IGNORED

Rory/DJ vs. Rickie/Wolff Skins Game at Seminole!

iacas
Note: This thread is 1434 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

Yes disappointed. Not once did I read how they could improve all that you and @iacasmentioned. I am disappointed because like most things printed no real context just nope didn’t like pros wearing shorts.

What did you read that your takeaway was "didn't like pros wearing shorts"?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It felt like the producers didn't put much effort into preparation for what you would call an entertainment event. These events could be spiced up a bit by pre-recorded bits from players talking about their game, how they play certain shots, match play strategy. Better photography could have helped. Also, the open easy look of Seminole made for a very snoozy visual. I understand it is hard to do with live events but they could have taken some cues from GCs Big Break interactive bits.   

On a separate note I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of money they raised - $5.5 mill. Nice! 

Vishal S.

It was ok but not great. I think the course had as much to do with it as anything. Not a good one for tv. 

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

5 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

Yes disappointed. Not once did I read how they could improve all that you and @iacasmentioned. I am disappointed because like most things printed no real context just nope didn’t like pros wearing shorts. 

I haven't read or heard of anyone complaining about the fact that pros were wearing shorts. Do you have any examples of that?

And some of the solutions are really obvious based on the complaints that a lot of us have, but I'll go ahead and break them down for you.

Problem - Too many commercials. Solution - less commercials.

Problem - Pointless celebrities being brought on the air. Solution - Don't bring pointless celebrities on the air.

Problem - Announcers talking over mic'd up players. Solution - Less talking by the announcers.

Problem - The player interviews were boring. Solution - Ask better interview questions.

17 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

I enjoyed what it was. 

I (somewhat) enjoyed what it was too, but that doesn't mean there aren't some adjustments that could be made to the broadcast that would make most people enjoy it more.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

@klineka all fair points. This morning from what I read I do not recall one writer adding your feedback. Seems easy, instead of pure criticism adding improvements as you did probably would have resulted in me not being disappointed. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

1 minute ago, jmanbooyaa said:

@klineka all fair points. This morning from what I read I do not recall one writer adding your feedback. Seems easy, instead of pure criticism adding improvements as you did probably would have resulted in me not being disappointed. 

Dude. Nobody gives the improvements because the improvements are obvious based on the complaint... Most of the time just do the opposite of the complaint, which is pretty much implied and understood.

"There were pointless celebrities on the broadcast" disappoints you.

"There were pointless celebrities on the broadcast and the solution is to not have pointless celebrities on the broadcast" does not disappoint you???

Nick Young Wtf GIF

So anybody keep a clock on how long it takes 4pros to walk a flat tract?  DJ seemed to play ready golf tee to green.

Edited by burr

16 minutes ago, klineka said:

"There were pointless celebrities on the broadcast" disappoints you.

"There were pointless celebrities on the broadcast and the solution is to not have pointless celebrities on the broadcast" does not disappoint you???

Golden.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, burr said:

So anybody keep a clock on how long it takes 4pros to walk a flat tract?  DJ seemed to play ready golf tee to green.

Over four hours.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My main interest in watching was to see the famed Seminole Golf Course, not the golf involved;  so much hype about the course all week.  And it is a beautiful setting.  I understand the design had to work with what they had but I'm fairly amazed at the closeness of all holes from green to next teebox.  I suppose play does not get too backed up on an ultra elite course such as Seminole but I also betcha they's some ducking going on with the errant shots during normal golfing days.

Just now, iacas said:

Over four hours.

they seemed to be fairly prompt except for deciding who was 'away' on second shots.

I was excited for it, I enjoyed watching them play/swing. I watched it and was kind of bored.

I just don’t like watching pro’s play any type of best ball game. I like when one ball is in play. Alternate shot is fun for me to watch.

I understand that it was supposed to be an easy, fun day for everyone. I just can never get really into that format.

1 hour ago, klineka said:

I haven't read or heard of anyone complaining about the fact that pros were wearing shorts. Do you have any examples of that?

And some of the solutions are really obvious based on the complaints that a lot of us have, but I'll go ahead and break them down for you.

Problem - Too many commercials. Solution - less commercials.

Problem - Pointless celebrities being brought on the air. Solution - Don't bring pointless celebrities on the air.

Problem - Announcers talking over mic'd up players. Solution - Less talking by the announcers.

Problem - The player interviews were boring. Solution - Ask better interview questions.

I (somewhat) enjoyed what it was too, but that doesn't mean there aren't some adjustments that could be made to the broadcast that would make most people enjoy it more.

Re: Commercials, need to pay the bills. Also, with only 4 players to watch needed to fill time between shots.

Re: Pointless Celebrities, I can't find much to disagree with on this one.  Maybe trying to capture interest of viewers that are not 100% into golf and need the side show?  Not that I dislike Bill Murray, but they over-expose him at the Pebble Beach Pro-Am so maybe they felt then needed to do it again.  Also, not to get political but did not need  to get political and have the Trump interview.  Would have been better to have a few other tour-pros giving comments.

Re: Announcers talking....They always talk too much but as with the pointless celebs, some viewers like that.  The key needs to be balance.Insert other media

Re: Boring Interviews...Good interviews may help but the interviewee needs to have interesting responses also.  Most post-round interviews are weak.  

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

There’s probably a little hesitancy to just talk openly being on mic. They can be encouraged to talk it up between shots but they’re thinking they could make one little slip and get Scott Piercy’d in an instant.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I was really pumped to see the course, and I really wasn't impressed. Very plain looking. From the air, it looked like 18 greens out in a field. Mabye it looks better in person, but I can name Ross courses that I've played that I would pick over Seminole. Mabye the fact that it has a bunch of rich members, and it's hard to get on gives it a better rep than it deserves.

(edited)

I enjoyed it overall. I didn't like the fact that the announcers would talk over the mic'd up players. Shorts didn't bother me. Commercials didn't bother me. I didn't see the need to bring in the celebs (especially just to watch them eat snacks at home...lol), but I understand "why" they were doing it. It was pretty much what I expected it was going to be.

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I was not impressed with the course either, don't think I had high expectations of it, but don't really understand all the hype other than the list of members. 

Gus
---------------

31 minutes ago, StuM said:

Re: Commercials, need to pay the bills. Also, with only 4 players to watch needed to fill time between shots.

I certainly dont know all the ins and outs of commercials and revenue, but since they did a set of commercials after pretty much every shot and they had a very limited production team on site, that means that compared to a regular tournament, there were more commercials with a (likely) lower overhead production cost yesterday. Also, since this whole thing was for charity, I don't really care if NBC makes money on this or not. IMO they shouldn't be profiting off of it, or any profit they do make, they should be donating to one of the charities.

36 minutes ago, StuM said:

Re: Announcers talking....They always talk too much but as with the pointless celebs, some viewers like that.  

Where have you heard that? I have never read anything in an article or on social media that says people like how much announcers talk during PGA Tournaments. Pretty much everything I see/read is the exact opposite.

Note: This thread is 1434 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!