IGNORED

2024 Masters

iacas

12 minutes ago, ScouseJohnny said:

It's a bit telling, I suppose, that the Masters has just ended and the conversation here turns to whether an 84 year old retired golfer who last won in 1986 made fewer consecutive cuts than a 48 year old golfer who last won in 2019 and just finished +16 for the tournament.

But I don't demean that. In the days when Woods was at his dazzling, brilliant best, it was still a very human performance. This is a bit like watching modern day Formula 1. The technical precision is remarkable. You are often inclined to step away from few minutes to make a cup of tea. The golf machine whirrs away in the background, as programmed.

Golf has a lot of Scotties and Brooks. I'm starting to think it needs another Seve, urgently.

Well said, we need someone with flamboyance like Seve had you know how they feel but, at the same time they realize there is a line of class. Someone who is an artist with a great set of hands.

• Like 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, ScouseJohnny said:

Golf has a lot of Scotties and Brooks. I'm starting to think it needs another Seve, urgently.

What does this even mean? 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :titleist: ProV1x Left Dash

(edited)
16 minutes ago, klineka said:

What does this even mean? 

Good question. I'm not entirely sure.

I think it means that routine excellence can become dull over time; and that is never true of sporadic genius. 

That doesn't mean routine excellence needs to go away, but an injection of sporadic (spontaneous) genius would be welcome, for the watching public.

Edited by ScouseJohnny

• Administrator
4 hours ago, VOX said:

Tiger hasn’t made the most consecutive Masters cuts (I think Nicklaus has that record).

Yes he has. You can't count tournaments where he didn't even try to play.

Nicklaus withdrew before the second round in 1983. He'd missed the cut in 1967 and would miss the cut in 1994, too.

4 hours ago, VOX said:

He has made 24 cuts in a row in Masters in which he completed at least two rounds.

Also known as consecutive cuts made.

3 hours ago, VOX said:

Yes. He has made 25 cuts in 30 Years which is incredible.

If you don't play, there's not a cut for you to make or miss. You didn't play. Dude, you're just wrong on this.

41 minutes ago, ScouseJohnny said:

You had one for a bit. His name was Jordan.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, ScouseJohnny said:

Were you watching the same tournament we were watching?? Scottie is a beast. Dazzling. Maybe you don't recognize it unless someone is overcoming weak shots with brilliance like Seve maybe.

This cat HAS no weakness. He misjudged wind like three times the entire week. That's it. Bat shit crazy ridiculous in conditions this week. This is more Tigeresque than DJ in his prime. It's like he gave some guys hope to some for kicks for a few, but then turned on the blowers at will in the end. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Vishal S.

37 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Were you watching the same tournament we were watching?? Scottie is a beast.

I think he was referring to the similar idea with McEnroe vs Lendl. Yeah Lendl was a beast….but I certainly enjoyed watching McEnroe play over Lendl.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

(edited)
40 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I think he was referring to the similar idea with McEnroe vs Lendl. Yeah Lendl was a beast….but I certainly enjoyed watching McEnroe play over Lendl.

I get that. But, I mean starting with the funny feet, Scottie is anything but a robot. Hits the dog shit out out of the ball off the tee. Not afraid to hit draws when called upon. Many 'top' players won't even try anything but their stock shots especially when a tourney is on the line. Massive balls.

If you can get over his lack of expressiveness, which is 100% deliberate for sake of his game, this dude was red lining all week with the wind, and the tough short shots and the putts that somehow just fell in. This stuff is anything but 'routine excellence'.

I'm just in awe right now. I can't wait to see him steam roll rest off the year with impunity. 

BTW, a shout out to the Aberg. Nothing fake, absolute fun and totally awesome. Thoughtful too. Hopefully he never f***s with his swing or his process. What an intro to the majors. 

Edited by GolfLug
  • Thumbs Up 2

Vishal S.

3 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Were you watching the same tournament we were watching?? Scottie is a beast. Dazzling. Maybe you don't recognize it unless someone is overcoming weak shots with brilliance like Seve maybe.

