IGNORED

"Full Swing" Tour Docuseries on Netflix

iacas

• Administrator

Modeled after Drive to Survive… woo!

PGATourNetflix.jpg

Golf fans will get unprecedented access to several of the game's top players in an all-new Netflix series set on the PGA Tour.

• Thumbs Up 4

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I’ll definitely watch this. Didn’t see this so thanks for the notification!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

They can even keep the title, "Drive to Survive".

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Could be interesting. Hopefully, the tour lets Netflix do its thing and doesn’t try to make it super bland. Netflix has done a good job with these, though, so I’m not too worried about that. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• 4 months later...
  • Administrator
netflix-cast.jpg

A Netflix show promising "unprecedented access" to PGA Tour life has quietly begun filming with a cast featuring golf's biggest names.

Abraham Ancer
Daniel Berger
Cameron Champ
Joel Dahmen
Tony Finau
Matthew Fitzpatrick
Tommy Fleetwood
Rickie Fowler
Sergio Garcia
Harry Higgs
Max Homa
Viktor Hovland
Dustin Johnson
Brooks Koepka
Collin Morikawa
Kevin Na
Mito Pereira
Ian Poulter
Xander Schauffele
Jordan Spieth
Justin Thomas
Bubba Watson

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Disclaimer:  Rickie is one of my favorite guys on tour.  From the article:  "In 2019, discussions began in earnest about the possibility of a Tour-centric docuseries. Rickie Fowler was the first pro to raise his hand, vouching for the merits of the idea and volunteering as participant..."  When he's not doing TV commercials.  😀

49 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

When he's not doing TV commercials.  😀

Which are pretty bad IMHO. 😁

I like this idea also. I love Hard Knocks. Especially since they have added the in-season version.

I worry that they will only show us the positive stuff, but hopefully we get a good inside look.

Michael

• 5 months later...

My wife's cousin (more like a nephew to us since he is same age as our kids) is working on this series as a grip.  He sent a picture of DJ playing basketball this week and think was with Spieth a few weeks ago.

War Eagle!

• 6 months later...

I wasn't sure if I should bump this or start a new one, but the trailer and title of the series was released today, so maybe it's easier to just change the title of this thread. The new series is called Full Swing.

Definitely gonna check this one out. Fingers crossed it lives up to the hype! 

Edited by JetFan1983
  • Thumbs Up 1

Constantine

Golf need stuff like this. I hope it'll be good.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator

Did the trailer make you more or less hyped?

I'd been hearing good things, so the trailer… didn't show me anything much that I didn't expect. So, it didn't land flat for me, but it didn't really land. It just "is."

• Thumbs Up 1

• iacas changed the title to "Full Swing" Tour Docuseries on Netflix
19 hours ago, iacas said:

Did the trailer make you more or less hyped?

I'd been hearing good things, so the trailer… didn't show me anything much that I didn't expect. So, it didn't land flat for me, but it didn't really land. It just "is."

Less hyped. They have a large number of characters in this. I would rather go deep on a few rather than light on many. Maybe the show will do that, but the trailer made me think they are going to have too many characters to dive deeply. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Michael

The trailer didn’t do anything for me. I still plan to watch. I expect drama to an extent, but I guess I’m more interested in how personal it gets into their routines outside of actual tournaments. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

3 hours ago, mchepp said:

They have a large number of characters in this. I would rather go deep on a few rather than light on many. 

Yea I had similar thoughts. My expectations are as low as can be. Hopefully it's cool, but golf related documentaries tend to be pretty crappy. Maybe I just watch too much Golf Channel.

Edited by JetFan1983

Constantine

11 hours ago, JetFan1983 said:

My expectations are as low as can be.

Is the from years of being a Jets fan?😜

I agree that the promo didn’t really intrigue me. Hopefully it will be better than expected. I think we all want to see something a little different than the average viewer. But they may be playing towards the average viewer.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Is the from years of being a Jets fan?😜

I agree that the promo didn’t really intrigue me. Hopefully it will be better than expected. I think we all want to see something a little different than the average viewer. But they may be playing towards the average viewer.

😄 I think it's from sitting through far too many puff pieces from places like Golf Channel for me to believe any documentary filmmaker would be able to show a legitimately entertaining picture of life on tour, especially one we haven't seen. Of course, the reality of them all just being slaves to the game probably isn't super entertaining anyway. Get up, hit range balls all day, come home, go to bed, get up, do it all again, get your flight delayed, sleep in a Hampton Inn, wake up groggy, hit range balls, shoot 67-74, miss the cut, cry about it, go to bed, hit range balls, miss your flight, etc. etc.

My hope of seeing a super real depiction of these guys' lives isn't happening either. Dustin Johnson's part starts off with him buying some yayo from his sketchy Miami dealer who gives him a hard time about the increased prices. He drives home to an angry Paulina who immediately demands he buys her more diamonds. Then he goes up to the bathroom to splash water on his face and as he's staring at himself in the mirror, that's when he decides to take the LIV money.

Yea, that scene probably isn't happening.

I think you guys may have figured it out though. If it's five minutes with Justin Thomas, five minutes with Rory, eight minutes with Poulter because he wouldn't shut up about how bitter he is, five minutes with Matt Fitzpatrick, etc. etc. and that's the whole thing, then it's probably going to be disappointing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Constantine