IGNORED

No. 1 HCP Hole On Your Home Course

dagolfer18
Note: This thread is 1405 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 minutes ago, billchao said:

You guys and your fish stories crack me up. :beer:

You’re overly humble....

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, David in FL said:

Two courses at my club, so I’ll post both #1 hcp holes.  Both demonstrate nicely that the #1 hcp hole need not be the “hardest” hole on the course, but rather, is the hole where the bogey golfer most needs a stroke from the scratch golfer.

#7 at Heathrow CC.  400 yd par-4.  Intimidating drive with water all the way down the left and OB right.  Any drive less than 230 yds will leave the need to carry 180ish to ensure you clear the pond that wraps around and fronts the green.  The fairway narrows between the two bunkers at about 250 yards.  Needless to say, either bunker presents a significant challenge for the approach with soft sand and another 150ish yards to carry.  I’ve seen more than a few single digit players make a double digit score on this one.

A couple of years ago we played 27 holes one rainy, windy afternoon.  Playing the front 9 twice, I played this hole in a combined total of 5, count ‘em, cinco strokes!  It was so windy that I hit 3-wood in both times.  To 10 feet the first time, and holing it the second time.

Perhaps the highlight of my entire golf career.   :-)

6679A8AB-EFF9-488E-930F-86589849996B.jpeg

Birdie-eagle on that hole, into the wind?? That’s impressive!

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Officially, it's on the front 9, #6, a 520 yds par 5, with a very steep hill right in front of the box, so you'd better get the ball really airborne or you won't make the top of the hill, then a right dogleg quite a ways down the fairway, which requires that the tee shot be placed in the left half of the fairway, but the left side is guarded by some tall trees from the top of the hill onward. The green is nothing special, no bunkers, just a bit of slope going in two directions (back to front and left to right). In my view, it's not a difficult hole, but it easily becomes a bogey hole for a slicer or someone failing to clear the top of the hill on the tee shot or hitting the trees on the left. I am not a long hitter by any means, but I once put my second 3 wood (also 3 wood from the tee) on the fringe. I had the wind behind me and those were too really good 3 woods. Most of the time I par this hole, with the occasional birdie when I wedge it close. 

In reality, the second handicap hole, #14, is the hardest, IMHO. It's a 400 yards uphill all the way, with a very sharp left dogleg up to a perched green (so it's doubly uphill). If you fade or slice, it obviously becomes a much longer second shot and it's made worse by the fairway sloping left to right severely which tends to make those balls curving right go further away from the green.  The green is severely sloped left to right and back to front and almost any position above the hole is a very difficult putt, and one that is not easy to keep close to the hole for a tap-in or short putt.

I think a fallacy is to think that the hardest hole is the #1 handicap: instead it's the hole where a bogey golfer might need a stroke the most, but there is also the consideration of front 9 vs back 9 and I think that the front 9 always have the odd handicap holes were the back 9 always have the even ones, so handicap #2 might actually be harder than #1...

Edited by sjduffers

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

45 minutes ago, sjduffers said:

I think a fallacy is to think that the hardest hole is the #1 handicap:

The topic is the #1 hcp hole per rating. I don’t think anyone has said it’s the hardest hole right? 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Sugar Hill Golf Club - Hole #4 - Par 4 - 402 / 366 / 302 / 295

Dogleg right, with a deep, heavily wooded area all along the right side, and water left off the tee.  The green is narrow, and angled from the fairway.  Last time I played it, from the white tees, I made a triple bogey after some poor course management. 

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

2 hours ago, sjduffers said:

I think a fallacy is to think that the hardest hole is the #1 handicap: instead it's the hole where a bogey golfer might need a stroke the most, but there is also the consideration of front 9 vs back 9 and I think that the front 9 always have the odd handicap holes were the back 9 always have the even ones, so handicap #2 might actually be harder than #1...

I mentioned that in my post.

It’s also not true that the odd hcp number holes are always on the front.  While they most often are, they can be on the back...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

14 hours ago, sjduffers said:

To be clear, it's the hole where a bogey golfer needs a stroke versus a scratch golfer.  A good example was my old home course in NJ.  The 3rd hole #1 handicap was 391 from my tees -  a scratch golfer with his 250 yard drive would have 141 into the green - probably a wedge.  A bogey golfer with his 200 yard drive would have 191 into the green - probably a FW to an elevated green with deep rough right and a hill left that ran into the woods.  The 7th hole #3 handicap (355 yards) was harder but it hard for everyone - regardless of whether your drive was 200 or 250, you had an awkward side hill lie into a diabolical green.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Vinsk said:

The topic is the #1 hcp hole per rating. I don’t think anyone has said it’s the hardest hole right? 

