IGNORED

Phil Mickelson Topic

boogielicious

1 hour ago, snapfade said:

I can agree with @ChetlovesMer in it not being a real problem as far as world problems go, like the price of gas, inflation, natural disasters. Phil not gambling anymore is not going to lower the price of gas. It is, however, a real problem for the gambling addict and those around them that area affected by it.  Him blowing a bunch of money on bets didn't take food off the table, but I'm sure for every one Phil there area dozens of folks that it did. 

Correct. 

Much like Mel Gibson's alcoholism doesn't disrupt the global economic climate. Phil's gambling isn't a global issue. 

Having said that, the talking heads on the radio and tv have reported that's Phil's total gambling loses are in the hundreds of millions of dollars. ... That's a lot of money for anyone, and/or for any family to absorb. I'm sure the stresses on his family were not insignificant. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Gambling is a very real problem for a lot of people, Phil included. 

Yea. I don’t particularly care much about Phil but he’s a human being with a very real problem who has made mistakes in his life. On that, I can sympathize.

Is that going to make me a Phil fan? Not in the slightest.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

3 minutes ago, billchao said:

Yea. I don’t particularly care much about Phil but he’s a human being with a very real problem who has made mistakes in his life. On that, I can sympathize.

Is that going to make me a Phil fan? Not in the slightest.

This

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I'm with a few others, I'm not particularly concerned with Phil.  But hoping that his very public gambling problems and his public decision to avoid all gambling in the future can help others with similar addiction problems, I'm happy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

My position on this is that it's not a "real" problem in that nobody in Phil's family will be losing a house to live in or food on their table because he's filthy rich. If he was an alcoholic then that would be a different story 

Colin P.

True. I guess rich families suffer in other ways. I enjoyed watching Succession. That dood Kendall seemed one of the most psychologically damaged Richie Rich characters I've ever seen. I am sure there are a hundred Kendalls out there. 

Anyway, flawed/mea culpa Phil might soften me up more than Phake Phil.  

Vishal S.

12 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Anyway, flawed/mea culpa Phil might soften me up more than Phake Phil.

I’ll take that bet!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I thought it was a little premature in the messaging to be preaching the dangers of gambling. I agree with the premise of the content and it is surely a problem for him and his family. Maybe they didn't lose a house or whatever but there has to be a psychological and emotional toll on his family. But lets see you not bet more than one day in a row before you get on the bandwagon. 

I like Phil as a player/personality, but this just rubbed me the wrong way. I don't think he should get the pats on the back for doing the right thing just yet. Put a track record together, help some people out, and let someone else bring the attention to the situation. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

For whatever Phil's motivation is for giving up gambling, it's keeping him in the news. The attention right now is the Ryder Cup, so no one is thinking about Phil. The book came out, maybe that had something to do with it, but one could argue it is to draw attention to Phil. I mean no body is reporting on Phil from Binghamton giving up gambling, or Phil from Topeka. Maybe it will draw a little attention to the addiction and will help some people. I still like him as a player even though he went to LIV, I don't get to see him anymore but he was fun to watch at times. I think I like him because he gives Brandy crap via Twitter (now X) every now and then. I still remember being at Medina in '12 following him and Keegan around. 

Sports Illustrated on Instagram: "Rory McIlroy did not hold back with his  comment on allegations made about Phil Mickelson's gambling 😳"

Edited by snapfade
add meme
  • Thumbs Up 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

• 1 month later...

The post with the Phil gambling statistics where is shows he once lost $143K on one day's MLB bets. Let's just say that isn't the total picture. He's lost 2-3 million in one weekend more than once.

Jeff

In the bag:
:callaway: Epic Max 9.0 Project X Cypher 40 R 5.5
:tmade: R11S 3 Fairway
:ping: G425 4 & 5 hybrid 6-PW :cleveland: RTX 56 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2

Snoop Dog announced he’s going to stop smoking. Maybe they could get together and support eachother towards their goals.

• Funny 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

7 hours ago, Zeph said:

Snoop Dog announced he’s going to stop smoking. Maybe they could get together and support eachother towards their goals.

So Snoop starts gambling and Phil starts smoking doobies!

• Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• iacas changed the title to Phil Mickelson Topic
  • Administrator

This is how it feels when two people you really don't care about (or for) are fighting.

• Funny 3

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets