IGNORED

Team Disqualified, Banned for Cheating in Charity Golf Tournament at Moose Run Golf Course

The Flush

Ouch!   One thing to be disqualified.  Being written up with names…they deserved it, but damn.  Usually these things get quietly taken care of. 

—Adam

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good catch.  An informant on a team.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I wonder how they got informant on the team.  Usually charity outings are groups of people that know each other.

If they cheat for a plastic trophy and some misc. swag, what do they do at other times?

Edited by StuM
Fixed typo
  • Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

How do I get a job as an informant for charity scrambles? Anyone wanna start that detective agency with me?

• Funny 1

Constantine

8 hours ago, JetFan1983 said:

How do I get a job as an informant for charity scrambles? Anyone wanna start that detective agency with me?

Dewey, Cheatham and Howe.

• Funny 5

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I love how they blurred the informant’s name and image in the article, as if anyone involved couldn’t easily figure out who it was. 

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I once saw a team of blatant cheaters get their butts whipped and their clubs broken/stolen at a Detroit Muni. People were less tolerant of being robbed with a pencil in the 80's.

12 hours ago, billchao said:

I love how they blurred the informant’s name and image in the article, as if anyone involved couldn’t easily figure out who it was. 

Maybe the informant used an assumed name and they're blurring it to allow reuse?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Maybe the informant used an assumed name and they're blurring it to allow reuse?

CIA level baby!

• Funny 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I know a few people who won't enter 4 person scrambles, for this reason...    i've heard stories from people i know who entered a scramble with 2 scratch golfers and 2 more low handicap golfers and they turn in a legit score of -15 under par...  and the winning score was -25 under par..... from 4 guys who couldnt par a hole if they used mulligans....    and just blatant cheating..     

It is what it is

And that was only because they had an informant on THAT team. IMHO, the other top teams probably had a bit of shenanigans going on as well. Figuring if they put in for a 56 or 57, that should be enough to win. They just didn't expect that this team would cheat more than they did. 

12 hours ago, David L Yskes said:

I know a few people who won't enter 4 person scrambles, for this reason...    i've heard stories from people i know who entered a scramble with 2 scratch golfers and 2 more low handicap golfers and they turn in a legit score of -15 under par...  and the winning score was -25 under par..... from 4 guys who couldnt par a hole if they used mulligans....    and just blatant cheating..     

This is why the only time I play in scramble tournaments is when it's either set up for members/guests of a private course (with strong discouragement/penalties for cheating), if it's for a charity I like, or if it's on some private course I'd otherwise be unable to play and want to try out.

When I was a plus handicap years ago I played a scramble with one pro and two other plus handicaps because one was a friend who wanted to put together a team of ringers to win the event. We shot a 52 (par 71, 19 under) on a course regularly used for US Open qualifiers, and we still "lost" to a group of guys who regularly struggled to get the ball into the air on the range and out on the course. My buddy had assumed that blatant/obvious cheaters like that would've had their scores tossed out since it was a reasonably large event that was put on by the local PGA chapter, but it wasn't and they kept the not-insubstantial (but not amateur disqualifying) prizes for winning. 

After that experience I decided to only play in scrambles if I liked or wanted to try a particular course and had some friends to just enjoy an afternoon with while potentially supporting a cause I agree with. Outside of private events that are organized by courses or specific groups that will monitor and prevent cheating, I don't go into any scramble with the expectation of doing anything but having fun with friends out on the golf course. 

• Like 1