IGNORED

Justin Thomas Curses and in 2021 Uses Homophobic Slurs

F&#%  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a problem or dislike Justin Thomas (or anyone else, really) cursing on TV while playing golf?

• Yes, it's a problem.
    • No, no problem here.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

There is a difference between “shit” and what JT said.

Accepting that it’s ”where we are now” doesn’t help us move forward.

My wife is a teacher. It’s not “where we are now” across the country.

I'm sure it isn't across the country. Just telling you how it is here (in this particular environment). You are absolutely right that it is not helping us move forward. I'm only speaking about what I hear/see daily. It's different in this environment. As a matter of fact, you can drive south of the school where I teach (about 5 miles) and get a completely different environment.  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it's a problem. Yeah, I'm in the minority. But here are some reasons why: 1. Golf is a game of control. Control the club face, backswing, downswing, etc. Cursing shows a lack of control.

Feature, not bug. 

You know, it's ok to say that you just don't "get it" and excuse yourself from the conversation.

Posted Images

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

I'm sure it isn't across the country. Just telling you how it is here (in this particular environment). You are absolutely right that it is not helping us move forward. I'm only speaking about what I hear/see daily. It's different in this environment. As a matter of fact, you can drive south of the school where I teach (about 5 miles) and get a completely different environment.  

I get that, and I'm trying not to come across as if "you are the problem!" or anything like that.

Just… I hope it's taken more seriously, and that "it's not going anywhere" isn't prophetic, and that people don't accept that "it's not going anywhere."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jmanbooyaa said:

It is not going anywhere.  Maybe in time. Don’t know, but can be hopeful. 

This is exactly why RL is taking a stance. It spreads a powerful message to a larger mass. It helps tilt the scales, even if over time. 

Folks will still use it just like the n word I am sure is being used but they will know they are being dicks if they didn't know previously.

As far as RL dropping JT is concerned, from my perspective, he was contracted for a singular purpose - to be a brand ambassador, which I am sure is a larger image than just how the clothes look on someone. He dropped the ball on that spectacularly, intended or not. It's a tough consequence but I cannot see how RL could maintain JT and not actively sabotage the image they want to maintain. 

It does not matter if one think it hypocritical.

Now that there are 200 + comments in this thread and a unanimous this is not a good word.

When JT tees it up again, will be have a new apparel sponsor or not?

50 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

Now that there are 200 + comments in this thread and a unanimous this is not a good word.

I’m sure there are contract issues with it...but it seems a little much to be able to tell someone they can’t wear a shirt. They may not pay him to wear it...but what if he wore RL anyway?

5 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

I spend my whole day telling kids to stop cursing. Not just that particular word. They don't even realize that they are cursing most of the time because that's just the way they talk. If I wrote up every kid who swore in my classroom....they would all be suspended (as a matter of fact I have instructed not to by those who are higher up on the totem pole).  Unfortunately, their parents speak essentially the same way. Heck...many of the members at the club where I'm a member speak the same way.  That's where we are now.  Sorry Shorty. You are out of touch. 

Do you play golf with people who say "fa****" when they miss a putt? I hope not. And I get that no-one wants to be a "teacher" out of the classroom, but saying you live in a place where homophobia and acceptance of "hate speech" is the norm is a little concerning.

I know exactly what the situation is  - kids swear all of the time and it's normalised to the point where they don't even think they're swearing. They don't care and wonder why anyone, let alone a teacher would have an issue with it. But that's not what this is about, and I'm curious as to why you're putting swearing into the same conversation. 

Most schools accept that swearing is wrong and have policies about it. Hard to police and rarely anything beyond poor and immature use of language. Different issue.

They also have policies about discrimination, vilification, homophobia and violence. This is what this is about.

Any student who utters the word "f+++++" is hopelessly out of touch and would not fit in with the majority of students these days are totally cool with homosexuality and don't see it as a huge deal. And I understand that some states are not as progressive as others.

I know you aren't defending JT or saying he did nothing wrong, but if those at the top of the totem pole at your school think that "fa***" is a swear word, they need to be shifted down several places.

Edited by Shorty
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, jmanbooyaa said:

It looks like no new apparel sponsor yet. Blank shirt with a CITI Group logo on the sleeve.