This cat HAS no weakness. He misjudged wind like three times the entire week. That's it. Bat shit crazy ridiculous in conditions this week. This is more Tigeresque than DJ in his prime. It's like he gave some guys hope to some for kicks for a few, but then turned on the blowers at will in the end. 

His weakness has been putting, which has been significantly worse than the rest of his game. His game is still good enough to keep him usually in the top ten, with a T31 his worst result the last year.

I like watching Scheffler play. As a person he's not the most flamboyant, but he's long, has a complete game and is great at recovery. It was a well deserved win.

I watched until hole 14 before going to bed since I had to get up early for work. At that point Homa, Åberg and Morikawa had all made their double bogeys and Scheffler was going steady for the win. Impressive tournament by the Masters rookie Åberg. He seems to have a good head.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

6 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Well said, we need someone with flamboyance like Seve had you know how they feel but, at the same time they realize there is a line of class. 

Just to be clear, you aren't saying that Seve had class, correct?

Colin P.

6 hours ago, GolfLug said:

I get that. But, I mean starting with the funny feet, Scottie is anything but a robot. Hits the dog shit out out of the ball off the tee. ... this dude was red lining all week with the wind, and the tough short shots and the putts that somehow just fell in. This stuff is anything but 'routine excellence'.

I'm just in awe right now. I can't wait to see him steam roll rest off the year with impunity. 

To your point. He played the first two rounds along side Rory and was ahead of Rory by 10 strokes after the two days. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

7 hours ago, GolfLug said:

BTW, a shout out to the Aberg.

Aberg started to struggle after the fan knocked the protein bar from his hands. Downhill after that baby!😜

• Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

(edited)
4 hours ago, Zeph said:

His weakness has been putting, which has been significantly worse than the rest of his game. 

Not anymore. Apparently this Phil Kenyon guy is a horse whisperer. Scottie had 1.5 putts per green over four days; 109 total putts. Made all critical putts like for eg. 1st and 2nd holes yesterday. Easily could have been a different tournament.

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

To your point. He played the first two rounds along side Rory and was ahead of Rory by 10 strokes after the two days. 

Poor Rory. Must be sobering to experience first hand how big a chasm there is between him and Scottie. I think Scottie snuffed him out to a point where even his driver quit on him. He and Jordan probably out there in the wilderness playing Marco/Polo looking for their way back. 

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

40 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Not anymore. Apparently this Phil Kenyon guy is a horse whisperer. Scottie had 1.5 putts per green over four days; 109 total putts. Made all critical putts like for eg. 1st and 2nd holes yesterday. Easily could have been a different tournament.

It's certainly improved in 2024. If he keeps the current level of play going, it'll be tough for everyone else out there. He was extremely good everywhere but with the putter in 2023.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, theworldengine said:

I think what makes scottie unlikable in the eyes of many, is he acts like he doesn't want to be there.

I don’t get that sense at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

19 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Jeez.. 15 minutes of commercials and buildup music/clips in the first 16 minutes.😠

That's what they make DVR's for. My finger was sore from hitting the FF button. Slow play, so they manage to fill the space with commercials, replays, and statistical profiles.

On another note, I seemed to notice that all the "makeable" putts on Sunday missed on the low side. Greens were slippery and fast, but nobody managed to read enough break. 

3 hours ago, Archie Bunker said:

That's what they make DVR's for. My finger was sore from hitting the FF button. Slow play, so they manage to fill the space with commercials, replays, and statistical profiles.

On another note, I seemed to notice that all the "makeable" putts on Sunday missed on the low side. Greens were slippery and fast, but nobody managed to read enough break. 

Everything breaks towards Ray’s creek😂

• Funny 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/sports-radio-host-doesn-t-think-scottie-scheffler-is-good-for-golf/ar-BB1lFnOI?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=a939ff5fca414c08badb613e1fdfeb29&ei=11

This take and support reasoning in this article (not the writer but the radio host) is as dumb as a box-a-rox. It is a 100% take by someone who has little to no understanding or depth of the actual golf being played. I am picturing the guy or girl who spends more time in front of the mirror trying out different outfits to wear for the round than warming up at the range.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.