In theory it is supposed to be.  Of course 1 and 2 will be on different 9's so it may well be that 2 is harder than 1 for some people.  The truth is how the hole is made difficult also affects how you view it.  Some holes are difficult by being long.  Others are difficult because you need to be accurate (OB, hazard etc).  Depending on your game, some holes might not be as difficult as others.  For example, on my home course, stroke index 1 is difficult because it requires a long second shot of approximately 175 to 200 yards (net as it is uphill) but more importantly the entire right side is OB.  The stroke index 2 hole is hard because it is a par 4 495 yards.  Unless you are long you are hitting fairway woods to even reach the green in two.  And it is an elevated green with quite a bit of slope in one half.  But the longer hitters find this easier because they are hitting mid lofted irons.  This hole doesn't demand as much accuracy because the only OB is beyond the green

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

8 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

In theory it is supposed to be. 

No.  No it’s not.

It’s been said several times now.  The lowest hcp hole(s) is/are those where a bogey golfer most needs a stroke from a scratch golfer.

There are many instances where more difficult holes have higher hcp ratings because they play more equally difficult for players of all abilities.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

In David's bag....

1 minute ago, David in FL said:

No.  No it’s not.

It’s been said several times now.  The lowest hcp hole(s) is/are those where a bogey golfer most needs a stroke from a scratch golfer.

There are many instances where more difficult holes have higher hcp ratings because they play more equally difficult for players of all abilities.

This was true up until January this year, and probably will remain true until each course chooses to review its Stroke Allocations.  The recommended procedure in the USGA area used to be to base handicap numbering on the scoring difference between low handicap and high handicap players on each hole.  In the new WHS, the recommendation is to based the handicap numbering on the hole difficulty, as determined by the Course Rating process, as well as having the stroke allocations spread somewhat evenly through the entire golf course.  This is Appendix E in the Handicap Rules.

At my home course, Handicap #1 is the 15th hole, a par 5 of moderate length.  

2083652790_stoneleigh15.jpg.05b69e2b6d46d5c41fdf752f13fc4cdc.jpg

The tee shot is slightly downhill, with OB tight on the left, and long grass well to the right.  The second can reach the green after a good drive, but it has to carry a large tree, and the pond which fronts the green.  A layup has to end up in fairway bordered on both sides by penalty area, leaving a third shot to the green over the pond.  The green is challenging, with a "shelf" in the back half, and a slight ridge dividing front right from front left.  Generally, this is a birdie hole for better players, but has real disaster potential for others.

This is NOT the most difficult hole, that would be #12.  390 yards, uphill about 70 feet (based on Google Earth), into the prevailing wind, so playing maybe 430?  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

This was true up until January this year, and probably will remain true until each course chooses to review its Stroke Allocations.  The recommended procedure in the USGA area used to be to base handicap numbering on the scoring difference between low handicap and high handicap players on each hole.  In the new WHS, the recommendation is to based the handicap numbering on the hole difficulty, as determined by the Course Rating process, as well as having the stroke allocations spread somewhat evenly through the entire golf course.  This is Appendix E in the Handicap Rules.

At my home course, Handicap #1 is the 15th hole, a par 5 of moderate length.  

2083652790_stoneleigh15.jpg.05b69e2b6d46d5c41fdf752f13fc4cdc.jpg

The tee shot is slightly downhill, with OB tight on the left, and long grass well to the right.  The second can reach the green after a good drive, but it has to carry a large tree, and the pond which fronts the green.  A layup has to end up in fairway bordered on both sides by penalty area, leaving a third shot to the green over the pond.  The green is challenging, with a "shelf" in the back half, and a slight ridge dividing front right from front left.  Generally, this is a birdie hole for better players, but has real disaster potential for others.

This is NOT the most difficult hole, that would be #12.  390 yards, uphill about 70 feet (based on Google Earth), into the prevailing wind, so playing maybe 430?  

12 is definitely the hardest hole on your course.  And you forgot to mention the crazy rock wall up the right side between the fairway and the OB and the damn tree that is short and right of the green (have they cut that old dying tree down yet?).   Man that hole is a pain for someone who draws the ball.  LOL 

At Springfield G&CC, the #1 HC hole is 15, which is a decent birdie opportunity for most good players.  Just a normal Par 5.  The bunkers left and the pond right are really the only trouble.

image.png

The hardest hole, is probably the 18 HC hole, the Par 3  Number 6.  It's 225 from the back tee and typically plays 190-195 from the blue tee, it's uphill and typically into a stiff breeze and I believe it's one of the largest greens on the course.  Not a lot of birdies and lots of bogeys or worse.  OB the entire right side, severe slope if you go left of the trap and a 3 putt is always lurking as the green slopes severly back to front for the first half of the green and then slopes front to back the last half of the green.

image.png

Edited by jsgolfer

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

On 6/11/2020 at 5:38 PM, Vinsk said:
On 6/11/2020 at 4:51 PM, sjduffers said:

I think a fallacy is to think that the hardest hole is the #1 handicap:

I didn't aim this comment at anyone. But it's a commonly held perception, isn't it?

On 6/11/2020 at 7:18 PM, David in FL said:

It’s also not true that the odd hcp number holes are always on the front.  While they most often are, they can be on the back...

