IGNORED

What do You do With Lies That Can Damage Clubs?

Nyrangers1022
Note: This thread is 1040 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey everyone,  yesterday, my gap wedge found rocks under the surface and dinged it good.  If I knew there were rocks, I would have moved it a couple inches being I'm just a casual weekend warrior that doesn't track handicap.  What do you all do if you come across a situation,  where your ball is next to rocks,  roots or anything else that can damage clubs from the ground. (Not talking about trees interfering with swing).  I got friends that also play casually, but call me a cheater, blah blah blah.    Sorry, I pay to play, pay for my equipment and I won't win anything.    Obviously tourney rules have their strict set of rules, but we aren't playing for money or anything.    If If we would play for money, I would give relief to my partner in these situations,  as long as I do to

I'd call it ground under repair and take the appropriate relief it it's in the fairway. If it's in the rough or worse, call it as your opponents see fit.  I think a stroke for being where you shouldn't be is more fair than an unplayable lie....

Edited by Esox

Take an unplayable lie. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Esox said:

I'd call it ground under repair and take the appropriate relief it it's in the fairway. If it's in the rough or worse, call it as your opponents see fit.  I think a stroke for being where you shouldn't be is more fair than an unplayable lie....

That's known as cheating. You don't get to define GUR.

If it's a proper round he can take an unplayable lie.

Your opponents or playing partners have nothing to do with it

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I have a Titleist 9 iron I bought for $1 at a second-hand sports store. All kinds of dings on the clubhead when I bought it.  Some courses around here have a lot of rocks in the rough, so taking relief (stroke penalty or not) would be yards away.

So I swing away unless I think I’ll injure myself. 

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

9 minutes ago, Shorty said:

That's known as cheating. You don't get to define GUR.

If it's a proper round he can take an unplayable lie.

Your opponents or playing partners have nothing to do with it

As the OP stated, it's not a "proper round".

If you're just out practicing on the course, do what you want. Use a foot wedge, hand wedge, whatever. Your playing partners have nothing to do with it unless....

you're playing for score or for beers (who buys is important) afterward. Then take an unplayable lie. You can move the ball and drop from knee height up to two club lengths (mark your original position and use your driver to measure) from the original spot no nearer the hole with a one stroke penalty. Also if you're in a bunker with a really really bad lie, you can drop behind the bunker in line with the hole for a 2 stroke penalty, and now you can remove loose impediments like leaves, sticks, apple cores, and stones in the bunker near your ball as long as you don't touch the sand with your hand. 

If I'm playing a practice round I'll use a foot wedge. Practice round = round not played under the rules of golf. Solo rounds are practice rounds. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

4 hours ago, Nyrangers1022 said:

Hey everyone,  yesterday, my gap wedge found rocks under the surface and dinged it good.  If I knew there were rocks, I would have moved it a couple inches being I'm just a casual weekend warrior that doesn't track handicap.  What do you all do if you come across a situation,  where your ball is next to rocks,  roots or anything else that can damage clubs from the ground. (Not talking about trees interfering with swing).  I got friends that also play casually, but call me a cheater, blah blah blah.    Sorry, I pay to play, pay for my equipment and I won't win anything.    Obviously tourney rules have their strict set of rules, but we aren't playing for money or anything.    If If we would play for money, I would give relief to my partner in these situations,  as long as I do to

If you’re playing for fun (not under the rules of golf), do whatever you want.

If I’m playing an “official” round for handicap/tournament, I’ll take an unplayable from any lie where I feel like I might damage my equipment or injure myself. Injury or monetary loss is simply not worth it to me with nothing significant at stake. If I’m playing a casual round with friends, I’ll move the ball.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

The course I play at most frequently has local rules that deal with this.  There are some areas that have really deteriorated due to the hilliness and poor drainage, and most of the bunkers are water hazards, so you are able to take relief in a lot of these situations.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

15 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Take an unplayable lie. 

This^. Also, I think more about hurting me than my clubs. I would also consider just blading it out with a wedge or something.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I always play it by the rules of golf.  Even for a practice round.  It forces me think of what I would do in a round that matters.  Sometimes I am willing to take a penalty, not because of the risk of damage to my club, but more because I might hit a bad shot and wind up in a worse position than taking a penalty drop.  And no, I don't have enough Vitamin M that I can afford to damage and then replace a club or entire set.  I still use a set of Taylor Made RAC OS irons which are over 15 years old.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

17 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Take an unplayable lie. 

This.

19 hours ago, Nyrangers1022 said:

Golf has an unplayable lie rule just for this situation. I'm not sure why you wouldn't use it. 

7 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

I always play it by the rules of golf.  Even for a practice round.  It forces me think of what I would do in a round that matters.  Sometimes I am willing to take a penalty, not because of the risk of damage to my club, but more because I might hit a bad shot and wind up in a worse position than taking a penalty drop.  And no, I don't have enough Vitamin M that I can afford to damage and then replace a club or entire set.  I still use a set of Taylor Made RAC OS irons which are over 15 years old.

Personally, I like to have a few nicks and scratches on my wedges. They are like badges of courage. For me a scratch on my wedge is good. ... Where as an idiot mark on the top of my driver is .... well not good. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

21 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Take an unplayable lie. 

I think this is the wisest choice.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

14 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

I think this is the wisest choice.

It would depend on the lie. On a cart path, if a drop would be horrible, I would just hit the ball off the cart path. 

If it's like a tree root that would just bend the crap out of my club, I would take an unplayable lie. 

Edited by saevel25

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• iacas changed the title to What do You do With Lies That Can Damage Clubs?
Note: This thread is 1040 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!