IGNORED

Broke 80 for the First Time! A 76! Woohoo!

BamaWade
Note: This thread is 1034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Congratulations.  That’s a huge accomplishment that most golfers never achieve!

• Thumbs Up 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Great shooting, congrats! 😀

• Thumbs Up 1

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

Nicely done!  Looking forward to seeing you on the other side of 75 someday :-) 

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

6 hours ago, BamaWade said:

wade-whoo.thumb.jpg.316b0606318b2df43297188d58bc98e7.jpg

So, that's my "Whoo!" face, haha.

It took me 30+ years, but I finally broke 80.  Okay….SMASHED 80!  That’s a 76!

If you can see the scorecard, you can see it was a rough (or normal, for me) start.  In fact, I pretty much topped my opening 3w off the tee.  Then on the 4th tee I took a practice swing where I let the clubhead release properly and it hit me like a bolt of lightning.  From there, was picking really specific targets off the tee and it seemed like I hit virtually every one.  Yeah, only 1 birdie (my putting was 'meh'...and see more about hole 17 below...grr!), but no doubles.  12/14 fairways, 11/18 GIRs (with 4 more fringe/nGIRs), and 32 putts.

I paid zero attention to the card.  Seriously.  Had no clue of my score until I thought about it on 16 and knew I had to be close, but didn't tally it.  Then, after a chunky-ish 5i off 17, I hit my 4-hybrid to 8' from 187y!  Hit what I thought was my best putt of the day, only to have it hang half over the lip.  And it was a downhiller!  I didn't wait 10 seconds, because it was getting dark (I don't think it would've dropped).  But I almost holed out on 18 and tapped my closing birdie in to finish in style, and figured that got me there...or better.

This feels so amazing.  I play a lot of sports even at 45yo, but am a mediocre athlete.  I've always known I was capable, as I hit it really well when I'm on, but just have never been able to maintain 'on'.  Probably 12-15 years ago, I had a handful of 81s within a few years, then nothing close since.  I sprinkle in a few 83s and 84s from time to time, but scramble for those.  But this year has been rough.  Shot a 93 with my dad a few weeks ago that honestly had the ball striking of a 100+ round...I just scrambled half-decent.  It made me want to put the clubs away.

I had a key thought going in to have the feel of covering the ball better.  It's what I'd done towards the end of my last round, and started really hitting it well.  But I started today with several tight-feeling block fades.  Once I finally had that feeling of releasing the clubhead, it just clicked.  Then, I could just whale on 'em every time up with no fear.

Yeah, I know all about regression to the mean.  But definitely gonna enjoy the night!  This was a true bucket list item I had almost given up on attaining.  For you guys that do it regularly, much respect.  And for you guys still chasing it...don't give up!  Mods--GIVE THIS BOY HIS "BROKE 80" BADGE!!  🤩

Good for you. Congratulations. 

People who don't golf, don't get it. 

As a person who's not naturally good at golf, I can really appreciate the achievement. Seriously, it IS a great feeling and a great achievement. ENJOY

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Congratulations! But, can you quit looking so dang smug about it?   😁  Seriously - go out and do it again!

• Thumbs Up 1

Congratulations! Best post of the week! Like you said, you didn't just break 80, you crushed it.  If anything, you mentally have made it to a new level. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

A big congratulations to you! I have a good golf buddy who finally broke 80 in the same fashion, by shooting a 76. The kicker is that two weeks later on a more difficult course he shot 76 again!

• Thumbs Up 1

That's awesome mate. That is a huge goal of mine too. 83 is my best so far. I'm quietly confident I'll do it this year but I thought that last year too 😂. Delighted for you 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks to everyone who let me share the moment with ya.  @David in FL, @paperclip, @measureoffsetinnm, @Shindig, @ChetlovesMer, @Zippo, @TourSpoon, @overfade, @Double Mocha Man, @Nail, and @ncates00--thanks for the comments and encouragement!  

On 5/14/2021 at 2:19 PM, Nail said:

That's awesome mate. That is a huge goal of mine too. 83 is my best so far. I'm quietly confident I'll do it this year but I thought that last year too 😂. Delighted for you 

You'll definitely get there.  Maybe when ya least expect it--then...boom!

On 5/14/2021 at 8:44 AM, Zippo said:

Congratulations! But, can you quit looking so dang smug about it?   😁  Seriously - go out and do it again!

Haha.  Thanks, Zippo.  My wife took a 'normal smile' pic, and, well...let's just say I'm not photogenic.  'Whoo! face' won out. ;-)

Wade

• Like 2

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Sorry I’m late to the party…but damn….congrats! That’s awesome!

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Congratulations!  That is an achievement that I've never had.

Oh yeah... and... ROLL TIDE!

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

• iacas changed the title to Broke 80 for the First Time! A 76! Woohoo!
1 hour ago, bwdial said:

Congratulations!  That is an achievement that I've never had.

Oh yeah... and... ROLL TIDE!

Thanks, @bwdial.  And ROLL TIDE!  Been a great year so far Bama athletics.  Hoping the softball gals go all the way to OKC and have a chance to bring in another trophy to title town. 

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Note: This thread is 1034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!