True. But, It still means that a #2 stroke index hole could be more of an issue for a bogey golfer (or indeed for anyone as in my example) than a #1 stroke index, because all odd stroke indices are on one side and all the even ones are on the other side, and it isn't clear that the determination of odd/even stroke holes vs front/back is made solely on the #1 vs #2 holes: it most likely isn't. Maybe it's the total set of 9 holes that determine whether a side has the odd or even stroke holes? Perhaps @iacas can clarify that, as he is an experienced course rater?

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

24 minutes ago, sjduffers said:

I didn't aim this comment at anyone. But it's a commonly held perception, isn't it?

True. But, It still means that a #2 stroke index hole could be more of an issue for a bogey golfer (or indeed for anyone as in my example) than a #1 stroke index, because all odd stroke indices are on one side and all the even ones are on the other side, and it isn't clear that the determination of odd/even stroke holes vs front/back is made solely on the #1 vs #2 holes: it most likely isn't. Maybe it's the total set of 9 holes that determine whether a side has the odd or even stroke holes? Perhaps @iacas can clarify that, as he is an experienced course rater?

Its definitely a common (mis)perception that the #1 handicap hole is the hardest.  I know I posted our #1 handicap hole, along with a description of the hardest.  And as I indicated, the new recommendations about Stroke Allocations will put "hard" ahead of most other considerations.

As for odds and evens, the recommendations say to putt the odds on the front, unless the back is significantly more difficult.  All of the Stroke Allocations are subject to the Committee's discretion, the USGA only provides recommendations.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

3 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

As for odds and evens, the recommendations say to putt the odds on the front, unless the back is significantly more difficult.  All of the Stroke Allocations are subject to the Committee's discretion, the USGA only provides recommendations.

^^^ This ^^^

In David's bag....

On 6/11/2020 at 10:49 AM, David in FL said:

Two courses at my club, so I’ll post both #1 hcp holes.  Both demonstrate nicely that the #1 hcp hole need not be the “hardest” hole on the course, but rather, is the hole where the bogey golfer most needs a stroke from the scratch golfer.

#7 at Heathrow CC.  400 yd par-4.  Intimidating drive with water all the way down the left and OB right.  Any drive less than 230 yds will leave the need to carry 180ish to ensure you clear the pond that wraps around and fronts the green.  The fairway narrows between the two bunkers at about 250 yards.  Needless to say, either bunker presents a significant challenge for the approach with soft sand and another 150ish yards to carry.  I’ve seen more than a few single digit players make a double digit score on this one.

A couple of years ago we played 27 holes one rainy, windy afternoon.  Playing the front 9 twice, I played this hole in a combined total of 5, count ‘em, cinco strokes!  It was so windy that I hit 3-wood in both times.  To 10 feet the first time, and holing it the second time.

Perhaps the highlight of my entire golf career.   :-)

6679A8AB-EFF9-488E-930F-86589849996B.jpeg

Number 4 at The Legacy course.  525 ya par-5.  Even as a relatively short hitter, I consider it to be one of the easiest birdies on the course.  Another intimidating tee shot makes the higher hcp players struggle though.  It takes an accurate 230+ drive to carry the water and to keep from being blocked on the left for your 2d shot.  Following that there’s no real problem except for the green side bunkers and the large double tiered green with the lower tier in back.  

A18E18C0-91A8-4415-906A-28F99D5661C7.jpeg

Neither hole is terribly difficult, but both tend to give the higher hcp player fits...

In our area, the local paper would run a "Hardest Holes in the Valley" poll! Number 13 at Mill Creek North would win the hardest 13th every year! It was a dogleg left, uphill, 445 yard par 4 (from the tips), that was squeezed on the left by huge oak trees, and on the right by two enormous fairway bunkers! 

17 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

In our area, the local paper would run a "Hardest Holes in the Valley" poll! Number 13 at Mill Creek North would win the hardest 13th every year! It was a dogleg left, uphill, 445 yard par 4 (from the tips), that was squeezed on the left by huge oak trees, and on the right by two enormous fairway bunkers! 

Is that your home course? What's your strategy?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 6/12/2020 at 11:29 AM, DaveP043 said:

It's still not necessarily going to be the "hardest holes".

Typically in course rating for example you'll see a par three with some expected scores from bogey and scratch golfers of 2.97 and 3.87, or 6.84 or 0.84 over par.

But on a par five, you'll see 4.76 and 6.32, or 11.08, or 1.08 over par.

But which hole was "more difficult" for the scratch golfer?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 hours ago, iacas said:

It's still not necessarily going to be the "hardest holes".

Typically in course rating for example you'll see a par three with some expected scores from bogey and scratch golfers of 2.97 and 3.87, or 6.84 or 0.84 over par.

But on a par five, you'll see 4.76 and 6.32, or 11.08, or 1.08 over par.

But which hole was "more difficult" for the scratch golfer?

I knew I was simplifying when I mentioned "hole difficulty, as determined by the Course Rating process", so I went back and took a good look again.  They suggest using the sum of (Scratch Rating-Par) plus (Bogey Rating - Par).  Your numbers are (as expected) compiled that way.  The intent seems (to me at least) to be to use a measure of "difficulty"  that takes into account all golfers, not just the scratch golfer.

Dave

Note: This thread is 1405 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!