IGNORED

2021 TST Birdie Challenge

iacas

Well... I have joined again.  I have a feeling that I will have a little more success than last year because I have joined a Spark Golf league at Sugar Hill Golf Club.  I know... I know... Spark Golf is not popular around these parts, but it's a start.  It's every Thursday afternoon starting April 1st, so I'll have at least nine chances every week to get a birdie.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I scored my first birdie ever, and I added my numbers to the spreadsheet.

It was on the 15th hole of Sienna GC (Las Vegas, NV), a 514 yard par 5 hole.
Here is a rundown:
- Driver: Landed me near a bunker in the rough
- 4 iron: close to the green to use the pitching wedge
- Pitching wedge: Messed up and landed exactly on the line between fringe and rough
- Putter: Very long put from the fringe/rough and it broke right into the hole (super lucky)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I added a birdie on a par 3 #17 (non home courses page) and it's funny that I now have 15, 16, 17 covered at the away courses and 16, 17 and 18 at the home course (plus another one at 10): I must be more accurate, or maybe luckier, at the end of my rounds, lol.

Crossed off two more this week: one on my home course (third hole, par 3) and the other on the away composite (seventh hole, par 3). Funny, out of the four birdies I’ve recorded so far this year, three of em have been on par 3s. A birdie’s a birdie for me though!

Chipped in for birdie on my home course #10. Hit a great drive, and only had a 80 yard partial wedge into the green. Chunked it a bit and came up short. My ball was in a swale below the hole, so I actually couldn't see the hole, only the top half of the flag stick. I hit a soft, lofted chip from about 10 yards that rolled into the hole. My playing partners said it landed about 1 yard from the hole and rattled in off the flagstick.

• Like 1

Ticked  off another couple on Friday, including being a foot away for a hole-in-one on a short par four. 
Not that I am I gun ,it’s a very good short Par 4,  trouble on all four sides, there is more fives made than threes. 

Added two new birdie holes with today's round; holes 4 and 5! 😁  ...and back-to-back birdies are a first for me as well! 🎉

It was windy, so there was lots of second-guessing clubs. 4 was a par-3 with a crosswind and I hit it to inside 10 ft and made the putt.  5 was a par-5 with a tailwind, and I was hole-high after two shots.

• Thumbs Up 1

Had a crazy 9 holes recently to add in birdies and an eagle.  Front 9 had 4 birdies, an eagle, 3 bogies, and 1 par.  Also played the back 9 a different time and eagled 11.  About the only highlight there.

Two birdies today!  ✌️ 😃

Both on holes I've already birdied... 😭  (12 and 16, both par-5s)

Otherwise, a lousy scoring round for me (91; five lost balls!), but still a fun day out.

back at it..   though I wont get to play for a while.   

really surprised to look back at last year's and see that I never birdied 18, which is a par 5.    gonna have to remedy that this year.  

• Administrator

Played three rounds. Made three birdies (and a lot of pars). Two of the birdies were on the same hole # (11).

These were in NC. My home course is open tomorrow and the next day, though.

I’m up to three birdies on my home course after making one on the second hole today. Had to make a 25-footer to get it too!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• Support TST Affiliates

TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
    • I was playing earlier this week with a neighbor. He and I were paired up with a couple of other guys. They were perfectly nice guys. One of them, lost a ball on the first hole. Oddly, we all thought he striped it down the middle of the fairway, but we couldn't find it anywhere. Anyway, he went back to the tee, hit a drive into the rough, hit an approach into the bunker, blasted out, 2 putted for a triple bogey. He parred the next 3 holes. Made a birdie on the toughest hole on the course (hole number 5). Then par, par, par. Before making another triple on hole 9. He finished the front 9 with a 5 over 41. Which he said was disappointing. I could see why. The triple on the first was bummer (a lost ball we all thought was down the middle.) The triple on the last was one of those hit it into trouble, tried to make the heroic save, got in more trouble, kind-of-deals.  The back nine, all of us parred hole 10, a par 5. (I was disappointed on this one as I reached the green in 2.) 3 putts suck! He topped his drive on 11. He saved bogie. Topped another drive on 12, saved par. 13 is a longish (188 yards) par 3. He topped another tee-shot this time with an iron. Then he hit into the bunker, knocked it out, 2 putted to a double bogey.  Then he took his bag off the cart and walked back to the club-house. He told his partner, he was losing his game and knew it wouldn't come back. So he just left.  His buddy told me and my neighbor that he plays with this guy all the time and that he can't remember how many times this guy has just given up mid-round and walked off. I guess it happens all the time.  We all spent the final 5 holes discussing whether it was better to just "walk off" the course when you don't feel you are playing well. Or to stick it out and try to recover. What do you all think?
    • So there's a booster for Moderna now? I thought they were saying the Moderna efficacy didn't drop like the prize one did? Like Pfizer dropped to 70 something but Moderna stayed in the 90s after 6 months?
    • Welcome to The Sand Trap! Thanks for posting. First, you are flexible and look pretty athletic, which helps. In the down the line swing, you can see you are coming in a little out-to-in or over the top, which can lead to the pull slices you mentioned. In the face on, you can see you also flip a bit, as you mentioned. You don’t shift your weight much forward during the downswing, which can cause this. Below are a couple of threads. First is the Five Simply Keys thread, 5SK. The 5SK are the common things all good golf swing have and is not a swing method, but a guide so to speak. Key 2, for example, is weight forward at impact. This may be something you should look at. There are video drills for each Key in the thread. The second thread was started by the site owner during the pandemic lockdown last year when courses were close. It is an excellent collection of drills to work on. The first five are full swing drills. They start with backswing and go through impact. Proper backswing sequence and position can help set up a good downswing sequence. Check them out. Lastly, We like to get to know our members here on TST and one of the things that helps is when members choose a unique avatar for themselves. Please add one (here's a guide to help if you're not sure how).    And we have lots of other topics here on the site. Check them out as well and join in the conversations.  
    • I don’t know enough about it to answer intelligently, but it seems a bit different  than what my instructors want me to do. An example is the long arc drill where we try to slow down release or wrist turnover through to A9 and keep palmar flexion a bit longer. This would keep the face open longer. For me, it may be because it would help my face to path be more consistent at impact. It seems to be a timing scenario if you let the face rotate freely. I think it should be ‘happens’ but training it with gate drills for start line may help. if I use my ‘spirit animal’ PGA Pro example, from my Evolvr instructor, I would say the number would be a lot less. It’s hard to tell from the image below, but it looks like Zack’s face is more closed at A6. So basically, I will do what my instructor tells me I should do.😀
    • Been around for way longer than that pre 1900 The Urquehart -  Antique Golf Clubs from Scotland: Clubmakers  
  • Today's Birthdays

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...