye. 

Honestly, why would anyone not get vaccinated? If a person knows they are putting the lives of everyone they encounter at risk, why on Earth wouldn't you get vaccinated? It jus doesn't make sense. I don't believe anyone would say "Yeah, I'm hoping to go out and kill off ten people today." So, instead of yelling at them or screaming at them or calling them names. I'm trying really hard to understand them. I haven't succeeded yet.

I feel like screaming at them, begging them, bribing them, any of that hasn't worked. So, what will work? 

I think if we can get to the core of their reasoning perhaps we can help them? If it was like 2 or 3 percent of the population, I'd be like "Yeah, they are just crazies or idiots". But it's not. It's a large slice of the population, so they must be getting bad information. 

I still have a hard time believing that given the choice "Would you like to be Typhoid Mary, or would you NOT like to be Typhoid Mary?" that anyone would raise their hand and say "OOO, OOO, ... I want to be Typhoid Mary!" 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

45 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

This angers me a lot. Anti-vaxxers are selfish and are risking others lives in more ways that just the virus. It’s comical that the run to the ER when they finally get it too. Oh now you believe and trust in science and medicine with your life? Pathetic.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

@ChetlovesMer, the US ranks somewhere in the mid forties for vaccination in spite of being the wealthiest, most resourced country in the world. The other countries are succeeding in cutting through the mirth of bad information. The people there are no different in their misgivings about the vaccine, including distrust, which I have to believe is core to their reasoning. They are just as myopic and self centered. 

I guess we are just more stubborn as a nation. 

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

5 hours ago, GolfLug said:

My elective surgery got moved up and I assume (with no evidence whatsoever) that is was because someone had to cancel due to COVID. It could have been fear of COVID or because they got COVID or I could be completely wrong. I was scheduled for an umbilical/incisional hernia repair on Jan 26, but on Thur Jan 6 I got a call saying they had a cancellation and can I do it on Mon Jan 10. So I had surgery early which means I can fully recover sooner and be ready for spring.

A friend was scheduled for gall bladder surgery next week, but she got COVID and while she is already recovered, they said you have to wait at least 21 days. She is vaxxed, but she is a HCW and I assume she got it at work.

I work at a hospital and I know that we have had about 80 out of 1400 employees on quarantine at any given time for the last few weeks. It would be a lot higher is CDC had not reduced the quarantine time from 10 days to 5 days.

War Eagle!

On 1/21/2022 at 3:07 PM, boogielicious said:

I’ve really lost having sympathy for the anti-vaccine, anti-mask, anti-science people who die from this. They’ve had their chance and chose ignorant defiance instead of rational thinking and responsibility to their fellow human being. It’s like a guy who can’t swim defying the life guards who tell him not to go out in heavy surf and rip currents. They warn him and yet he still goes. And worse, the guards now risk their lives to save him.

Our health care workers and first responders have risked their lives for two years now trying to save lives. Everyday, they put themselves in harms way to save people from COVID. Many died early on doing this duty. And now it is preventable with vaccines and masks. And yet vocal anti-vax twits still harp on and con others to follow and then more die. It’s pathetic.

This is the message I would respond with if I were able to do so without the seething rage I feel for the willfully unvaccinated.

Oh if only the masks protected the wearer only....

Colin P.

1924: Iodine is added to table salt

Producers began voluntarily adding iodine to salt in the U.S. in 1924 in an effort to curb the number of Americans with goiter. The move was promoted by many national health organizations, such as the American Medical Association and the American Public Health Association.

Wonder what kind of general chaos this would have had today like the vaccine.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

39 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Producers began voluntarily adding iodine to salt in the U.S. in 1924 in an effort to curb the number of Americans with goiter. The move was promoted by many national health organizations, such as the American Medical Association and the American Public Health Association.

Dr Strangelove would cease to be satire I think...

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

Same with adding niacin in cornmeal. The doctor who discovered the issue was accused of trying to destroy southern culture. It was caused by the loss of using Nixtamalization to process corn over the years.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, dennyjones said:

Like fluorinated water. 

Well, it's official.  The entire family has it.  My youngest son tested positive first, followed immediately by my oldest daughter living at home.  Then my wife, other daughter, and finally my older (by a minute - they're triplets) son.  Now, I have tested positive.  Felt like I was hit by a truck yesterday, but I'm feeling much better today.  Runny nose, congested, and a little soreness. 

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

1 hour ago, bwdial said:

Well, it's official.  The entire family has it.  My youngest son tested positive first, followed immediately by my oldest daughter living at home.  Then my wife, other daughter, and finally my older (by a minute - they're triplets) son.  Now, I have tested positive.  Felt like I was hit by a truck yesterday, but I'm feeling much better today.  Runny nose, congested, and a little soreness. 

Sorry to hear that.  Get well (in the collective sense).

• Administrator
58 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Hospital patient who refused COVID vaccine is denied heart transplant

link

They want the organ to have a good chance of success. Pretty standard type stuff, really.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets