IGNORED

Have You Ever Carried a 'Gimmick' Club in Your Bag?

Note: This thread is 1172 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Have You Ever Carried A Gimmick Club In Your Bag?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Have You Ever Carried A Gimmick Club In Your Bag?

• No, I've never even tried any of them.
    • No, But I've tested some.
    • Yes, I carried one for a while but it didn't work out.
    • Yes, I carry one now.
    • Yes, I currently carry more than one.

20 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

In my opinion, I don't think the high-toe classifies as a "gimmick". I was thinking more about the as seen on tv clubs, or clubs that used to be sold on the last couple of pages of golf magazines, or anything with Jack Hamm in the commercial. 

However, as I did leave room for your own interpretation. You can classify the high toe anyway you'd like. 

Well, the only other club that comes to mind is a F2 wedge. This was when I was just starting out and couldn't tell a golf club from a baseball bat.

I remember F2 infomercials were all over TV and they sure as hell had unique  construction so I would think it would classify.

Long story short it didn't make sense to me that the shaft of a traditional club was attached to the side and bottom of the club head. Seemed like a weird off center axis way to move the mass. I saw a used F2 wedge at the Golfsmith I used to frequent. The F2 wedge shaft attachment made more sense as it's axis pierced closer to the middle of the club head mass and was higher up the face so it was more of pushing of mass type phenomenon. After all, face balanced putters were/are legit for a reason so I figured it would only make sense for the remaining clubs too. Lol.

Long story short, the Golfsmith guy let me borrow it for a round and I quickly realized that it performed no differently than my traditional wedge. I still fatted and skulled most of my chips like a beginner would. It didn't quite pan out the way it had playedout in my head. Go figure. Ha ha.

I returned it the next day.

Oh, and this one time, at band camp, I bought a set of used Wilson Fat shaft set for kicks. Ja ja..

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Well, the only other club that comes to mind is a F2 wedge. This was when I was just starting out and couldn't tell a golf club from a baseball bat.

I remember F2 infomercials were all over TV and they sure as hell had unique  construction so I would think it would classify.

Long story short it didn't make sense to me that the shaft of a traditional club was attached to the side and bottom of the club head. Seemed like a weird off center axis way to move the mass. I saw a used F2 wedge at the Golfsmith I used to frequent. The F2 wedge shaft attachment made more sense as it's axis pierced closer to the middle of the club head mass and was higher up the face so it was more of pushing of mass type phenomenon. After all, face balanced putters were/are legit for a reason so I figured it would only make sense for the remaining clubs too. Lol.

Long story short, the Golfsmith guy let me borrow it for a round and I quickly realized that it performed no differently than my traditional wedge. I still fatted and skulled most of my chips like a beginner would. It didn't quite pan out the way it had playedout in my head. Go figure. Ha ha.

I returned it the next day.

Oh, and this one time, at band camp, I bought a set of used Wilson Fat shaft set for kicks. Ja ja..

F2 wedge DEFNITELY qualifies. I once played with a guy who had a whole bag of F2 irons and wedges. 

I actually had a set of Fat Shaft Wilsons as well. I got them second hand and sold them 3rd hand. I'm not sure I ever took them out on the course. But I remember buying them for some reason. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• 2 weeks later...

Remember the old Stan Thompson Ginty? I found a Maple laminate version of the 7 wood at the Salvation Army back in about 2007. Hell I had a Wilson Staff Clima-Gard 4 wood in my bag from 2007-2009 I found for $2. The Ginty lasted about 2 holes.... I also tried those Heavy Putters for a while... actually had 4 different models of that.

At one point about 4 years ago, I had 17 different putters, including a Cure RX2. You could set it at 80° Lie and it would set on the green without you their. It had a truly adjustable lie. 

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

6 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Remember the old Stan Thompson Ginty? I found a Maple laminate version of the 7 wood at the Salvation Army back in about 2007. Hell I had a Wilson Staff Clima-Gard 4 wood in my bag from 2007-2009 I found for $2. The Ginty lasted about 2 holes.... I also tried those Heavy Putters for a while... actually had 4 different models of that.

At one point about 4 years ago, I had 17 different putters, including a Cure RX2. You could set it at 80° Lie and it would set on the green without you their. It had a truly adjustable lie. 

Oh man, that reminds me. I had a heavy putter for one season. I totally forgot about that. 

Even to this day, I still tend to prefer a heavier putter. 

Speaking of "The Heavy Putter". I found this review which was, I believe, written by @iacas way back in 2005. 

B3 Heavy Putter Review (Clubs, Review) - The Sand Trap

I have to say, I agree with this review. It is exactly the way I remember "The Heavy Putter". I even had the exact same model that @iacas tested to write this up. Anyway, The Heavy Putter was in my bag for about half a season. 

“Guilty as charged”.  I have carried a Heavy Putter in my beg for what seems like an eternity.  I’ve tried other putters on many occasions but I am so used to the extra weight I never stick with them.  However, I just read Erik’s review I see a few similarities in my putting so maybe that is part of my putting issues.  

A new season is coming and I will be taking AimPoint so maybe now is time to make a change.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Is an 8 hybrid a gimmick club? How about 5 hybrids in my bag? 

Driver
     Putter                       
      4w   16.5°   210 yds
      4h    21°      190 yds
      5h    24°      180 yds
      6h    27°      170 yds
      7h    30°      160 yds
      8h    33°       150 yds
      8i     35°       140 yds
      9i     40°       130 yds
      pw   45°       120 yds
      aw   50°       110 yds
      sw   54°       50-100 yds
      lw    58°        50  yds

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

I had an Alien wedge for a few rounds it did work out of the bunker. They are not a lot different from the Sure Out wedges that are sold today. I have a set of Cleveland Turbo Launchers 6 through PW, are they a gimmick club? I actually play pretty well with them off wet ground shoot same as my Callaway Mavriks 

12 minutes ago, Groundhog34 said:

. I have a set of Cleveland Turbo Launchers 6 through PW, are they a gimmick club?

Maybe not a ‘gimmick’ but an absolute abomination of golf club design. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

You giys forgot the Stan Thompson "Ginty"!  It had the loft of a 7 wood, and the sole plate was Vee shaped to get in the crap and get more club face on the ball.  I used one for a while till I tried to hit out of a steep fairway  bunker with one.  The sand was shallow and there was hard pan beneath it.  When I hit the ball, the club head broke off and went farther than the ball!  Now my only gimmick club is my putter, but I'm thinking of leaving it in the car and put a pool cue in my bag when I play!

On 2/13/2021 at 7:42 AM, StuM said:

“Guilty as charged”.  I have carried a Heavy Putter in my beg for what seems like an eternity.  I’ve tried other putters on many occasions but I am so used to the extra weight I never stick with them.  However, I just read Erik’s review I see a few similarities in my putting so maybe that is part of my putting issues.  

A new season is coming and I will be taking AimPoint so maybe now is time to make a change.

Are you close to Carl's or Miles of Golf?   They have plenty of different putters in all shapes and sizes.  If you are going to buy a new putter, spend the extra $$ and get fitted.   You'll be surprised at your current alignment and speed control.    A fitted putter is worth the investment.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

24 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Are you close to Carl's or Miles of Golf?   They have plenty of different putters in all shapes and sizes.  If you are going to buy a new putter, spend the extra $$ and get fitted.   You'll be surprised at your current alignment and speed control.    A fitted putter is worth the investment.  

I usually go to Carl’s in Bloomfield Hills

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

I've never carried one (or ever really considered one), but I have messed around with chippers at the local golf shop once or twice.

I put "No, but I've tested some."

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I voted yes but it didn’t work out.  I had a driver given to me when I was in college (or thereabouts) that I used for a short while that I think would qualify as gimmicky.  It was “Bullet” brand and it was missing the middle section.  I found a photo - the “Hollow Point Bullet”.  When you looked down at it from address, the clubhead was a C shape.  Ridiculous.

64C144FB-707B-44C8-9A6C-A73F06F44036.png

On 2/15/2021 at 5:45 PM, Vinsk said:

Maybe not a ‘gimmick’ but an absolute abomination of golf club design. 

I must be getting old, I kind of like them. 

5 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

I voted yes but it didn’t work out.  I had a driver given to me when I was in college (or thereabouts) that I used for a short while that I think would qualify as gimmicky.  It was “Bullet” brand and it was missing the middle section.  I found a photo - the “Hollow Point Bullet”.  When you looked down at it from address, the clubhead was a C shape.  Ridiculous.

64C144FB-707B-44C8-9A6C-A73F06F44036.png

Wow! That’s a “gateway” club to THE HAMMER!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 1172 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!