IGNORED

2022 TST Birdie Challenge

iacas

I am down to lucky #13 for the "Away Composite."  I haven't played enough at my "home" course to make much of a dent.  I will concentrate on the "Away" portion a bit.  There are two Metro Park courses in my area with par 5's as their 13th hole. @sjduffers has been rather quiet of late.  Maybe I can catch him on the "home" course side of things, too.

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In for Pars. using my 'home' course where I play a weekly mens league (9 holes each Tuesday night). Course is Par 71, rated 69.6/127 from Combo tees. 

Edited by jefkve

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

Finally got #11 yesterday.  Probably the second hardest hole to get birdie on.  Still have the hardest and 3 more of them in the top half of birdie difficulty.  Might have trouble completing it again before snow flies.

I suppose it would be cheating to only play the four holes I have left and skip the other 14 holes to play them multiple times per round / day?

John

Started with Double on the first hole but got around well and birdied the 5th again and the 13th. These are the number 3 and 2 in difficulty.  I had a good look at 10 which is the last one left to complete the challenge, but it turned out to be a no stress par. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Got a new birdie on #11 today. Still have hole #1, 2, and 7 to go.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

I got up and down from 60 yards out for birdie at Rancho Park's #18 today to finish the second nine's composite.  I somehow still have only birdied #6 and #8 on front on any course, and I know I've birdied a hole six at least twice and a hole eight at least twice.  

• Thumbs Up 2

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I added number 12 from my home course today. I hit a solid drive, nothing special but dead straight down the middle to 115 yards. Hit PW to 8 feet from a center pin location. Rolled the putt into the heart of the cup. ... Golf is easy.  🤪

• Thumbs Up 2

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Played The Architects Golf Club today. Had several good chances at birdie inside of 12' but only made the one 8 footer on #10.

I missed a 3 footer for birdie today :censored:

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

12 hours ago, billchao said:

I missed a 3 footer for birdie today :censored:

Bummer. It's probably small consolation, but at least you didn't pick it up and say "Good". 

We've all been there. Missing short putts stinks. 

Hole in one on #16 of the home course (upgrade from birdie to eagle)!

Normally 186 yards from the blue tees, today the flag was up to about 176 yards, uphill into the wind. My 5 wood caught the right side of the green and the ball released to the left towards the hole. It looked close from the tee but I didn't see it drop. As I walked up there, nothing, except my partners' balls. I looked in the cup, and there it was! :banana:

And of course, beers all around. :beer:

It's my second one ever, and with the same club from about the same distance (on a different hole and golf course).

Edited by sjduffers
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

34 minutes ago, sjduffers said:

Hole in one on #16 of the home course (upgrade from birdie to eagle)!

Sweet! 
Congratulations! 

I’m so far behind. I’ve barely played this year. Way too much going on in life and haven’t had the time to play. I did chip in for a bird at 7 yesterday. One of those chips that as soon as it hit the green and started rolling you knew it was dropping. 

14 is a par 4 with a steep hill in front of the green. A well struck hybrid will get me near the base of the hill. Absolutely smoked a hybrid. Had a 40ish yard shot straight up the hill. Can’t see the hole, just the flag cut in the front. Nipped a wedge with some spin and I knew when it hit that it was going to be a good look at 3. When I parked the cart at the top of the hill and looked over I could see that it wouldn’t even be necessary to take my putter with me. Just go and pick that ball up. Inside of 6 inches from the hole. Wondering if that ball hit the stick or touched the hole. Regardless a 3 looks good on the card!

• Like 1

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

I've had a long dry spell regarding birdies. It's been over 12 months. I'd been getting 1 per round, but then that stopped. I think I've been playing better golf. At least my mental game has been better. I finally broke the dry spell last Friday with a birdie on the #1 handicap hole. It has three bunkers where  your drive lands - one large grass bunker and two sand bunkers. I'd been hitting my driver well, so I played it and split the fairway right between them. I had to wait for the next group to get onto the green, because there was an outside chance I could hit my 5W 225. It's happened a couple times. Chances are it would only go 210, but I didn't want to risk it. And I hit a nice 5W to the right side of the fairway about 210 from where I was. This left a 43 yd LW to the green. We're in "lift, clean, and place" so after noticing a chunk of mud on the ball I marked the ball with a tee and cleaned the mud off it, replaced it and got ready to hit. I dropped a nice high spinner on the green that stopped dead 4 feet from the hole. I pulled the flag. Lined up the putt and enjoyed the sound of the ball rattling in the bottom. Birdie. Fist pump. 

The 4 on a the #1 par 5 looks good. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

New birdie on #7 today. Two more left for to complete 18 for the year.

Pitch mark was about 1-yd right of the hole, pin high. Left with a 12 footer downhill for birdie, maybe 2 balls of break. Rattled off the flagstick and in (would have been in with flag out too).
7A6B2EF0-971F-4C7A-8026-2C82049FE529.thumb.png.445674d615f5c1fbb63416aa71f5e510.png

• Thumbs Up 2

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Birdied #9 at Green Knoll today. Hit my drive straight into the left rough (was aiming to accommodate a push) and followed that up with a 9i to 7'. It's kind of a blind approach because the green is uphill so I couldn't see the ball land but I knew I was right on the pin the whole way. #9 is new.

Missed a three footer for birdie at #12. That would have been new, too. Actually I almost aced it, but it just rolled by the hole. Oh well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

FINALLY made birdie on my nemesis hole #2. I went back and checked my stats, I had birdied every other hole on the course at least 3 times before I finally got my first one there. I always joke that I have to birdie # 1 so I can be even after # 2. It just doesn't fit my eye, there is OB down the entire left side and trees and water down the right. The fairway is sloped so any drive that doesn't land right in the middle will often run into the rough.

When I finally birdied it I cut a nice 9 iron around a big pine tree to about a foot. Stupid thing almost went in on the fly. Bot anyway I am finally done with the challenge, took me forever because of # 2 but I did it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1