IGNORED

The Oddest/Worst Thing You Have Hit With a Golf Ball

Old1964

30+ years ago I was hitting a bucket of balls at a public driving range that had a busy road curiously close beside it. I was trying to learn how to hit a controlled fade with my Taylor Made Burner Plus driver. My first few efforts came up short. The fourth one, though, was a "winner". Started right - continued right - ultimately bouncing off of a Dodge Omni that was passing by leaving a smaller-than-expected dimple in the center of the hood. 

After the car pulled into the parking lot behind me an extremely large and angry woman pulled into the parking lot and shared her feelings, particularly concerned that that I could have killed her.  Though she was emotionally exercised, she was unhurt and gave me a lecture before leaving abruptly after announcing that she didn't have insurance. :-)  On the upside, my fade has gotten better. 

• Funny 1

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

1. Mercedes Benz SLK full on the windscreen with a block slice 3 iron

2. Rabbit @80 yards with a knifed 1 iron

3. Greens keeper with a 5 iron on a 200yards downhill par 3. We were waiting and he waved us to play, I hit it straight at him and he  just started strimming…..hit him full on the head and came back 50yards. I SCREAMED fore! But he had ear defenders on. Dude didn’t even break stride, just waved and carried on strimming. 

• Funny 1

Stevie T

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've hit a few golf carts, and a few houses, I've even landed a ball or two in somebody's swimming pool. 

One time, a guy in my foursome hooked a drive into a moving AmTrak Train. That was pretty funny. 

My best one, personally, was when I lined a tee shot into one of those plastic golf ball tee box markers on the next tee-box up. H4fd25f0361c74b63a322bc0080e20e7f5.jpg.4d9136c4bc13637800ca9a1eb7547d05.jpg

Kinda looked like one of these. When my ball hit it the damned thing exploded into a million tiny plastic shards. 

• Funny 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Too many to list here for me. But knocking a grounds crew guy’s lunch out of his hands was particularly special. Ah the shanks. If you haven’t hit a shank, you haven’t lived a full life.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Have hit a few tee box markers / best one was on #5 at Minnesott - hit the red marker and the red marker sent it back at me, very near miss….

• Funny 1

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

1 - was about 5 yds back from a sapling and said “no way I’m hitting this thing, it’s only a couple inches thick”.  Took my shot, ball hits the sapling dead center and sends the ball right back at me, hitting and breaking my glasses.  To hit it that perfectly dead center that the ball came back to hit me in the face/glasses, had to be at least one in a million chances even if I would have tried to hit it.

2 - pulled a tee shot directly into my push cart that was about 15 yards ahead of me, just left of the tee box.  Obliterated the rear wheel on the cart.  Luckily it was the 18th hole so only had to deal with it for one hole, and it was supper easy to get a replacement wheel from SM.

3 - hit a goose off the tee.  Some people laugh about it, but it was really bad, still feel bad about it to this day.

• Funny 1

A friend of mine was playing our home course.  The 9th hole has an OB behind the tee box since that isn't our land.  He proceeds to tee off with the driver and hit the tee markers, made of stone, dead centre.  The ball comes back just as quickly as he hits it, misses the entire 4 ball, one of them by a matter of inches and goes a hundred or so yards OB

• Funny 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I teed off on the first hole of Woburn Country Club. My ball, soaring with a slight fade began to descend to the right side of the fairway. Suddenly, like a video game, a little man emerges from the trees on the right in a trot towards an errant ball from the 8th fairway. We look up to my ball as it descends. Then down at the little trotting man. Then up. Then down. A loud chorus of “FORE” bursts from out tee box to no avail. Their trajectories are in perfect alignment for a collision. My ball hits the ground and with one bounce careens into the thigh of the little man. He goes down like a sack of potatoes tossed from a farmer’s pickup. I sprint down to see if he’s okay. Amazingly, he apologizes for getting hit saying, “I don’t know what I was thinking.” He was okay.

• Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

At my local course we have a lot of deer that live very near the course, and of course love the easy to access grass and water. I hit a tee shot a little thin one day that produced a low line drive shot, piercing if you will. About 175 yards out was a doe standing in the fairway minding her own business. My ball hit her in the rear haunch kind of like a Charlie horse. She bucked a couple times and took off like a rocket packing a bit of a limp. 

• Funny 1

Callway GBB Epic, TaylorMade R7 3W, Wilson D9 Forged, Vokey 54* and 58*, Bettinardi flat stick

I’ve hit lots of things. Myself, a house 100 yards away from the property line, playing partners, etc. Once I put a ball into the bag compartment of the golf cart in the group ahead of me, but that wasn’t a bad shot, they just parked it 100 yards from the green for some reason.

About the only thing I haven’t hit is the center of the fairway.

• Funny 3

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Many years ago at West Warwick CC, I was teeing off on the 4th hole (a 375 yard uphill par 4) and skulled the ball which hit one of the red tee markers, ricocheting behind the tee box. Needless to say, my playing partners were in hysterics, but no injuries (other than to my pride 😬).

• Funny 1
  • Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

5 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Amazingly, he apologizes for getting hit saying, “I don’t know what I was thinking.” He was okay.

His head. You definitely hit his head. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1

Vishal S.

A turkey!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

In what is an already humbling game, a particularly humbling moment was one I cold-topped into a cobra chicken standing with his gaggle about 100 yards out in the fairway. 

I'd like to think the bird was acting like a tough guy trying to impress the ladies, but he didn't even make a sound. Just looked at me like I was the biggest idiot on the course.

• Funny 1

I only witnessed the guy in my foursome who hit the Old Course Hotel that sits to the right side of the "Road Hole." Judging from the marks and broken windows, he was not the only one ever to do it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Brian Kuehn

On 3/7/2023 at 9:53 PM, Denny Bang Bang said:

1 - was about 5 yds back from a sapling and said “no way I’m hitting this thing, it’s only a couple inches thick”.  Took my shot, ball hits the sapling dead center and sends the ball right back at me, hitting and breaking my glasses.  To hit it that perfectly dead center that the ball came back to hit me in the face/glasses, had to be at least one in a million chances even if I would have tried to hit it.

2 - pulled a tee shot directly into my push cart that was about 15 yards ahead of me, just left of the tee box.  Obliterated the rear wheel on the cart.  Luckily it was the 18th hole so only had to deal with it for one hole, and it was supper easy to get a replacement wheel from SM.

3 - hit a goose off the tee.  Some people laugh about it, but it was really bad, still feel bad about it to this day.

As for the goose guilt - a therapist probably wouldn't understand :-D

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

I hit one of those drives where you barely feel the ball. A bird flew out of tree and flew right in front of the ball. I saw feathers flying, but didn’t see where the bird went. 

• Thumbs Up 2

- Shane