IGNORED

Reasonable Driver Club Speed Formula to Aim for?

p1n9183

Mine ended up around 117 mph, which works out to be pretty accurate. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm going to use this formula as a reason not to go on a diet and lose the weight I probably should... As long as I stay fat I should be able to swing the club faster.

• Funny 5

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

The biggest problem with this formula is weight and age.  My answer works out to 112 because I am short and heavy and the amount I am discounting for my age is too low.  This possibly works for athletic people.  Maybe time for me to go on a diet and hit the gym to get up to my predicted speed.  Even when I was younger I never got much above 105 probably or at a push 110 when everything went right and I was a lot fitter.  High 90's to low 100's was more realistic and now I am probably low to mid90's I reckon.  Must admit haven't been on a simulator in a long time so no idea what I am actually swinging

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I get 122.7 when I plug the numbers into the formula. Didn’t feel like adding my 1/2 to 6’6”.

I don’t swing nearly that. My body won’t let me. I can maybe sneak 103 or so, but honestly I hit it 250-260 yards.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I got 109, which I’ve hit with speed training but it’s about 10-15 more than I record with normal driver swings. I would suggest @p1n9183 create a spreadsheet we could all input information and see if we could come up with better factors. The more data we gather, the more accurate the factors could be.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

35 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I got 109, which I’ve hit with speed training but it’s about 10-15 more than I record with normal driver swings. I would suggest @p1n9183 create a spreadsheet we could all input information and see if we could come up with better factors. The more data we gather, the more accurate the factors could be.

A base constant of 99.6 mph is too high to begin with. My avg CHS is 93-94 mph. So unless remaining calculation comes up with a negative value it can't come even close for me. 

BTW, @p1n9183, cool exercise man.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

9 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

A base constant of 99.6 mph is too high to begin with. My avg CHS is 93-94 mph. So unless remaining calculation comes up with a negative value it can't come even close for me. 

I think the OP mentioned at the beginning that he was searching for a math formula to calculate your potential speed, not your actual speed. 
So, this formula would help you set a goal speed to strive for. 

So logically the formula for potential should give a higher number than your current average. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

14 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I think the OP mentioned at the beginning that he was searching for a math formula to calculate your potential speed, not your actual speed. 

So logically the formula for potential should give a higher number than your current average. 

This is why I think we all should provide data to help create the model. We all have different body types and ages.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

This is why I think we all should provide data to help create the model. We all have different body types and ages.

But… it’s your current speed, not your potential.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

50 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Fair point. Fair point.

I guess I have horribly inefficient mechanics or have molasses running through my veins.. or.... both. Either way I'm leaving a lot on the table. I've always wondered why am I already not on 'Tour'. This splains it hehe.

• Funny 2

Vishal S.

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

The problem is, as I mentioned, earlier: Without that data including body fat percentage the weight metric is pretty useless.  But, without the weight metric, it's also not going to be particularly meaningful.

E.g.: Re-doing my numbers with my old weight, before I started controlling my diet and working out again:

99.6 + 76*0.13 + 195*0.08 - 72*0.24 = 108

That formula shows a 1 MPH faster potential CHS because I weighed ten pounds more.  But, that was when I was at 23% body fat.  Lean body mass then: 150 lbs.  Lean body mass now: 155 lbs.  So I have five pounds more muscle than I had then, but, I'd have less CHS?

The importance of body fat in the calculation becomes even more apparent if you consider the fact that, when I was at peak fitness I weighed about 195 lbs. and had 15% body fat.  165 lbs. of lean body mass: 15 lbs. more than I have now.

I also know that, back in 2020, when I was still pretty fit, I was averaging 135-140 yards with my 7i--wonky swing and all.  By last year, with a better, more consistent swing, I'd lost about 20 yards.  Difference?  I'm guessing most likely because I hadn't worked-out for two years.

What the additional data might help with is deriving a sub-expression to more-accurately account for age.  But, my guess would be that data already exists.  (I'd be surprised if TrackMan didn't have it.  They seem to have stats on everything else.)

