IGNORED

Will COVID-19 Permanently Change Cart Culture?

Bonvivant
Note: This thread is 1431 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Carts Post COVID-19  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Will COVID-19 Permanently Change Cart Culture?

• Yes
    • No

I don't think that I could play without riding anymore. 

I enjoy walking and often do, but not eighteen holes of hilly golf.

TaylorMade 300___307cc driver, 13.5°                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Top Flite Titanium Intimidator 400___3, 5, 7, 9 woods                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist T300___7, 8, 9, PW, AW, GW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Titleist SM6___LW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Tad Moore Chicopee___putter                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist Pro V1x___ball

I could walk and would if my golf partners wanted to walk.   Most courses in my area are walker friendly but very few people do walk.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

58 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I could walk and would if my golf partners wanted to walk.   Most courses in my area are walker friendly but very few people do walk.  

Do you just feel bad for not splitting cart fee, or don't like to walk when others are riding?

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

13 hours ago, David in FL said:

Nope.  The big change here has been to single rider carts.  As a result, rounds are even quicker.

Played 36 holes in 5:45 today as a 4-ball.  Good stuff!

At first I thought that was a slow round until I noticed the number of holes played. That's awesome!

- Shane

Personally I think I am going to return to my normal life once the quarantine here in India is over.  I will perhaps be a little more cautious and wash my hands a bit more, but unless I see a massive breakout in the neighbourhood I am living in, it will not affect me in one bit or lead to changes of any kind.  That includes golf.  I currently walk a lot and assuming I have my trolley with me, pull my bag.  Some courses are cart only and I will use them there.  In some cases, even with the trolley I will use a caddie.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

16 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Do you just feel bad for not splitting cart fee, or don't like to walk when others are riding?

I just go with the group decision.   The price of the cart isn't a factor.  Golf here is very cheap compared to other places.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

18 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I just go with the group decision.   The price of the cart isn't a factor.  Golf here is very cheap compared to other places.

Gotcha. I guess I just don't mind as much being the odd man of the group. I do ride sometimes but thats usually a course layout thing (neighborhood courses).

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

People in general have short memories/attention spans. Right now it seems like we'll never be the same again. But I suspect once this crisis is over and things go back to some semblance of normal, so will the courses and everyone else.

Personally I have been trying to walk more this year anyway. So this will only motivate me even more. But I like riding as well.

18 hours ago, David in FL said:

Nope.  The big change here has been to single rider carts.  As a result, rounds are even quicker.

Played 36 holes in 5:45 today as a 4-ball.  Good stuff!

I agree with @David in FL we've gone to single cart, single rider here, and the pace is so much faster, it may become a standard. Especially with 5 hour rounds in snowbird season.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

For me I walk often on some of the courses in the Phoenix Metro area.  Most are flat and  not too much distance between greens to the next tee.  But I am in my late seventies and there are some courses I just can't walk anymore because of the up & downs and/or they spread out with significant distances between holes. In my summer place here in the mountains of AZ I don't walk more than 9 holes. Just too much up and down for an old guy to handle and enjoy it. Maybe if I would fork over some bucks and get one of those electric powered push carts I could walk more.  Pretty expensive on a retire's budget. But I'll think on it.  To answer the OP question No I don't think I'll change much when we get back to normal and I somehow doubt many will.  Too bad as I like walking better and those that could walk more seem t want to ride.

Butch

Golf cart no. It will however change our lives. 
I for one wash my hands a lot more frequently. I think that will and has become a habit already. I am also more cautious of touching anything when I go out. That too may stick around after COVID fades. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Permanent is a long time, almost as long as forever. People will forget.

(Before COVID) How many people were scared of catching an airborne virus because of the 1918 Spanish Flu? Not many.

There will be some culture change, but it’ll prob fade away.

12 minutes ago, arturo28mx said:

I prefer 9 holes walking than 18 holes in a cart. For me, walking is 50% the joy of golf. That's just me.

I play a lot of 9 hole rounds, sweeping the dew early in the morning.  I'm home before a lot of people are out of bed.

1 hour ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Permanent is a long time, almost as long as forever. People will forget.

(Before COVID) How many people were scared of catching an airborne virus because of the 1918 Spanish Flu? Not many.

There will be some culture change, but it’ll prob fade away.

911 was grotesquely horrible, but most people have moved on.  We'll move on from this and in 10 years someone will ask, "Covid what?"

Edited by Double Mocha Man
typo

I belong to 2 courses here in Colorado. I walk one of them every time I play (unless I'm playing a scramble tournament) and the other is not walkable.  The walkable course is open now, with specific rules.  Many ride that course, one person per cart, 6' distance, etc.  The other course is not open yet but we have a private cart for that one.  It won't affect my play at all.

Mark in Colorado

On 3/31/2020 at 2:22 PM, Bonvivant said:

I think you missed what I was talking about. If people that love to golf enough, but normally ride and can't right now, still go out and walk and play they might find a new appreciation for walking. I don't think that this will be the experience for most, but I hope that some people find a new way to enjoy the game, and stick with it. Carts are a very American thing, and I think that it stems from some form of convenience that American's value more than other people.

All this talk of putting speakers in carts is making me sick though. Do y'all actually play music while you are golfing? If so, do you think that it doesn't bug others?

Sorry, I mis-interpreted the word permanently.

John

On 3/31/2020 at 4:08 PM, Bonvivant said:

. I was just hoping that some people that truly love golf but always ride, would find a new way to enjoy the game (a way that I find more enjoyable myself) due to the circumstances.

It seems a bit arrogant to think that the way you or I enjoy the game is somehow better than the way someone else does.

You’re young.  Enjoy it while you can.  Some day you may find that riding allows you to continue to enjoy the game as you get a bit older.  People can love the game, whether they walk or ride...

Just sayin’...  ;-)

• Like 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 1431 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!