IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic

iacas

42 minutes ago, mattm16 said:

I also don't agree with that.  If a person doesn't think it will affect them, my thoughts are they would be less likely to get the vaccine.  Again, these are my thoughts, and I am getting the vaccine even though I don't think COVID would affect me.  From what I have been told, most likely it will be like the flu or a cold.  However, as I said, I am getting it due to other people (family/friends want me to).

Matt... that is very UNselfish, thinking of friends and family.  Good for you.  But don't be selfish to yourself.  I'm guessing you are younger.  A lot of 20 and 30 somethings are now getting the virus.  And while you'll probably live through it you may end up with lifelong side effects:  Brain fog, fatigue. Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing. Cough. Joint pain. Chest pain. Memory issues, concentration or sleep problems. Muscle pain or headache. Fast or pounding heartbeat.

You'll be much better off having the vaccine.  Then you can relax and safely take in public events that may be crowded... and that may also only allow those who are fully vaccinated.  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, mattm16 said:

From what I have been told, most likely it will be like the flu or a cold. 

Possibly for you it may be mild, but once infected you can infect many others. 600,000 people have died from this. That’s the population of Wyoming or Vermont. The vaccine, if we all take it, can make this virus a very minimal risk. We did it with small pox, polio, typhoid, measles and many other diseases that killed millions of people over the last few centuries. Why risk your health or the health of your loved ones when a free vaccine will help immensely.

I find this just amazing, and educational as well. Amazing in that I never thought I would see the flu so 'under control'.  Educational in the sense that we know how to keep under control now. Personally, I don't mind wearing masks in the flu season, sept thru march, and a sense of social distancing. Common sense comes into play as well. Although, shutting things down is really not an option for flu reasons. What the flu stats also should teach society is how well vaccines work. The age groups that are getting sick are the unvaccinated groups, while the most vulnerable group, those 65 and older are doing quite well these days, because a good majority have been vacc'd. Take a look at the flu chart:

pS4iI_few_americans_have_had_confirmed_flu_cases_this_season.png

6 hours ago, Billy Z said:

Although, shutting things down is really not an option for flu reasons. What the flu stats also should teach society is how well vaccines work. The age groups that are getting sick are the unvaccinated groups, while the most vulnerable group, those 65 and older are doing quite well these days, because a good majority have been vacc'd. Take a look at the flu chart:

I mean, the COVID vaccine didn't come out in force until after the flu season. The flu shot is not nearly as effective as the COVID vaccines. 

Also, it has way more to do with not having kids in schools, wearing masks, and social distancing. 

13 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I want Pfizer to make my flu vaccine!

I bet if Pfizer made the yearly flu vaccine, it wouldn't be as good as COVID vaccine. It has more to do with that the typical flu is a dumbed down version of the original, and we have no clue what strand we will get. 

14 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I want Pfizer to make my flu vaccine!

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

I bet if Pfizer made the yearly flu vaccine, it wouldn't be as good as COVID vaccine. It has more to do with that the typical flu is a dumbed down version of the original, and we have no clue what strand we will get. 

To give credit where it is due, actually it is German company BioNTech that developed the COVID vaccine.  Pfizer partnered with BioNTech and was largely responsible for manufacturing and distribution. 

Out of curiosity, checked to see if my state vaccination passport was ready and it is. It's only good till October though. Wonder what will happen then.

46 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Out of curiosity, checked to see if my state vaccination passport was ready and it is. It's only good till October though. Wonder what will happen then.

You and your passport will vaporize.  Because of the chip that was installed.

Probably will need a booster shot. 

On 5/5/2021 at 1:39 PM, mattm16 said:

No, I am not younger....will be 43 this year.  To some, that may be young though....

43 is def young, as far as I am concerned.

There was never a question in my mind I'd get the vaccine.  Overall I'm a very healthy person with a strong constitution so I always thought it i got it, I'd probably weather it ok, but i saw no reason to risk it and concluded whatever concerns I had about the vaccine were small in comparison to COVID-19 which has taken the life of so many.

And Florida is relaxing requirements with these numbers?

6885746732c177c7fddd68573ca15c28

Variant COVID-19 infections skyrocketed following spring break in Florida and there have been more...

On 5/5/2021 at 10:16 AM, mattm16 said:

I don't necessarily agree with that.  I know of people not getting the vaccine, and they are not uncaring.  For me, I do not think I need the vaccine.  I just don't.  The odds that I've seen of something majorly happening to me if I get COVID is small (and I do have a heart condition).  However, I am getting the vaccine for my friends/family.  They know that I don't think I need it; I'm doing it for them, not for me.

I “HAD” a friend that felt he did not need to worry about COVID and felt he was healthy.  We buried him a little over a week ago.

I am glad you are getting the vaccine for the benefit of your friends and family.

On 5/6/2021 at 12:16 AM, mattm16 said:

I don't necessarily agree with that.  I know of people not getting the vaccine, and they are not uncaring.  For me, I do not think I need the vaccine.  I just don't.  The odds that I've seen of something majorly happening to me if I get COVID is small (and I do have a heart condition).  However, I am getting the vaccine for my friends/family.  They know that I don't think I need it; I'm doing it for them, not for me.

Imagine the millions of people in India right now saying they "don't think they need it." When you say "I just don't", what you mean is "I can't justify my position and I'm not changing it".

I can 100% tell you that the people you know not getting the vaccine are absolutely, totally, unequivocally uncaring. And not too bright.

I just cannot understand how the whole pandemic has been about vaccines - when/if - and now that we have them people somehow see themselves as capable of making scientific judgements and deciding they "don't need it" based on nothing but ignorance.

Imagine having a converstaion with a mildly competent health professional and saying "I don't think I need it." And then, when pressed, saying "I just don't". That's a high quality, persuasive argument. Unreal.

Edited by Shorty

56 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I’ve lost a former boss and another retired co-worker in the last 5 days to Covid. They were both great people. It’s not over.

Man, I am sorry to hear that, brother. 

It totally sucks the number of good people we lost to this crazy dang virus. 

Hang in there.