IGNORED

30-Day (Was COVID) Practice Plan Challenge - April 1-30 2020

Note: This thread is 779 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

35 minutes ago, Nail said:

What I am loving about these drills is almost every problem you can have in the golf swing is addressed and if you are having trouble in the future you can refer back to whichever drill could help fix your problem. Excellent stuff

Yep - it’s nice creating our own individual video libraries....fantastic idea

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wasn’t able to film this today as it rained all day. I will film it tomorrow.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Here are days 24 and 25. When I did the one hand drill properly, the ball was launching a lot higher and softer than it used to, definitely will keep practicing that.

The day 25 had me turning with my upper body much more than I was used to, which is probably a good thing. Will keep working on that one too, I liked the feeling of coil/uncoil with my body, it felt like I was using a lot less arms compared to my current swing.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Spent time this afternoon catching up on the weekend and today's drills, I've always liked the wall/butt drill, but can never seem to repeat it on the range.  I've tried using the wooden bag stands but they always seem to be to low, I'll have to see what other options I have the next time I get to the range.

And as others have said, the drills that I think are making the most impact are creating a pretty big personal library, hopefully once the 30 days are over I can identify the key drills and prioritize them into a nice practice routine.

Gus
---------------

Day 27:

The head on the wall drill was definitely harder for me. I tend to push “through the wall” slightly on my backswing and back away from the wall a couple of inches on my downswing.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
6 hours ago, SteveH said:

So both butt and head coming away from wall after impact is ok ?  That's what I was wondering yesterday when I noticed I was standing up more after the strike.  When I watch the video back in slo-mo at impact I would still be in contact with both imaginary "walls".  

Yeah, after impact is okay, though ideally not too soon after impact.

1 hour ago, klineka said:

Here are days 24 and 25. When I did the one hand drill properly, the ball was launching a lot higher and softer than it used to, definitely will keep practicing that.

The day 25 had me turning with my upper body much more than I was used to, which is probably a good thing. Will keep working on that one too, I liked the feeling of coil/uncoil with my body, it felt like I was using a lot less arms compared to my current swing.

Arms straight on that last one. The poster frame shows you with very bent arms.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 27 - I had to improvise a little today - using a heavy board up against the hand truck for the butt part and my old stand for spraying guitar bodies for the head part....It worked for the most part.  Hardest part was making sure of contact and stability on both accounts...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Okay, took the family camping this past weekend so I had some makeup work to do . I have video for Day 23, 24, and 26. Did the drills for Day 25 and today 27 but I didn't get the video.

DAY 23

My preshot routine is 27 seconds long. Same preshot routine I have used for as long as I can remember. 

1. Practice Swing
  2. Pick spot to aim
  3. Step in to shot, right hand on the club then left
  4. Set my feet
  5. Waggle and go!

I took video of an 8 iron and a Driver. Almost exactly the same length.

DAY 24

This is another drill I have used in the past. We also try to get our older juniors to try this during our summer camps.

DAY 25

No video for this drill. Another drill we have shown our juniors in the summer. Really good drill for them.

DAY 26

I got my hands wrong in the video, just noticed that. Good drill, I use something similiar as a warmup pre round.

DAY 27

Okay caught up to today. Did this drill inside so no video again. I actually used to have a piece of equipment that I used for this drill, but it got torn up over the years.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Just a couple of short clips for today's drill.  I worked on this a bit in the past at the course staying inside alignment sticks and also with longer stakes with a noodle during a lesson

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Day 27

Had an uncommitted helper for the second drill but yes, guilty of EE in the Before Times.

Before Times (a host of problems including a right elbow much, much less than 90 degrees).

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 27

Did the chair drill with a patio chair that had a slightly lower back than ideal, so it rested on My upper hamstrings. I still think this worked for getting the feel right though, but there was a portion of downswing when there was only minimal chair contact; through backswing right hamstring touched chair back, then middle of downswing both hamstrings barely/barely not touching, and then through impact and flow through contact transitioned to left hamstring.

Did the wall drill using a potted tree with a branch sticking out, but couldn’t to it with a club or else I would bang into the pot. My instructor has done this with me before with a pool noodle and with practice swings and rehearsal swings I’m pretty good but less good with a full swing.

Did some practice swings using the patio door as a mirror, and did okay but not great with the feels so this is another drill I’ll make use of again.

Also did a quick run through of day-2 and -26 drills again to work on those feels, but I tend to get overwhelmed if I have too many feels going through my head at once, so tried to focus mainly on chair/wall drill feels. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator

Day 28 - Advanced Shoulder Tilts

Today you're going to look kind of stupid, but this drill is a GREAT way to figure out a few things. Today's drill will help you tilt properly on the backswing, "back into" the target by shifting slightly forward in transition, and then clearing the right shoulder under and around in the downswing and follow-through. It'll also help you make sure you're turning 90° and getting all the power out of your backswing that you can get.

Drills for today:

• 10:00 - Determine when your family will be gone so that you can tie a stick around your chest without being made fun of for weeks.
  • 6:00 - Slow rehearsal swings missing the stick three times (backswing, transition, trail stick).
  • 3:00 - Softly, slowly hit shots with the stick in place.

Video:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 28. I had it filmed and the stick back off when I remembered to hit balls with the stick on. So the vid just has no ball drills. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Day 27 and 28. The only flat place to film this was my backyard.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 28 COVID challenge

I LOVED this drill. I found that it brought my attention to Lead left hip shifting forward a little. My camera was a little low so it seems the noodle was high, but it was right where Erik wanted it. Felt good. Keeping the set up intact for further use

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Nail said:

Day 28. I had it filmed and the stick back off when I remembered to hit balls with the stick on. So the vid just has no ball drills. 

Are you turning that stick past the grey thing? > 90°?

Did days 26 and 27 today, plan on doing 28 and 29 tomorrow so I will be caught back up.

Got the day 26 stuff on video, filmed it twice because I didn't do it right the first time, the first time my arms and shaft were level on the way back, the butt of the club wasn't pointing down at the ground behind the ball. I feel like I did a better job in the video below. 

I like the day 27 stuff too, it's a great reminder for me especially with driver as I tend to jump off my right foot a lot which contributes to the shaft getting steep. One feeling that I've worked on with my instructor that has helped me keep my butt on the wall/chair is to feel during the backswing that there is a lot of weight/pressure in my right heel.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Note: This thread is 779 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!