IGNORED

What Type of Wood Is This?

saevel25
Note: This thread is 951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just bought a a house and I am trying to figure out the type of wood used for the cabinets. 

E98911CA-955A-4DBC-A2A3-56D8E9FDB0AE.jpeg

C5CD07D5-DB17-4E5C-A972-D1C0C25004CB.jpeg

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Some more pics

02956E4C-EAFE-46E1-B1E2-DF258800301F.jpeg

D9DC964E-0C01-48E3-9CF1-FB0739606E0F.jpeg

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

31 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

No expert but it may be oak.

Oak has very open pours. Imagine millions of soda straws glued together and then sliced diagonally. 

I can't tell from your photos. Look at the wood closely and at an angle. Like this:P_Site-Finished-Flooring-Red-Oak.thumb.jpg.4ee0d094a59b5ce644ac7a1865136929.jpg

If it's oak, you'll see the open pours. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Is there a non-stained side? Not oak. Could be cherry. These are cherry. Walnut is similar.

977C52A9-88C9-437F-AA46-96BE5292D5F7.jpeg

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

8 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Is there a non-stained side? Not oak. Could be cherry. These are cherry. Walnut is similar.

977C52A9-88C9-437F-AA46-96BE5292D5F7.jpeg

No, the back side is stained as well.

8B764F6E-A3EE-4170-B5B0-DAFEC40B8593.jpeg

here is a different angle.

4B85A08B-2D18-4675-BA25-A6DFABFF8E18.jpeg

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• iacas changed the title to What Type of Wood Is This?
  • Administrator

That's what she said.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Kind of looks like maple to me.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Changing my choice, going to The Father In Law for answer, he is a long time wood worker

Edited by djake

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

Iocaine! I’d bet my life on it!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I was expecting Persimmon or some thing like that when I clicked the thread, but it does not look like a golf club.

I have no clue.

Edited by StuM

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Matt, check with a local cabinet maker.
The cabinets were most likely from a local supplier.
Most cabinets are made of Oak or Maple or even a higher priced wood when an owner specs a specific type.
Your pics look like Mahogany or Walnut.

Here are other Cabinet Wood Types:
Maple, Cherry, Knotty Alder, Red Oak, Hickory, Birch, Knotty Pine, Mahogany, Walnut, Clear Alder and Oak.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

46 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Matt, check with a local cabinet maker.
The cabinets were most likely from a local supplier.
Most cabinets are made of Oak or Maple or even a higher priced wood when an owner specs a specific type.
Your pics look like Mahogany or Walnut.

Here are other Cabinet Wood Types:
Maple, Cherry, Knotty Alder, Red Oak, Hickory, Birch, Knotty Pine, Mahogany, Walnut, Clear Alder and Oak.

This is really good advice. 

As a long time woodworker and a guy who formerly owned his own custom cabinet business I can tell you I'm not sure. 

Here's why. Very often guys like me take cheaper woods and make them look like more premium wood. The best example I can think of is if you give me a pile of Birch, I can build you cabinets and tell you that they are Mahogany and you will never know that they aren't. 

Obviously nobody would ever confuse Maple with Oak or Pine with Ebony. But those are the far ends of the spectrum. A lot of cabinet grade lumber can be made to look very similar. 

Here are some tips. 

1 - Very often non-custom, but still high quality cabinets have a spec sticker on the bottom side of a drawer. Check for that first. If you find the spec or even the maker/product code, BOOM! You're done.  BTW - some manufactures put the sticker on the back of the drawer. 

2 - Check your sink base cabinet for a KCMA label. 

3 - Check the bottom of the wall cabinets or on an inside panel in the sink base cabinet. A lot of time the brand of the cabinet is marked there. Sometimes the color, door style, and construction of the cabinet will be there too. 

4 - If you end up getting just the brand name, you can get their catalog (either online or a real one) and try to match yours up. That's hit or miss, because a lot of times the maker will do just what I said and make a birch cabinet that looks like a mahogany or something of that ilk. But you may be able to figure it out. 

5 - If they are truly custom you will be able to tell because all of the faceplates between two cabinets will be seamless. Meaning the faceplates were put on after the cabinet boxes were installed. If your cabinets have those little lines between the doors or between the drawers than those cabinets were built in a factory or possibly a shop and installed, rather than boxes being custom built and facepates made on site. 

6 - If your cabinets are truly custom. Firstly, congratulations that's mighty rare. Secondly, you will have to contact the builder to find out who did the work. Unless they were like me and stamped (literally) their name and logo on the bottom of every drawer.

7 - If none of that works. You may have to cut into a piece. Fresh cut wood is far easier to identify. 

If you find this stamped on the bottom of the drawers, then I made them.

1644458552_chetscustom.thumb.jpg.131d9c731119a399fe3d8dec26e20374.jpg

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

6 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

6 - If your cabinets are truly custom. Firstly, congratulations that's mighty rare. Secondly, you will have to contact the builder to find out who did the work. Unless they were like me and stamped (literally) their name and logo on the bottom of every drawer.

I think this is the case. The previous owner did mention that cabinets were Amish-made. I checked a few drawers and such, and there isn't any markings on them. The drawers are mostly high end plywood. The face of the cabinets look to be hardwood of some kind. There is some areas were the finish has rubbed off and you can see the grain underneath.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!