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, SEMI_Duffer said:

The problem is, as I mentioned, earlier: Without that data including body fat percentage the weight metric is pretty useless.  But, without the weight metric, it's also not going to be particularly meaningful.

E.g.: Re-doing my numbers with my old weight, before I started controlling my diet and working out again:

99.6 + 76*0.13 + 195*0.08 - 72*0.24 = 108

That formula shows a 1 MPH faster potential CHS because I weighed ten pounds more.  But, that was when I was at 23% body fat.  Lean body mass then: 150 lbs.  Lean body mass now: 155 lbs.  So I have five pounds more muscle than I had then, but, I'd have less CHS?

The importance of body fat in the calculation becomes even more apparent if you consider the fact that, when I was at peak fitness I weighed about 195 lbs. and had 15% body fat.  165 lbs. of lean body mass: 15 lbs. more than I have now.

I also know that, back in 2020, when I was still pretty fit, I was averaging 135-140 yards with my 7i--wonky swing and all.  By last year, with a better, more consistent swing, I'd lost about 20 yards.  Difference?  I'm guessing most likely because I hadn't worked-out for two years.

What the additional data might help with is deriving a sub-expression to more-accurately account for age.  But, my guess would be that data already exists.  (I'd be surprised if TrackMan didn't have it.  They seem to have stats on everything else.)

I think some dynamic abilities like vertical leap height and how far out can one skip a rock have to be factors. A static factor like weight can be very misleading for obvious reasons. Maybe adding a BMI qualifier might make it a cleaner factor.   

Vishal S.

16 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Maybe adding a BMI qualifier might make it a cleaner factor.   

Nope.  E.g.: My BMI was higher when I was at 195 lbs. and 15% BF than it is now, but, I had much more muscle mass.

You might be able to SWAG it with some kind of height vs. waist size calculation, though.

Edited by SEMI_Duffer

BMI is not a good proxy for athletes since the muscle mass can give them a high BMI. Body fat % is probably a better indicator. Ideally you want lean body mass. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

The math is close for me.

73" tall, 220lbs, 60 years old

Theoretical max SS of 112.3mph. 

My regular driver SS is 103-105. I can crank it up to 109-110mph but directional control gets worse (which is why I don't swing that hard).

I hit 70% of fairways when swinging at 103-105. Not a fan of bomb and gouge. I really prefer hitting my 2nd shot from the fairway and not from behind a tree, even if it is 20 yards further back, 

9 hours ago, tourproto said:

I hit 70% of fairways when swinging at 103-105. Not a fan of bomb and gouge.

"Bomb and Gouge" results in lower scores over the long term though. Driving distance is a much bigger separator between various levels of handicap than fairways hit.

9 hours ago, tourproto said:

I really prefer hitting my 2nd shot from the fairway and not from behind a tree, even if it is 20 yards further back, 

But you wouldn't hit every single tee shot behind a tree if you hit it 20yds further though... What about the times where you'd hit the fairway with the faster swing and be 20yds further ahead?

This is a conversation for a different topic but I strongly encourage you to be more open minded and learn about what the facts and data say around distance vs accuracy and the benefits that speed can provide.

• Thumbs Up 3

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

1 hour ago, klineka said:

"Bomb and Gouge" results in lower scores over the long term though. Driving distance is a much bigger separator between various levels of handicap than fairways hit.

But you wouldn't hit every single tee shot behind a tree if you hit it 20yds further though... What about the times where you'd hit the fairway with the faster swing and be 20yds further ahead?

This is a conversation for a different topic but I strongly encourage you to be more open minded and learn about what the facts and data say around distance vs accuracy and the benefits that speed can provide.

Not saying @tourproto is one, but you’ll most likely get no mileage outta this. Even though it’s widely known and proven that what you said is 100% factual, when you mention math/statistics….you lose people. They think their ‘personal experience’ always places them as an outlier.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

They think their ‘personal experience’ always places them as an outlier.

My personal experience makes me an outlier. So does the data, unfortunately 😃

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread