Jump to content
IGNORED

What do You do With Lies That Can Damage Clubs?


Recommended Posts

Hey everyone,  yesterday, my gap wedge found rocks under the surface and dinged it good.  If I knew there were rocks, I would have moved it a couple inches being I'm just a casual weekend warrior that doesn't track handicap.  What do you all do if you come across a situation,  where your ball is next to rocks,  roots or anything else that can damage clubs from the ground. (Not talking about trees interfering with swing).  I got friends that also play casually, but call me a cheater, blah blah blah.    Sorry, I pay to play, pay for my equipment and I won't win anything.    Obviously tourney rules have their strict set of rules, but we aren't playing for money or anything.    If If we would play for money, I would give relief to my partner in these situations,  as long as I do to

Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

I'd call it ground under repair and take the appropriate relief it it's in the fairway. If it's in the rough or worse, call it as your opponents see fit.  I think a stroke for being where you shouldn't be is more fair than an unplayable lie....

Edited by Esox
Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's gonna hurt me or my club, I move it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Esox said:

I'd call it ground under repair and take the appropriate relief it it's in the fairway. If it's in the rough or worse, call it as your opponents see fit.  I think a stroke for being where you shouldn't be is more fair than an unplayable lie....

That's known as cheating. You don't get to define GUR.

If it's a proper round he can take an unplayable lie.

Your opponents or playing partners have nothing to do with it

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Titleist 9 iron I bought for $1 at a second-hand sports store. All kinds of dings on the clubhead when I bought it.  Some courses around here have a lot of rocks in the rough, so taking relief (stroke penalty or not) would be yards away.

So I swing away unless I think I’ll injure myself. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, Shorty said:

That's known as cheating. You don't get to define GUR.

If it's a proper round he can take an unplayable lie.

Your opponents or playing partners have nothing to do with it

 

As the OP stated, it's not a "proper round".

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're just out practicing on the course, do what you want. Use a foot wedge, hand wedge, whatever. Your playing partners have nothing to do with it unless....

you're playing for score or for beers (who buys is important) afterward. Then take an unplayable lie. You can move the ball and drop from knee height up to two club lengths (mark your original position and use your driver to measure) from the original spot no nearer the hole with a one stroke penalty. Also if you're in a bunker with a really really bad lie, you can drop behind the bunker in line with the hole for a 2 stroke penalty, and now you can remove loose impediments like leaves, sticks, apple cores, and stones in the bunker near your ball as long as you don't touch the sand with your hand. 

If I'm playing a practice round I'll use a foot wedge. Practice round = round not played under the rules of golf. Solo rounds are practice rounds. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, Nyrangers1022 said:

Hey everyone,  yesterday, my gap wedge found rocks under the surface and dinged it good.  If I knew there were rocks, I would have moved it a couple inches being I'm just a casual weekend warrior that doesn't track handicap.  What do you all do if you come across a situation,  where your ball is next to rocks,  roots or anything else that can damage clubs from the ground. (Not talking about trees interfering with swing).  I got friends that also play casually, but call me a cheater, blah blah blah.    Sorry, I pay to play, pay for my equipment and I won't win anything.    Obviously tourney rules have their strict set of rules, but we aren't playing for money or anything.    If If we would play for money, I would give relief to my partner in these situations,  as long as I do to

If you’re playing for fun (not under the rules of golf), do whatever you want.

If I’m playing an “official” round for handicap/tournament, I’ll take an unplayable from any lie where I feel like I might damage my equipment or injure myself. Injury or monetary loss is simply not worth it to me with nothing significant at stake. If I’m playing a casual round with friends, I’ll move the ball.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The course I play at most frequently has local rules that deal with this.  There are some areas that have really deteriorated due to the hilliness and poor drainage, and most of the bunkers are water hazards, so you are able to take relief in a lot of these situations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
15 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Take an unplayable lie. 

This^. Also, I think more about hurting me than my clubs. I would also consider just blading it out with a wedge or something.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I always play it by the rules of golf.  Even for a practice round.  It forces me think of what I would do in a round that matters.  Sometimes I am willing to take a penalty, not because of the risk of damage to my club, but more because I might hit a bad shot and wind up in a worse position than taking a penalty drop.  And no, I don't have enough Vitamin M that I can afford to damage and then replace a club or entire set.  I still use a set of Taylor Made RAC OS irons which are over 15 years old.

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Take an unplayable lie. 

This.

19 hours ago, Nyrangers1022 said:

Hey everyone,  yesterday, my gap wedge found rocks under the surface and dinged it good.  If I knew there were rocks, I would have moved it a couple inches being I'm just a casual weekend warrior that doesn't track handicap.  What do you all do if you come across a situation,  where your ball is next to rocks,  roots or anything else that can damage clubs from the ground. (Not talking about trees interfering with swing).  I got friends that also play casually, but call me a cheater, blah blah blah.    Sorry, I pay to play, pay for my equipment and I won't win anything.    Obviously tourney rules have their strict set of rules, but we aren't playing for money or anything.    If If we would play for money, I would give relief to my partner in these situations,  as long as I do to

Golf has an unplayable lie rule just for this situation. I'm not sure why you wouldn't use it. 

7 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

I always play it by the rules of golf.  Even for a practice round.  It forces me think of what I would do in a round that matters.  Sometimes I am willing to take a penalty, not because of the risk of damage to my club, but more because I might hit a bad shot and wind up in a worse position than taking a penalty drop.  And no, I don't have enough Vitamin M that I can afford to damage and then replace a club or entire set.  I still use a set of Taylor Made RAC OS irons which are over 15 years old.

Personally, I like to have a few nicks and scratches on my wedges. They are like badges of courage. For me a scratch on my wedge is good. ... Where as an idiot mark on the top of my driver is .... well not good. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Take an unplayable lie. 

I think this is the wisest choice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
14 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

I think this is the wisest choice.

It would depend on the lie. On a cart path, if a drop would be horrible, I would just hit the ball off the cart path. 

If it's like a tree root that would just bend the crap out of my club, I would take an unplayable lie. 

 

Edited by saevel25
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • iacas changed the title to What do You do With Lies That Can Damage Clubs?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • If I am understanding this correctly, I've been able to, for over two and a half years now, move stones in bunkers, as long as doing so doesn't move my ball, same as I can do on the fairway or in the rough?   I either missed this entirely or forgot about it.   
    • It was explained to me that they wanted people to remove stones, but not to give them so much freedom that they  could just go messing about willy nilly and moving their ball. So, what they came up with did that.
    • Previously the LR caused a stone to be treated like a MO in all respects. Now the rule doesn't.  Why not?  Why shouldn't the Rule simply deem a stone in a bunker as either a LI or treat it by Rule as one? A safety conscious player could incur a penalty for being safe about a stone but not a walnut. 
    • This argument is like saying that someone who wins the first two games in a best of three competition hasn't won because there were two rounds and not three.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. 3putt71
      3putt71
      (64 years old)
    2. cdutra40
      cdutra40
      (22 years old)
    3. Doovy
      Doovy
      (27 years old)
    4. JLeeWildcat9
      JLeeWildcat9
      (35 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...