IGNORED

Where do You Put the Head Covers During a Shot?

StogiesAndBogeys
Note: This thread is 1066 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Head covers during putts or shots  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you put your head cover when you take out your putter?

• Pocket
    • Ground
    • On top of Bag
    • Cart
    • Other
  2. 2. What do you do with your Driver/3/4 head covers during a shot?

• Pocket
    • Ground
    • On top of Bag
    • Take off before round and replace after round
    • Cart
    • Other

11 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

- tossing all the covers in the cart basket.

What would even be the point of owning headcovers if you’re gonna do that? I’m baffled.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, my feeling is head cover protect the thin wall and the finish on "woods"/hybrids", random marks on the top are also a distraction while setting up for a shot.

I do all of the above except putting them in my pocket

9 hours ago, Carl3 said:

Once upon a time there were a lot more woods with numbers closer together:

image.jpeg.baf3e08ffe34693f3a09fc78c1e44b19.jpeg

head covers would help to keep you mistaking your 1 wood from your 2 wood  or your 3 wood from 4 wood.

image.jpeg.9cf16ffc52d5c4083a9bcc45a4ead42e.jpeg

Are still playing those beautiful Persimmons?  Head covers would have kept them from club chatter and the irons beating them up

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I put them in my back right pocket.  My snot rag occupies the left back pocket.

• Funny 2

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Let me start by saying I've never left a headcover on the course. I've also never left a golf club behind on a hole. But I've played with many folks who have. 

My driver headcover nearly always goes into the slot in the bag where the driver was. Same with the 3 wood and any other woods or hybrids which may be in the bag that day. I always always always put the cover back on my woods after each use.

Because I'm conscious of other folks who may be in a big hurry behind me and I know that sometimes I'm a little anal about how my clubs are stuck into the bag, I have been known on occasion to jump in the cart (if we're using one) and put the head cover back on the club as I ride, or just hold onto the head cover and wood as I drive. Then I neatly slip the weapon of choice back in the bag once I get to the next shot. 

The putter headcover is a different story. The putter headcover almost always comes to the green with me. They I frisbee toss my headcover to some location near the green's fringe between my putt and my bag. No idea why I do this but I do. I've seen in my course vlogs and I'm pretty sure I do it 99 times out of 100. The only exception is when I bring extra weapons with me greenside. For example a club to chip with or something like that. Then I put the putter headcover with the extra weapons, again, generally on a line between the hole and my bag. 

Once again, I've been known to hold my putter and headcover as I drive to the next teebox where at that time I'll re-sheath the putter and put it in it's proper location back in the bag. I know I like my bag with everything in its proper location and I always always always cover my putter and driver when not in use. 

• Upvote 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Played a round yesterday and rode in a cart.  Driver/hybrid headcovers usually got tossed in the basket before each shot.

Putter cover had much more variety. Placed on the alignment sticks sometimes, shoved halfway into the bag others.  Any time I was off the green on my approach however, putter cover stays on and it just goes on the ground with the wedges while putting.

Friend had a different but efficient method, putter cover is tossed on the ground just outside of the cart while walking to the green so he was to walk over it on the way back.

Edited by Golfingdad

I take the headcover off when I am using a club and either drape it over my alignment sticks or in the basket if I am riding. I then replace it after the shot. My putter cover gets stuck to the little velcro strip on my bag.

I stuff the putter cover into the top of the bag.  I put the headcovers for my driver, three wood, and hybrid onto the alignment sticks.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

• 3 weeks later...

For the Putter I voted "Other" since I lost it years ago and do not have one.  For others I voted "Cart".  I would place them on the seat so that I have to put it back on before I could sit back down.  For this coming season I am planning to walk more often so I will need to find a different place to put them

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

13 minutes ago, StuM said:

For the Putter I voted "Other" since I lost it years ago and do not have one.  For others I voted "Cart".  I would place them on the seat so that I have to put it back on before I could sit back down.  For this coming season I am planning to walk more often so I will need to find a different place to put them

Lost your putter or lost your putter head cover?  If it's the former I bet you could bring your handicap down if you had a putter.

• Funny 3

4 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Lost your putter or lost your putter head cover?  If it's the former I bet you could bring your handicap down if you had a putter.

Yes, I still have the putter.  But given my lack of skill with the putter it may have helped if I did lose it.

• Funny 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Driver = off at 1st tee, on after 18 tee

3w = in cart basket, back on after shot

4 thru 8 hybrid (knit) = in pocket, back on after shot

putter = in putter well, back on after putting

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

27 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

Driver = off at 1st tee, on after 18 tee

3w = in cart basket, back on after shot

4 thru 8 hybrid (knit) = in pocket, back on after shot

putter = in putter well, back on after putting

I'm confused.  I thought head covers were to protect against dents and dings.  Please supply a photo of the top of your driver.  😁

When walking, I just drape the headcover for the club in use over the top of the other clubs. If I'm in a cart, I'll usually just stick it on my seat, because sometimes you want to get in the cart and go rather than putting it back and then driving away.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I'm confused.  I thought head covers were to protect against dents and dings.  Please supply a photo of the top of your driver.  😁

I've had my driver five years now without any scratches or dents in it as a result of having the head cover in the cart basket. It seems like most of the people I see playing do the same thing. I'm not sure how  I get a dent in the top of the driver anyway? Actually, the driver isn't affected with so-called bag chatter because it extends higher than every other club. The only way it would get a dent in it would be slamming a club back in the bag wildly, or something like that. If you want, I will take a photo of it though.

Edited by Billy Z

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Note: This thread is 1066 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!