IGNORED

Rules If You Are a Single Matched with Others

snapfade

I'm response to a new topic, lets share some pointers for those that find themselves being paired with a group of strangers.

1. Don't act like a tour pro.

2. Don't say something to the affect of, "I was hitting them so good last round I don't know whats going on."

3. Don't start any political/ religious conversations.

4. Don't light up a cigarette on the first tee.

5. Don't offer swing advice.

6. Don't make inappropriate comments about the cart girl, might be one of your partners daughter.

7. Be cool, be polite, play your game. After about the 3rd hole you will know who you are dealing with and you can go from there. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Rules If You Are a Single Matched with Others
  • Administrator
6 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Don't be an asshole.

The corollary to that should be (I may add it to that eventually): give the benefit of the doubt. The person who seems like they are being an asshole might be:

• having a horrible, no-good, very bad day.
  • be on the autism spectrum or have some medical/behavioral/psychological issue
  • think they're doing something good that you just don't happen to like (some people don't care if others walk ahead, some people care very much)
  • have a misunderstanding of some kind
  • be nervous themselves, and some people express their nerves in weird (to you) ways

Too many people, it feels like to me, seek to be offended.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Too many people, it feels like to me, seek to be offended.

This is so true. We could all be a lot happier if we did not look for opportunities to get upset.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Brian Kuehn

I would add:

Play at a proper pace by being ready for your next shot.

Help search for wayward shots.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

If it is not a competitive round, do not feel you need to enforce the rules.  They may be a simple hacker trying to enjoy the day. But of course, you should set the example and quietly playing by the rules.

• Thumbs Up 3

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

46 minutes ago, iacas said:

Not only that, but watch the balls of the other players so you can point them in the right direction to begin with.

That would be…left.

• Funny 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Just thought of another "Rule" if you get paired up.  If your business is "Sales" DO NOT be a salesperson on the course.  Those you are paired up with are out for a fun round, not a time-share presentation.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Do not bring politics or religion as a single. Also, hold back on the cursing until you hear the others do it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

25 minutes ago, StuM said:

Just thought of another "Rule" if you get paired up.  If your business is "Sales" DO NOT be a salesperson on the course.  Those you are paired up with are out for a fun round, not a time-share presentation.

4-5 years ago before I found my regular weekend group I was playing as a single joining random 2-some/3-somes.  There was another single who I encountered multiple times. He was a real estate agent who was looking for clients. For me it was easy to dismiss him as I already owned a home and wasn't interested in moving or selling, but I could tell it made the others in the group a little uncomfortable when he offered business cards mid-round.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

24 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Do not bring politics or religion as a single. Also, hold back on the cursing until you hear the others do it.

If everyone follows this rule there would never be any curse words on the course since all would be waiting for the others to toss out the first F-Bomb.    I can see if you get paired with a parent  and their young child but otherwise all I say is do not be dropping the F-Bomb in every sentence....It losses its effectiveness if over used. 

6 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

he offered business cards mid-round.

To me that is a total breach of golf etiquette.  First, wait for them to ask for it and Second, it can wait until after the round.....as long as THEY ASK for it.

EDIT: I have been on a golf league for several years and not once have I asked for business from another on the league.  But over time several approached me when THEY were interested and ready.  I follow that same rule when visiting with family & friends.  Those are not business meetings, they are social and those know what I do and will approach me if they want.

Edited by StuM
Added last paragraph

Stuart M.

If the other players are playing by the rules because of a tournament or wanting to submit their scorecard for handicap, turn off/mute your phone. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, p1n9183 said:

If the other players are playing by the rules because of a tournament or wanting to submit their scorecard for handicap, turn off/mute your phone. 

This should be the norm, not the exception.

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

4 hours ago, DeadMan said:

IMG_0936.gif

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Make sure to use complimentary phrases like, "You da Man" or "Get in the Hole" especially on the first few shots so they know you are a true golf fan. If a player hits less than driver and gets into trouble make sure to say, "Good thing you used the fairway finder!" 

Or just don't be an asshole. 

• Funny 3

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

On 9/4/2023 at 8:12 PM, StuM said:

If it is not a competitive round, do not feel you need to enforce the rules.  They may be a simple hacker trying to enjoy the day. But of course, you should set the example and quietly playing by the rules.

This came up last weekend. I got paired with a 2 that was in a cart. I was walking with my pusher. Nice enough guys- had a couple of mutual 'semi-acquaintances' through a few degrees of separation and the like. I was a bit off target on a few holes, and they did their best to help locate my ball when I went astray so I didn't waste time walking to where it might be and then poking around. And I did my best to look for one of theirs since they were likely to be on opposite sides of fairway. 

They knew the course like I did so they should know the various internal OB's. On a particular hole I hit my tee shot and as it was drifting right, I said: "That's gonna be OB short of the corner... Oh well, three from there..." (course is packed and I use a modified version of the new OB rule in casual play). Next guy gets up and hits almost the same shot, and as it's on its way, I said: "That's gonna be OB by me..." He replied: "uh-huh..., I guess so". He is about 3-4 yards ahead and a couple further OB. I get to my ball which is 3 yards over the line, pick it and drop within a club of the line and as I drop I said again: "so it's 3 from here...". I then play a 5 Iron across the corner and wait for his shot. I look over and he's taking his stance and then just goes ahead and takes the shot from OB. I shrug to myself and walk on. I wasn't going the be the guy with adenoid issues saying:  "Well, you know, you were OB there and really should have taken the drop or re-teed, so this round can't count to your hdcp... blah, blah...". He was having enough problems out there. I swear, if he could hit it anywhere close to the middle of the club and straight, 320 plus was a breeze. Well, he may have done it a few times, but he was SO far right he was further from the hole than the actual length of the hole itself.