I think many here would have an apoplectic seizure if they were at my work any time all the people were collected in the barn. Red, Black, white, brown, yellow, straight or not. Everything is fair game from ethnicity to sexual orientation. And we all love each other like family, as is pretty much the norm in difficult, hazardous occupations.

This bleeding heart taking offense at every perceived slight is nonsense. People need to quit looking for reasons to whine they are offended.

Edited by Esox
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Esox said:

I think many here would have an apoplectic seizure if they were at my work any time all the people were collected in the barn. Red, Black, white, brown, yellow, straight or not. Everything is fair game from ethnicity to sexual orientation. And we all love each other like family, as is pretty much the norm in difficult, hazardous occupations.

This bleeding heart taking offense at every perceived slight is nonsense. People need to quit looking for reasons to whine they are offended.

I'M OFFENDED!

Just kidding.

What goes on in "the barn" is off topic. I also agree with you that far too many people walk around all day trying to figure out what's going to offend them.

I think, however, you may be missing the point many of us are trying to make. I've said many times. I forgive JT for what he said (not that he cares what I think). I've also said many times it's 2021. He SHOULD HAVE known better. He made a mistake it will cost him. I've made mistakes that have cost me. I'm sure you've made mistakes that have costed you. 

In terms of RL dropping him. They had to. It was absolutely the right business decision. 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Esox said:

Yeah, no. I get what you're saying about people looking to be offended, but if someone calls a black person in your group the n-word, it sounds like that is understood within the group as having a certain kind of intent.

Not true when one person utters the word in front of hundreds of thousands, or millions, of people.

This isn't a "bleeding heart liberal" thing. It's just a word that has no place in an advanced society.

52 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yeah, no. I get what you're saying about people looking to be offended, but if someone calls a black person in your group the n-word, it sounds like that is understood within the group as having a certain kind of intent.

Not true when one person utters the word in front of hundreds of thousands, or millions, of people.

This isn't a "bleeding heart liberal" thing. It's just a word that has no place in an advanced society.

Agree. There are certain would whose sole intent is to demean. This is one of them. If he called himself a douche, we would just laugh.

4 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I'M OFFENDED!

I'm offended that you are offended!

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Agree. There are certain would whose sole intent is to demean. This is one of them. If he called himself a douche, we would just laugh.

Intent matters a lot. Certain words have a much smaller window of intent. In this case he said a word that has very few instances that it would be deemed acceptable. This was not one of those cases. 

TLDR;

Who here can actually say they did not yell something inappropriate when they got mad?  Granted JT should always presume he is on camera when playing in a tournament.  But let's be serious, I normally don't swear and don't like people who do just for the sake of swearing.  But when I get mad or upset, I will be the first one to say something inappropriate.  

IMHO, it's just a human nature.

I think JT said it without thinking.  Maybe that's what he says when he is upset.  When I am upset, I say "D@mn it!"  Just my choice of word when upset.  

I wouldn't take anything from anyone who is upset.

• Administrator
57 minutes ago, Yukari said:

TLDR;

The problem is everything you just said has been discussed several times already.

If you say the word he says and justify it by being upset then that’s not an acceptable excuse.

In this instance he didn’t yell f*** or shit or something like that.

It is NOT human nature to say that word, nor is it acceptable. That he said it without thinking belies that it’s easily accessible, top of mind.

1 hour ago, Yukari said:

Maybe that's what he says when he is upset. 

Then he needs to change that. And do it now. 

I say "Panther Piss!" as my interjection of choice when I'm angry. There's very little chance I'm going to offend a panther. 

That's just what he says when he gets upset is a terrible excuse... I mean really TERRIBLE. What if he said "Oh, go beat your wife!" When ever he got upset? Or "Kill a (insert racial slur here)!" When ever he gets upset. It's ridiculous to think "Oh that's just what he says when he's upset." 

25 minutes ago, iacas said:

It is NOT human nature to say that word, nor is it acceptable. That he said it without thinking belies that it’s easily accessible, top of mind.

I've been wondering if the friends he plays with use that word and so it became top of mind for him in that stressful moment.  Or worse yet, he picked it up from his Dad.  Hope not, in both cases.  But if it is the case what does that say about his friends or his Dad.  Just conjecturing here.  It had to come from somewhere.

• iacas changed the title to Justin Thomas Curses and in 2021 Uses Homophobic Slurs