IGNORED

2022 TST Birdie Challenge

iacas

On 3/6/2022 at 9:51 AM, pganapathy said:

Another birdie on the sixth today.  A 550 or so yard par 5.  Goes up initially and then down.  Net the hole is downhill.  Tee shot wasn't great but got enough distance that I could go over the trees and towards the dogleg right.  That was a good and downhill shot.  Left myself about 110 or so yards and hit a 9 iron thanks to the headwind.  Dropped it pin high and maybe ten foot putt.  Rolled it in

Inconsistent round with a couple of birdie opportunities but only one putt fell.  From 12 to 17, all holes were close with the 14th being successful.  510 or so yard par 5 dogleg right.  Hit onto the 12th fairway (bit of a slice) off the tee and came back towards the 14th fairway with my second shot.  Was around 40 to 50 yards but just off the fairway on the right side.  Great chip to within 10 feet and the putt fell

• Like 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It feels like I am entered in a race, still in the locker room, and the starting gun went off.   😡

@sjduffers has a fast start but I only work 2 days a week and feel fully recovered from my minor health issue a year ago.  I will catch him. 

Edited by bkuehn1952
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

Brian Kuehn

Added the 12th hole today which is now 8/18 for the season. Still have some tough ones to get over the next 9 months.

Usually #12 is 7-iron tee shot, and wedge approach, but I decided to throw LSW strategy out the window and hit driver. Drove it onto the right fringe, about middle of the green, and then two putts from there for the birdie.

image.png.445f35ced27dc44ce1cae0bb1909994b.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

7 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

It feels like I am entered in a race, still in the locker room, and the starting gun went off.   😡

@sjduffers has a fast start but I only work 2 days a week and feel fully recovered from my minor health issue a year ago.  I will catch him. 

@bkuehn1952, do you realize that I work 0 days a week, and play the home course a couple times a week, and an away course at last once a week? While I am elated that you have recovered from your health scare, don't count too much on catching me.  Ah! :-P:whistle:

Play well! :beer:

Edited by sjduffers
  • Funny 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

• Administrator
7 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

You'll be fine. 🙂

But, yes, unless we travel and knock off some away course holes… it's a tough scene right now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I will - once again - do the away course composite.  I don't play more than (5) rounds on a single course in any given year, so it's a much more realistic option.

I've only played one round all year and already have 2 birdies, so I'm off to a good start!

- John

3 birdies today, 2 of which I've already entered for this season...both on par 3s, but the third one was one that I hadn't yet birdied this year AND it's the hardest hole on the course, which I was concerned about being able to birdie it as it's a long par 4...anyway, hit a fair drive, duffed a 3 wood and left myself an 80 yard shot with wind at my back.  BAM...Hit and one hopped into the hole.  One of my playing partners was standing on the green and hooted and hollered when it holed out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Some really good looks today, but only #5 went down and I already had it. Back to it on Saturday. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• Administrator

Birdied number nine at Whispering Woods today with @GolfLug. Even though the greens were stimping at about 6. 😄

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

17 hours ago, iacas said:

Birdied number nine at Whispering Woods today with @GolfLug. Even though the greens were stimping at about 6. 😄

This was the case where a bumpy green bounced the ball in. Ha ha. 

Kidding..kidding... I can't remember the greens ever being that slow at WW but in fairness the snow just melted a day or two ago.

Vishal S.

First 18 holes of the year and checked off #9. Was tied for my 2nd most birdied hole in 2022. Solid drive leaves me a little flip 56 or 52 into the green so I should make some birdies on the hole. Yesterday had a front pin and 77 to front. Stuck the wedge about 10ft pin high right. Ball was a bit above my feet on the approach so I was expecting the shot to come back to the pin but unfortunately it hung out right. Still happy to make the 3. Only 17 more holes to go!

• Thumbs Up 1

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

I play around quite a bit so I’ve had a hard time deciding on a course.  But just joined a Men’s league this week, so that made the decision for this challenge.  League starts March 30th, looking forward to some birdies.

Good luck to everyone!

Three rounds so far this year.  I recall some conversation last year that because I live ~50 miles from what was my home course for a while, and I kept membership there, I'm using a closer course that I plan to play a lot more of as my home course and deciding the other ones as away, including my former home course.

Anyway, 3 rounds into 2022, none at my "new home" course (it has 36 holes, I have to decide how I want to handle that), I have 6 birdies.  Alas, two were at hole 8:  one at the long par-3 of my former home course, one at a long par-5 at a course that was never home.  The former I birdied by hitting the middle of the green with a hybrid and making a 20+ foot putt, the latter by accidentally landing my approach  a foot or two from the cup (I assure you, that tucked pin was not where I was aiming), thanks in part to the wind.

Other birdies so far this year:  former home's #11 (reached in two!), #16 (par-3, this was my second ever birdie there;  last hole for me to ever record my first-ever-par on years ago), another away courses's 15 and 17 (both par-3s).

I assure you, I have not been aiming at pins.  I prioritize GIR and sometimes I get lucky and close, other times I make a long putt.  Even with my putting skill, I know this is the long-term way to play.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Got to play the "home course" for the second time this year yesterday.

Knocked out 3 birdies on the front nine.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

On 3/13/2022 at 9:01 AM, pganapathy said:

Inconsistent round with a couple of birdie opportunities but only one putt fell.  From 12 to 17, all holes were close with the 14th being successful.  510 or so yard par 5 dogleg right.  Hit onto the 12th fairway (bit of a slice) off the tee and came back towards the 14th fairway with my second shot.  Was around 40 to 50 yards but just off the fairway on the right side.  Great chip to within 10 feet and the putt fell

Another birdie today.  The 8th is a short par 3.  Touch over 300 yards.  Hit a decent drive and lost some distance thanks to hitting a fairway bunker.  Finished up around 40 yards or so from the green on the front face.  Had an OK stance and lie and managed to hit the shot well.  Dropped and stopped around 5 feet or so from the pin.  Happily the putt fell.  Was a bit of a right to left slippery putt

• Like 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

A birdie on the par 4 #10 yesterday.  Windy and cold with wet, sloppy fairways.  Playing into a pretty stiff wind, hit my driver and then had to follow it up with a 5 wood (don't recall how far out I was), landed below the pin for a 15 foot putt that had a right to left break of about a cup.  The rest of the round, both prior to this birdie and subsequent holes following it, stunk.

13 hours ago, pganapathy said:

Another birdie today.  The 8th is a short par 3.  Touch over 300 yards. 

Gotta love those short par 3s, just a touch over 300 yards. You must be a stud. Congrats! :whistle::banana::beer:

Just busting your chops for the (funny) typo. Congrats on the birdie, regardless.

• Funny 2

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

On 3/25/2022 at 6:06 AM, pganapathy said:

Another birdie today.  The 8th is a short par 3.  Touch over 300 yards. 

💪  It's those 800 yard par 4s that will test your mettle! 😄 

• Funny 2