IGNORED

2022 PGA Championship at Southern Hills

iacas

Just now, Darkfrog said:

Faldo re: JT’s putt on 18 in the playoff: The smart thing is to try and hole it.

Isn’t that usually what they’re trying to do?

I sometimes try to convince people that I wasn't trying to hole that putt in an effort to explain my performance.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, Darkfrog said:

Faldo re: JT’s putt on 18 in the playoff: The smart thing is to try and hole it.

Faldo wins the Master of the Obvious award!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

YES JT!!!!!!!!!! Amazing!!!!!!

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

3 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

Faldo made sense. All he  needed to do was  get  it  close to win. Trying to hole  it rather than just trying to get  close  makes sense.

Same dumb schtick since joining.

3 minutes ago, jxdama said:

Faldo made sense. All he  needed to do was  get  it  close to win. Trying to hole  it rather than just trying to get  close  makes sense.

Or more fitting for Faldo: ‘ Hope you’re still in it by your opponent missing a tap in.’ 😀

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, jxdama said:

Every  tourney should  be a test  of  golf  like this.

No. It's a major.

6 minutes ago, jxdama said:

And no.

1' short is better than 3.5' by the hole. When you "try to make it" you push your intended distance past the hole.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

18 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

He had two putts to win the tournament. I’m going to go with no.

The #1 objective there is to absolutely not 3-putt. Lag it.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

23 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Or more fitting for Faldo: ‘ Hope you’re still in it by your opponent missing a tap in.’ 😀

You don’t win 6 majors  because they were gifted. Would you say JT was gifted this after Pererria gassed it?

Stevie T

14 minutes ago, Beastie said:

You don’t win 6 majors  because they were gifted. Would you say JT was gifted this after Pererria gassed it?

No, just three of them. Faldo In his playoff with Hoch hit a poor tee shot, poor approach, poor chip and a poor putt. Hoch missed an 18” putt for the Faldo win. Yes it’s golf as we saw today. Hitting an errant tee shot? Quite common. Poor approach? Quite common. Missing an 18” putt to win? Extremely rare. That was profound luck for Faldo.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Oh wow, sounds like it was a great finish with twists.  Gonna have to catch the replays.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

3 hours ago, nevets88 said:

What’s weird about this is the broadcast did say it’s Fitz standard warm up so, I guess pot meet kettle and that doesn’t fit Rapaports narrative. But I agree it it doesn’t jive to place blame on Fitz short warmup. 

I thought Faldo's comments about the final putt were referring to the fact that it was a fast, downhill putt. I believe he said that you "don't want to overdo it either way, not run it 4 feet past or leave it 6 feet short" or something like that. 

Alot of these comments, when you hear them afterwards or think about them, sound sort of stupid, or obvious. Azinger has had dozens of these. I remember an excited Jack Buck calling the baseball playoffs and remarking that some player's hit in the gap would be "at least a triple!" Huh?

I think what Faldo was trying to convey is that if you start to think "just get this close," you run the risk of leaving it well short or being careless with direction. Instead, keep your focus, zero in, and try to make it. Trying to "make it" when it's a downhill, slick putt means that you are, by definition, careful, that you make sure you judge the distance correctly, rather than being "aggressive" with pace. But I don't know. Maybe he was just babbling and being dumb. 

It was a great tournament. A friend and I who text throughout final rounds said at the beginning of the round just as Zalatoris teed off "I'll take 7 under." 

My predictions were wrong. 🙂 Well, I predicted Mito not win; I thought he would play ok but have his worst round of the tournament, and someone would pass him. My picks were Fitzpatrick and McIlroy. WRONG. I also said "Zalatoris will play well, but putt his way out of it." Nope. His ball striking was pretty bad on several holes. 

I was surprised at how many missed greens there were from the last 4 groups on the back 9. At least it seemed that way. But it was a very hard course. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

14 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

Yes, but it is legit if spoken by a knight of the empire. 

14 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Thomas did play the best in the final round in regulation. 

I think everyone watching him prepare to hit his tee shot on 18 and then the first of his two putts to win could feel his every heartbeat. But yeah, I had to catch the whole thing from14th hole onwards on replay and he was so solid. 

With all due respect to Pereira (and my heart goes out to him) but I am glad JT won. Very deserving and IMHO golf needs the stars to win more and def the big ones like the PGA. Golf as a whole did alright yesterday. 

On a different note Pereira had my respect when he came out and talked to Amanda after the collapse. Solid and classy. If it were me, they would find me head first in a toilet bowl trying to drown myself. Good guy. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Vishal S.